|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, where does Dr. Irving tell Vassa he wishes to start a plantation?
2. In what year does Vassa arrive in Plymouth?
3. When speaking with Mr. G, Vassa says he thinks he does well with how many of the Ten Commandments?
4. Prince's new master puts her in charge of his son, a young boy named what?
5. Vassa argues toward the end of his narrative that Africa will produce opportunities in all BUT WHICH of the following areas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Prince unwilling to take her things and return to Antigua after leaving the Woods' service?
2. Explain Prince's mother's remark made to a fellow slave while preparing her children for sale, that the woman's turn will come next.
3. With what illnesses does Vassa contend upon arriving in London?
4. What is the response of Betsey Williams upon learning that Prince will be sold to raise money for her father's wedding?
5. What happens when Prince meets her mother again during her time on Turk's Island?
6. What is the subject of the poem at the end of Chapter 10?
7. While in England with the Woods family, what work is Prince compelled to do that is very difficult for her? How does Mr. Woods respond?
8. What description does Vassa give of the Indians he and Dr. Irving meet in Cadiz?
9. What is the conflict between Vassa and Mr. Read after he is freed?
10. Describe the manner in which Vassa earns the nickname "Captain" after purchasing his freedom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Mary Prince, the people at the slave auction look at the slaves carelessly. Why might she feel that way, and why might the auction attendees really be careless about it? Cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one other slave author with whom to compare and contrast Asa-Asa's story. Cite three examples in which Asa-Asa's narrative and your choice are similar, and be sure to include supporting information from both narratives.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Douglass' experience with slavery with that of Vassa. Include supporting information from both narratives.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)