|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What persuades the family to start packing?
2. What sound does Dara hear in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What injury does Jantu's baby brother have?
4. How did the author view the refugees?
5. During the last two hundred years whose colonialism had Cambodia survived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is left of Nea's family?
2. What does Jantu do when Dara tells her she cannot find her way back to the camp?
3. What does Jantu make for Dara that makes her feel better after Chnay destroys a pair of dolls Jantu made?
4. Where do Jantu and Dara build a shelter and what do they do there?
5. What happens to Dara when she runs for help for Baby?
6. What are the basic rations refugee families receive and what do they do when they first arrive at camp?
7. What were some of the things that happened to the Cambodian people under the Khmer Rouge?
8. What do Sarun and his family do after their first breakfast in the camp?
9. What are of the stories Jantu tells to Dara?
10. Describe the first person to welcome Dara's family to Nong Chan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Who was Chnay? Describe him.
2. Describe the first appearance of the magic marble. How did it become magic? What was Dara's first response to it? How did she feel about it at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What did Jantu make by the stone pillar? How were the things she made significant to hers and Dara's future?
4. Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1. What did Dara's family talk about around the campfire after they had been re-united at the base camp? Mention some of the comments of the people there.
2. What did Nea say about the magic marble?
3. How had Sarun changed since he arrived at the base camp?
4.Choose two of the topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1. Describe Dara's job in the kitchen. What was the cook like?
2. Where did the cook take Dara after she had worked in the kitchen a while? What was she told to do there? What dis she disapprove of that the women were doing?
3. How was Dara re-united with her familyl?
4. Choose two of the above to write on.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)