|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1 and 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened in the same year the Khmer Rouge declared victory in Cambodia?
(a) Cambodians rallied under one of their soldiers.
(b) South and North Vietnam turned against one another.
(c) The US entered the Vietnam war.
(d) The Communists "liberated" Vietnam.
2. How did the author view the refugees?
(a) As poor, needy people.
(b) As victors determined to start their lives over.
(c) As victims of a ruthless regime.
(d) As suffering, hungry people.
3. What river 80 miles upstream from Cambodia did the author stroll along?
(a) The Mecong River.
(b) The Yangtze River.
(c) The Yellow River.
(d) The Cambodian River.
4. How many Cambodian men, women and children were killed under the Khmer Rouge dictatorship?
(a) More than 70 thousand.
(b) More than a million and a half.
(c) More than one million.
(d) More than 80 thousand.
5. What does Dara's mother do before departing for the refugee camp?
(a) She packs the family's clothes.
(b) She gathers her family around her, telling them she loved them.
(c) She digs up her silver Buddha figure.
(d) She packs provisions of rice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Cambodia's history date back to in the Preface?
2. What is the name of Dara's village?
3. How old is Nea who welcomed Dara's family to the refugee camp?
4. What else happened to Cambodians during the Khmer Rouge regime?
5. The author of the book took a leave of absence from what university in order to travel to Thailand?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)