|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing his relationship with Mr. G, Vassa mentions that he enjoyed correspondence with Mr. G until the man died in which year?
2. According to Prince, one of Mr. D----'s slaves steals a bit of rice and eats it for dinner. What is the name of this slave?
3. In Chapter 11, where does Dr. Irving tell Vassa he wishes to start a plantation?
4. Upon arriving at the Grand Quay, Prince is sent to the house of her new master. What is her new master's name?
5. What is the name of the church Vassa visits in the opening of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Pringle give in the preface for why the full names of Captain and Mrs. I---- and Mr. D---- have not been printed?
2. At the end of his narrative, what is Vassa's major argument for why the slave trade should end?
3. According to the preface of Mary Prince's narrative, why did she wish to write her story?
4. What is the conflict between Vassa and Mr. Read after he is freed?
5. Describe Vassa's response to his continued slavery after he is sold.
6. What events lead to Prince being placed with Mrs. Pruden, after her service with the Williams family?
7. What is the subject of the poem at the end of Chapter 10?
8. Describe the Embrenche mark as detailed by Vassa when discussing his tribe's culture.
9. Describe the concerns of Vassa's master when another slave accuses Vassa of plotting to escape and the resultant agreement about Vassa's freedom.
10. After Mrs. Williams' death, Mrs. Pruden tells Prince that she will be sold. What reason does Mrs. Pruden give for the sale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast societal attitudes on race as described by one of the four authors with the state of race in America today. What are the major differences and similarities? Include outside research and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the treatment Mary Prince receives at the hands of her various masters. Be sure to include details and supporting information from her narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the reason why slaves were commonly separated from their families. What logistical purpose did the separation serve? Detail three ways in which the separation of family members benefited the slave system, as discussed by Douglass, and include supporting information from his narrative.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)