|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name "Olaudah" mean in Vassa's native language, according to his description of his childhood?
2. Prince is born on a farm belonging to which of the following individuals?
3. Prince's new master puts her in charge of his son, a young boy named what?
4. After being sold to Mr. D--------, Prince is forced to dig up which of the following minerals?
5. After his initial voyage as a kidnapped slave, Vassa is taken off the slave ship at which Caribbean island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vassa's response to his continued slavery after he is sold.
2. What is the fate of Hetty in Captain I-----'s household?
3. Describe the concerns of Vassa's master when another slave accuses Vassa of plotting to escape and the resultant agreement about Vassa's freedom.
4. Describe the manner in which Vassa earns the nickname "Captain" after purchasing his freedom.
5. Describe the work required of Prince and the other slaves under the ownership of Mr. D-----.
6. What happens when Prince meets her mother again during her time on Turk's Island?
7. When discussing his culture, Vassa notes that they have several things in common with Jews; what are these similarities?
8. After being beaten by Captain I---- when a cow gets lose, Prince runs away to her mother. What is the result of this flight?
9. According to the preface of Mary Prince's narrative, why did she wish to write her story?
10. While in England with the Woods family, what work is Prince compelled to do that is very difficult for her? How does Mr. Woods respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Douglass' view of the Underground Railroad with the more conventional view. What arguments does Douglass give against the Railroad? Cite supporting information from his narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the slave trade into which Gustavus Vassa is sold with the slave system he speaks of in his recollections of growing up in Africa. Highlight three major similarities or differences between the Western slave trade and the slave system common to African tribes.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Douglass' experience with slavery with that of Vassa. Include supporting information from both narratives.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)