|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Khao I Dang different from Nong Chan?
(a) There's a huge lake in the middle of the camp.
(b) There are many fruit trees.
(c) Everything is in perfect order.
(d) It's surrounded by a high wooden fence.
2. How will Nea and Dara get to the refugee camp where Jantu and Baby are in the hospital?
(a) In a Red Cross Van.
(b) In a Thai ambulance.
(c) By foot.
(d) In an oxcart.
3. What does the cook call Dara on the next day in Chapter 12?
(a) A sweet and pretty girl.
(b) A nasty, little Cambodian.
(c) A skinny, little orphan.
(d) A helpful little girl.
4. What does Sarun announce to his family after the military demonstration and speech?
(a) That he is going to enlist.
(b) That he hates war.
(c) That he now wants to go home to Cambodia.
(d) That he wants to marry Nea immediately.
5. What does Duoic finally do for himself after he had tried to get someone else to do it for him?
(a) Get a book from under his bed.
(b) Call a nurse.
(c) Arrange his pillows.
(d) Get his water bottle.
6. What is Sarun's reaction when Dara and Nea show him the the oxcarts fully packed and ready to go?
(a) He is ashamed.
(b) He is surprised and angry.
(c) He is proud of Dara and Nea.
(d) He is overjoyed.
7. What are the girls taking turns doing when they are walking in the forest toward the base camp?
(a) Feeding Baby.
(b) Singing to Baby.
(c) Holding Baby.
(d) Rubbing each other's backs.
8. The words spoken over the loudspeaker during the demonstration are likened to what?
(a) Words of a hypnotist to his patient.
(b) Cheers during a sports game.
(c) Paper streamers fluttering in the air.
(d) Bullets flying through the air.
9. When do Dara and Nea ask Sarun to get them a pass to find Jantu and Baby?
(a) During his military drills.
(b) At night in front of the camp fire.
(c) They wake him in the night.
(d) Before he leaves for his military drills the next morning.
10. How many years had passed in the Afterword since the time at the border?
11. To whom does Dara give some of her rice?
(a) A little lost boy.
(b) A little lost girl.
(c) A monkey on a chain.
(d) An old man.
12. What character quality do Dara and Sarun discuss as they talk of Sarun's enlisting in the war?
13. When does Chnay show up for food on the first day Dara works in the kitchen?
(a) In the evening when the crescent moon hung in the sky.
(b) When the sun was just setting.
(c) When it is pitch-dark and the full moon has risen.
(d) At night when it had started to rain.
14. Where had Nea and Dara parked the oxcarts?
(a) In a banana grove.
(b) Next to the parade ground.
(c) By a large tamarind tree.
(d) In the forest near the base camp.
15. What does Dara do the next morning in the kitchen?
(a) Scrubs very dirty pots.
(b) Starts the lunch.
(c) Polishes silverware.
(d) Peels potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tragic event happens in the forest on the way back to the base camp?
2. What are the sexes of Nea's and Sarun's children?
3. In what kind of tree was the skylark perched when Dara heard it sing?
4. What does Nea say as she sobs after seeing Jantu is dead?
5. After Nea, Dara and the others have prepared the ox carts for the trip home; in how many days will the caravan to Siem Reap leave?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)