|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had Chnay made friends with besides some loner boys?
(a) The monkey.
(b) A motherly woman.
(c) A little girl.
(d) A Buddhist priest.
2. What makes Sarun change his mind and go ask for the pass?
(a) Dara threatens to go to Kung Silor herself and ask.
(b) He is suddenly ashamed of himself for his selfishness.
(c) Mother pleads with him.
(d) Nea flirts with him.
3. What does Dara's mother smell like when she holds Dara in her arms?
(a) Wet earth after a rainstorm.
(c) Rice and stew.
(d) Sweet flowers that used to grow in Dara's village.
4. What do Dara and Chnay see in a clearing in the forest?
(a) Refugee families around campfires.
(b) A herd of deer.
(c) Young women and men dancing.
(d) Soldiers marching and singing.
5. What time is it when they finally arrive at the Khao I Dang refugee camp?
(a) High noon.
(b) 2 pm.
(c) 3 pm.
(d) 1 pm.
6. Where do Chnay and Dara pause after going down a path veering off from the square farther into the camp?
(a) At a large wooden shelter that smelled of food.
(b) At a narrow wooden bridge spanning a deep trench.
(c) At a tamarind tree when they stop to rest.
(d) At a stream where they bathed their feet.
7. What does Sarun now think is more important than planting rice?
(a) Going to get Jantu and her baby brother.
(b) Marrying Nea.
(c) Enlisting in Kung Silor's army.
(d) The flag-raising and marching before the Prince.
8. What is Jantu's second request of Dara after her baby brother is in the hammock with her?
(a) To tell a story.
(b) To bring a little rice to eat.
(c) To stoke her forehead.
(d) To rock the hammock and sing.
9. When do Dara and Nea ask Sarun to get them a pass to find Jantu and Baby?
(a) During his military drills.
(b) Before he leaves for his military drills the next morning.
(c) At night in front of the camp fire.
(d) They wake him in the night.
10. How old is Duoic?
(a) Eight or nine.
(b) Thirteen or fourteen.
(c) Fifteen or sixteen.
(d) Ten or eleven.
11. Where does Mother live after they return home to Siem Reap?
(a) With a neighbor.
(b) With Nea and Sarun.
(d) With Grandpa Kem.
12. What does Jantu compare war to?
(b) A joke.
(c) A mystery.
(d) A soccer game.
13. Who is the leader of the Khmer Serei soldiers?
(a) General Kang Salor.
(b) General Kong Sulir.
(c) General King Sulir.
(d) General Kung Silor.
14. Where is most of the fighting taking place?
(a) On the border.
(b) In the West.
(c) In the East.
(d) In the North.
15. What are the sexes of Nea's and Sarun's children?
(a) Two girls and a boy.
(b) Two boys and a girl.
(c) Three boys.
(d) Three girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dara and Chnay sleep that first night in the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. How many women were busy pounding rice?
3. What does Sarun say is the big chance he now has?
4. Where had Nea and Dara parked the oxcarts?
5. What does Dara have to do on the afternoon of the second day?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)