|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the ruler who had ruled Cambodia when Dara was two- or three-years-old look like?
(a) Round-faced and smiling.
(b) Large with a mean face.
(c) Thin and dark.
(d) Sad and little.
2. Where do the villagers hide during the bombing?
(a) In the forest.
(b) In the temple.
(c) In trenches dug by the farmers.
(d) In their houses.
3. What happened when Vietnamese troops invaded Cambodia?
(a) Cambodians were able to flee their country.
(b) Cambodians began to back the Khmer Rouge.
(c) Cambodians gave up all hope.
(d) Cambodians suffered even more hardship.
4. What do the Khmer Rouge soldiers tell them over and over?
(a) Cambodians were inferior people.
(b) They loved Cambodians.
(c) Cambodia was a family, the Communist party the parent.
(d) Prosperous times were coming.
5. What caused open conflict to break out in Cambodia in the 1970s
(a) War with Thailand.
(b) War with Vietnam.
(c) The rich versus the poor people in Cambodia.
(d) The U.S., Soviet Union and China backing political groups.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the refugee camp on the Thai-Cambodian border?
2. What color were the Communist soldiers dressed in?
3. What sound does Dara hear in the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. How many Cambodian men, women and children were killed under the Khmer Rouge dictatorship?
5. How old is Nea who welcomed Dara's family to the refugee camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suddenly disturbs the relative peace of the camp?
2. What injury does Baby have and what is done about it?
3. What happened during the 1970s which led to open conflict in Cambodia?
4. What were some of the things that happened to the Cambodian people under the Khmer Rouge?
5. Give a short account of the the wars Cambodia was involved in before the 1970s?
6. What does Sarun proudly show Nea when he returns from the distribution center?
7. Who marched into Dara's village shortly after she turned twelve and what did they do?
8. Why does Dara's family decide to travel to the refugee camp on the Thai-Cambodian border?
9. Who is hurt during the bombing of the trucks and what is done about it?
10. What happens to Dara when she runs for help for Baby?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)