|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his discussion of his childhood, what does Douglass say is the name of the man who owns his mother?
(a) Mr. Gale.
(b) Mr. Winthrop.
(c) Mr. Stewart.
(d) Mr. Cage.
2. How old is Brent when her second child, a baby girl, is born?
3. At the beginning of the narrative, what does Brent say her is brother's name?
4. How long does Douglass live with his rented master?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 3 years.
5. At the end of the searching of the house in Chapter 12, how many lashes does the captain order the occupants to be given?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man looking for Brent at the end of the narrative?
2. How old is Douglass when he leaves Lloyd's plantation?
3. What is the name of the ship on which Douglass is sent from Baltimore to St. Michael's?
4. According to his discussion of his childhood, what is the name of Douglass' mother?
5. After Dr. Flint's death, Brent receives a letter from Emily Flint who has been married. What is Emily's new name?
Short Essay Questions
1. When discussing his childhood, why does Douglass say life is generally harder for slaves with white fathers than for other slaves with two black parents?
2. What does Douglass say about the reasons slaves sing in Chapter 2?
3. What is the result when Brent falls in love with a free black man?
4. Why does Brent start to fear her master when she is 15 years old?
5. At the beginning of his narrative, what reason does Douglass give for not knowing how old he is?
6. Why does Brent refuse Emily Dodge's request that she return home?
7. When Mrs. Auld begins to teach Douglass the alphabet, why is her husband upset?
8. What fright does Brent face in Chapters 35 and 36?
9. To what does Douglass attribute the negative changes in the Aulds toward the end of his time with them?
10. Explain the ploy by which Brent is able to convince Dr. Flint that she has indeed run away to New York while she is really hiding in her grandmother's attic.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)