|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the author serve the refugees in Thailand?
(a) She taught the children.
(b) She administered first aid.
(c) She told stories to the children.
(d) She helped set up supplementary feeding programs.
2. How many times a day are the bombs dropped on the village?
(a) About twice a day.
(b) As often as five or six times a day.
(c) Once a day.
(d) As otten as three or four times a day.
3. Where was Jantu's father killed?
(a) On the front porch of her house.
(b) In the mango orchard behind her house.
(c) In th e rice paddy behind her house.
(d) In the guava orchard behind her house.
4. What does Sarun return with from the second mass distribution?
(a) Hoe heads and fishnets.
(b) Varous fruits.
(c) Vegetables for stew.
(d) More rice seed.
5. What does Jantu tell Dara after all her dolls and toys had been destroyed?
(a) "My heart is broken like the toys."
(b) "Never mind, we can always start something new".
(c) "Life is so hard."
(d) "I'll never make a toy again."
6. What is Grandpa Kem's team told to do after they register at the camp headquarters?
(a) Return in two days.
(b) Return in three days.
(c) Wait to be notified at their shelter.
(d) Return the next day.
7. What sound does Dara hear in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) The mooing of a cow.
(b) The sound guns and bombs..
(c) The tinkling of a cow bell.
(d) The sound of dogs barking.
8. Who had ruled Cambodia when Dara was two- or three-years-old?
(a) Prince Songdacha.
(b) Prince Soknung.
(c) Prince Sihanouk.
(d) Prince Singnang.
9. What does Jantu make out of banana leaves?
(a) Two small boats.
(b) Tiny hammocks for her clay village.
(c) A bracelet for Dara and one for herself.
(d) A plump goldfish or angular frogs.
10. What river 80 miles upstream from Cambodia did the author stroll along?
(a) The Yangtze River.
(b) The Cambodian River.
(c) The Mecong River.
(d) The Yellow River.
11. What is the name of the refugee camp on the Thai-Cambodian border?
(a) Nong Chan.
(b) Ning Chang.
(c) Siem Chan.
(d) Lul Chan.
12. What is the Khmer Serei resistance doing to counter the Vietnamese attack?
(a) Invading Cambodia.
(b) Building up their arms.
(c) Fleeing deeper into Thailand.
(d) Recruiting more men.
13. When Dara arrives at the Tamarind tree how many people are already lying under it?
14. How does Jantu comfort Dara at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) She tells her a comforting story.
(b) She sings Dara a lullaby.
(c) She makes her a magic clay marble.
(d) She tells Dara how proud she is of her.
15. What does Jantu do when she wants absolute silence?
(a) She prays to Buddha for silence.
(b) She wears a frown of concentration.
(c) She shouts "Keep quiet now".
(d) She folds her arms and glares.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the head of the Khmer Rouge?
2. What color are the Thai soldiers' uniforms?
3. What group inside Cambodia is mobilizing its forces for one last attack as part of their dry season offensive?
4. Whose father loved mangoes?
5. Where do the villagers hide during the bombing?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)