|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else happened to Cambodians during the Khmer Rouge regime?
2. What is the name of the lake by Dara's old village?
3. What is the something special that Sarun told Nea he had brought back?
4. What does Jantu make out of banana leaves?
5. What does Sarun return with from the second mass distribution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What injury does Baby have and what is done about it?
2. What two important events happened in Southeast Asia in 1975?
3. What does Sarun proudly show Nea when he returns from the distribution center?
4. What happened during the 1970s which led to open conflict in Cambodia?
5. What does Sarun tell his family about Nong Chan?
6. Give a short description of the happier days Dara remembered when she was two or three?
7. Describe the first person to welcome Dara's family to Nong Chan.
8. Why does Dara's family decide to travel to the refugee camp on the Thai-Cambodian border?
9. What were some of the things that happened to the Cambodian people under the Khmer Rouge?
10. What does Jantu do when Dara tells her she cannot find her way back to the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What was the story of "Khong the Brave" ? Tell the story.
2. What is the story of the famiy of deaf men that Jantu told to Dara? How does it relate to the war in Cambodia?
3. What did Jantu make with her hands? What materials did she use?
4. Choose two of the above topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1. Describe the discussion Dara , Sarun and Nea had about the special pass Dara had to have to go to the hospital to get Jantu and Baby. What did Sarun say was preventing him from getting the pass right away?
What was going to take place that also prevented him from going?
2. When Dara said they should go and get Jantu the next day, what did Sarun reply? What were his excuses not to go right away?
3. Instead of planting rice what are Sarun's concerns and interests now?
4. Choose two of the above to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1. What huge undertaking did Nea and Dara do without telling Sarun?
2. How did Dara get Sarun to ask for the special pass to Khao I Dang?
3. Why couldn't Sarun go along with Nea and Dara to the hospital? What did that foreshadow?
4. Choose two of the topics to write on.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)