|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Khao I Dang different from Nong Chan?
(a) Everything is in perfect order.
(b) There's a huge lake in the middle of the camp.
(c) It's surrounded by a high wooden fence.
(d) There are many fruit trees.
2. What kind of personality does the cook have?
(a) Sad and introverted.
3. How far away is the base camp where Dara wants to search for her family?
(a) About four miles.
(b) About two miles.
(c) About three miles.
(d) About five miles.
4. How will Nea and Dara get to the refugee camp where Jantu and Baby are in the hospital?
(a) In a Thai ambulance.
(b) By foot.
(c) In an oxcart.
(d) In a Red Cross Van.
5. What does Dara see in the fading sunlight on her way back to the campsite?
(a) The stone pillar.
(b) The huge tamarind tree.
(c) The river.
(d) Silhouettes of the tall watch towers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many tries did Chnay make in order to perfect the wooden cowbell he carved for Dara?
2. When does Sarun ask his commanding officer for the pass?
3. In what kind of tree was the skylark perched when Dara heard it sing?
4. What is Sarun's reaction when Dara and Nea show him the the oxcarts fully packed and ready to go?
5. How long has it been since Dara saw Jantu and her baby brother in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dara's mother tend to Jantu after she'd brought back to the base camp in Chapter 16?
2. How does Dara prove her courage in Chapter 17?
3. When does Chnay finally show up the first day Dara works in the kitchen , what does Dara give him and what does he say?
4. What is the legacy of the magic marble and the clay toys Jantu taught Dara to make?
5. In Chapter 18 what does Nea reveal to Dara about the marbles?
6. Describe Jantu's cremation.
7. Describe the chores Dara is ordered to do by the bad-tempered cook in the kitchen the first day?
8. What does Dara do in Chapter 13 to prepare for the trip home to Siem Reap?
9. What happens to Dara and Sarun when they return to Siem Reap?
10. Who do they meet in the hospital when they find Jantu and her baby brother?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)