|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dara asks Chnay in what direction her family went, what does he answer?
2. Where is most of the fighting taking place?
(a) In the North.
(b) In the East.
(c) On the border.
(d) In the West.
3. Who is the last member of the family to agree to go with the caravan before Sarun agreed to go?
(c) Grandpa Kem.
4. What could Dara see behind the grove of jacaranda trees over the thatched roof of the kitchen.
(a) Monkeys swinging through the trees.
(b) The blue-and-white Khmer Serei flag.
(c) A flock of birds.
(d) Several sarongs drying on a line.
5. What does Jantu compare war to?
(b) A joke.
(c) A soccer game.
(d) A mystery.
6. Where was the magic--in Jantu's marble or in Dara's marble?
(a) In Dara's marble.
(b) In Jantu's marble.
(c) In neither, but rather in Jantu and Dara themselves.
(d) In both marbles.
7. How will Nea and Dara get to the refugee camp where Jantu and Baby are in the hospital?
(a) In an oxcart.
(b) In a Thai ambulance.
(c) In a Red Cross Van.
(d) By foot.
8. Where does the cook take Dara on the next day in Chapter 12?
(a) Past the parade grounds to a low, thatched shed.
(b) To Kung Silor.
(c) To the orchard to pick fruit.
(d) To the garden to gather vegetables.
9. Why isn't Dara's family at the campsite when Dara arrives there?
(a) They went to the soldiers' base camp to be safe.
(b) They went home to Cambodia.
(c) They went to look for Dara, Jantu and Baby.
(d) They were killed in a bombing.
10. Who goes to the flag-raising to see Sarun?
(a) Nea and Mother.
(b) Nea, Mother and Grandpa Kem.
(c) Nea and Dara.
(d) Nea, Mother, Dara and Chnay.
11. When does Chnay show up for food on the first day Dara works in the kitchen?
(a) When it is pitch-dark and the full moon has risen.
(b) In the evening when the crescent moon hung in the sky.
(c) When the sun was just setting.
(d) At night when it had started to rain.
12. What is in the middle of the clearing in the forest?
(a) The Khmer Serei General.
(b) The Thai flag.
(c) A tall bamboo watch tower.
(d) The blue and white Khmer Serei flag.
13. What does Dara do the next morning in the kitchen?
(a) Polishes silverware.
(b) Scrubs very dirty pots.
(c) Peels potatoes.
(d) Starts the lunch.
14. Who is the leader of the Khmer Serei soldiers?
(a) General Kang Salor.
(b) General Kong Sulir.
(c) General Kung Silor.
(d) General King Sulir.
15. What is Sarun's reaction when Dara and Nea show him the the oxcarts fully packed and ready to go?
(a) He is surprised and angry.
(b) He is overjoyed.
(c) He is ashamed.
(d) He is proud of Dara and Nea.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Dara and Nea ask Sarun to get them a pass to find Jantu and Baby?
2. What kind of moon is rising as Dara tries to find her way back to her family?
3. What had Dara placed over Jantu before she was cremated?
4. What does Dara see in the fading sunlight on her way back to the campsite?
5. Why does Dara call to Mother and Nea in alarm in the morning?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)