|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Dara have?
2. What does the family talk about first when they are reunited and sit around the campfire?
(a) The coming monsoons.
(b) Going home to their village.
(c) The magic marble.
(d) Sarun's transformation into a soldier.
3. Where does the cook take Dara on the next day in Chapter 12?
(a) Past the parade grounds to a low, thatched shed.
(b) To the garden to gather vegetables.
(c) To the orchard to pick fruit.
(d) To Kung Silor.
4. How long has it been since Dara saw Jantu and her baby brother in Chapter 13?
(a) Over two weeks.
(b) Over a month.
(c) Over a week.
(d) Over five days.
5. Who had Chnay made friends with besides some loner boys?
(a) A little girl.
(b) A Buddhist priest.
(c) The monkey.
(d) A motherly woman.
6. When Nea and Dara ask Sarun to get the pass to Khao I Dang from his commanding officer what does he say?
(a) "I'm sorry not now, but I'll try tomorrow."
(b) "You go get the pass yourselves."
(c) "Impossible, my commanding officer is very busy."
(d) "I'll do it right away."
7. What kind of personality does the cook have?
(b) Sad and introverted.
8. Who goes to the flag-raising to see Sarun?
(a) Nea and Mother.
(b) Nea, Mother, Dara and Chnay.
(c) Nea and Dara.
(d) Nea, Mother and Grandpa Kem.
9. What plea does Dara make to find her mother?
(a) She please with soldiers she meets to help find her mother.
(b) She asks the magic marble for help her find her mother.
(c) She asks Lord Buddha's help to find her mother.
(d) She pleas with refugees she meets to help find her mother.
10. What is Dara doing as she talks with Sarun about enlisting versus going home to plant rice?
(b) Shaking with emotion.
(c) Shaping a clay marble.
(d) Silently praying to Lord Buddha.
11. Who is the last member of the family to agree to go with the caravan before Sarun agreed to go?
(a) Grandpa Kem.
12. Where does Dara hear reports of a peace plan?
(a) In the newspaper.
(b) From Sarun.
(c) From a neighboring village.
(d) Over the radio.
13. Who helps Dara get a job in the camp kitchen?
(a) Kung Silor.
(c) A Khmer Serei soldier.
(d) The kitchen cook.
14. What is Sarun's reaction when Dara and Nea show him the the oxcarts fully packed and ready to go?
(a) He is surprised and angry.
(b) He is proud of Dara and Nea.
(c) He is overjoyed.
(d) He is ashamed.
15. What does Dara's mother smell like when she holds Dara in her arms?
(a) Wet earth after a rainstorm.
(b) Sweet flowers that used to grow in Dara's village.
(d) Rice and stew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jantu compare war to?
2. What does Jantu first ask Dara to do?
3. Where do Dara and Chnay sleep that first night in the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. What does Dara have to do on the afternoon of the second day?
5. Why isn't Dara's family at the campsite when Dara arrives there?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)