|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jantu tell Dara after all her dolls and toys had been destroyed?
(a) "I'll never make a toy again."
(b) "My heart is broken like the toys."
(c) "Never mind, we can always start something new".
(d) "Life is so hard."
2. How old is Nea who welcomed Dara's family to the refugee camp?
(d) Eighteen or nineteen.
3. How far is the camp headquarters from where Dara's family is living?
(a) Three and a half miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) One and a half miles.
4. What does Sarun want to do in the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Join the army and fight for Cambodia.
(b) Emigrate to the United States
(c) Gather supplies and go home to plant before the monsoons.
(d) Settle in Thailand.
5. What is the name of the woman who wrote this book?
(a) Waeprae Ho.
(b) Fongchu Ho.
(c) Minfong Ho.
(d) Leesong Ho.
6. What happened when Vietnamese troops invaded Cambodia?
(a) Cambodians suffered even more hardship.
(b) Cambodians began to back the Khmer Rouge.
(c) Cambodians gave up all hope.
(d) Cambodians were able to flee their country.
7. How did the author serve the refugees in Thailand?
(a) She helped set up supplementary feeding programs.
(b) She told stories to the children.
(c) She taught the children.
(d) She administered first aid.
8. What does Jantu do to the clay marble to make it magic?
(a) She asks Buddha to bless it.
(b) She carves a tiny d into it with a tiny stick.
(c) She blows on it.
(d) She blesses it.
9. Where do Jantu and Dara take their food truck food to eat it?
(a) Back to their shelter.
(b) To the stream running through the camp.
(c) Under the shade of a tamarind tree.
(d) Under the shade of an acacia tree.
10. What is the name of Dara's village?
(a) Sniep Riem.
(b) Siem Riep.
(c) Siam Rang.
(d) Dnang Reep.
11. Who had ruled Cambodia when Dara was two- or three-years-old?
(a) Prince Singnang.
(b) Prince Soknung.
(c) Prince Songdacha.
(d) Prince Sihanouk.
12. What injury does Jantu's baby brother have?
(a) A fractured ankle.
(b) A broken leg.
(c) A fractured wrist.
(d) A broken arm.
13. What was Dara's village like when she was two- or three-years-old?
(a) Almost empty.
(b) Poor and needy.
(c) Ravaged and bombed.
(d) Peaceful and prosperous.
14. What does Sarun return with from the second mass distribution?
(a) Varous fruits.
(b) Vegetables for stew.
(c) More rice seed.
(d) Hoe heads and fishnets.
15. How did the author view the refugees?
(a) As suffering, hungry people.
(b) As victims of a ruthless regime.
(c) As poor, needy people.
(d) As victors determined to start their lives over.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the author on her first day at the border?
2. What did the Communist soldiers tell the villagers?
3. What else happened to Cambodians during the Khmer Rouge regime?
4. About how many people were estimated to be at camp Nong Chan?
5. What color are the Thai soldiers' uniforms?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)