|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Reverend who teaches Prince while her new master is away in Scotland?
2. As Vassa discusses the customs of his people, he mentions a mark of distinction that the elders wear over the eyebrows. What is this mark called?
3. What is the name of Vassa's new wife?
4. What does the name "Olaudah" mean in Vassa's native language, according to his description of his childhood?
5. Which of the following jobs does Vassa perform at the end of Chapter 8 that he has never performed before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the manner in which Vassa earns the nickname "Captain" after purchasing his freedom.
2. Discuss Prince's reaction to Hetty upon being sold to Captain I---- and arriving at his household.
3. What happens when Prince meets her mother again during her time on Turk's Island?
4. When discussing his culture, Vassa notes that they have several things in common with Jews; what are these similarities?
5. At the end of his narrative, what is Vassa's major argument for why the slave trade should end?
6. Describe the trick men attempt to use to capture Vassa in Savannah.
7. After Hetty's death, Prince is severely beaten for what mistake?
8. According to the preface of Mary Prince's narrative, why did she wish to write her story?
9. Describe Vassa's experience with Quakers in Chapter 7.
10. What sort of life does Vassa find when he comes into contact with Captain Doran and Mr. King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Douglass' assertion that the slave system is harmful not only to slaves, but also to slave owners. Explore his claims in detail and include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
All four of the authors represented in this collection have slightly different reasons for writing their stories. Compare and contrast their motives in a well-developed essay. Include supporting information from all four narratives.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the slave trade into which Gustavus Vassa is sold with the slave system he speaks of in his recollections of growing up in Africa. Highlight three major similarities or differences between the Western slave trade and the slave system common to African tribes.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)