|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city do the Brent and the Bruce family first visit on their trip together?
2. What is the name of the ship on which Douglass is sent from Baltimore to St. Michael's?
3. After Brent's deceiving letters home, Dr. Flint writes to the major of which city in search of her?
4. How old is Brent when her second child, a baby girl, is born?
5. What is the published reward for Brent after she has escaped?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the doctor Brent wishes Ellen to see in Chapter 33?
2. During Douglass' time with the Aulds, which of his former master's children dies?
3. Where is Douglass sent when he leaves Lloyd's plantation?
4. During which of the following years is Garrison's Preface dated?
5. According to his discussion of his childhood, what is the name of Douglass' mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the ploy by which Brent is able to convince Dr. Flint that she has indeed run away to New York while she is really hiding in her grandmother's attic.
2. Describe the Bruce household Brent finds after escaping North.
3. Describe the process by which Mrs. Bruce is able to buy Brent's freedom from Mr. Dodge.
4. Why, after purchasing her from Dr. Flint, does Mr. Sands agree to send Ellen to the North?
5. What sort of reception does Douglass find in the household of Thomas Auld?
6. To what does Douglass attribute the negative changes in the Aulds toward the end of his time with them?
7. What is Douglass' life like under Mr. Covey?
8. When Mrs. Auld begins to teach Douglass the alphabet, why is her husband upset?
9. When discussing his childhood, why does Douglass say life is generally harder for slaves with white fathers than for other slaves with two black parents?
10. What is the result when Brent falls in love with a free black man?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)