|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Prince is sold to pay for her master's wedding, which of the following children is most unhappy to see her go?
2. In his exploration of religions, Vassa touches on all BUT WHICH of the following religions?
3. How long do Vassa and his crew mates spend in New Providence on their visit?
4. What is the name of the slave owner with whom Vassa has trouble after purchasing his freedom?
5. In Chapter 11, where does Dr. Irving tell Vassa he wishes to start a plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vassa's early childhood as discussed in Chapter 2.
2. Describe the concerns of Vassa's master when another slave accuses Vassa of plotting to escape and the resultant agreement about Vassa's freedom.
3. Why is Prince unwilling to take her things and return to Antigua after leaving the Woods' service?
4. What description does Vassa give of the Indians he and Dr. Irving meet in Cadiz?
5. In Chapter 6, what decision does Vassa say he has reached about the life of a free black person?
6. What is the subject of the poem at the end of Chapter 10?
7. Explain Prince's mother's remark made to a fellow slave while preparing her children for sale, that the woman's turn will come next.
8. What does Pringle state about his wishes for British law in regards to slavery at the end of his Supplement to Prince's narrative?
9. What is the conflict between Vassa and Mr. Read after he is freed?
10. What is the fate of Hetty in Captain I-----'s household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a well-developed essay, explore the concept of age as it relates to Douglass. What does chronological age represent for him? Illustrate the ways in which age is a symbol for Douglass' slavery.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast societal attitudes on race as described by one of the four authors with the state of race in America today. What are the major differences and similarities? Include outside research and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-developed essay, discuss and analyze the different viewpoints of Mary Prince's parents. What attitude does her mother have toward her, and how does it change throughout her story? What attitude does her father display? Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)