• Cambodia's history dates back over a thousand years to the building of the Buddhist temple complex of Angkor.
• Cambodia remains a powerful kingdom for centuries expanding and shrinking in border wars with Thailand, Laos and Vietnam.
• In the last two centuries it survived French colonialism , WWI and WWII and remained neutral throughout most of the Vietnam War.
• During the 1970's the US, the USSR and China backevarious political groups in Cambodia and open conflict breaks out.
• In 1975 the Communists "liberates" Vietnam and the Khmer Rouge declares victory in Cambodia.
• The Cambodian people suffer greatly under the Khmer Rouge regime. Over a million men, women and children are killed.
• Cambodians are shut off from the rest of the world.
• When the Vietnamese invade, Cambodians are able to flee and the world finds out about the horrors taking place in Cambodia.
• Night after night television programs show the gaunt...
This section contains 2,646 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)