|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Ellen when Dr. Flint throws her in jail in an attempt to get information on Brent's whereabouts?
2. How old is Douglass when his mother dies?
3. What is the name of the woman who kills a slave for not staying awake all night to watch the baby in Chapter 4?
(a) Mrs. Cantor.
(b) Mrs. Giles.
(c) Mrs. Hicks.
(d) Mrs. Michaels.
4. By what animal is Benny bitten while Brent hides in her grandmother's attic?
5. How far is the distance between Brent's grandmother's house and the plantation house where Brent is sent to work?
(a) 8 miles.
(b) 5 miles.
(c) 12 miles.
(d) 16 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Brent when her second child, a baby girl, is born?
2. How long does Douglass live with his rented master?
3. How old is Brent's grandmother?
4. How long does Brent live in her grandmother's attic before actually running away?
5. How old is Douglass when he leaves Lloyd's plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Brent's narrative begins, when and how does Brent find out that she is a slave?
2. What does Douglass say about the reasons slaves sing in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Brent start to fear her master when she is 15 years old?
4. When discussing his childhood, why does Douglass say life is generally harder for slaves with white fathers than for other slaves with two black parents?
5. When Mrs. Auld begins to teach Douglass the alphabet, why is her husband upset?
6. Why, according to Douglass' recollection of his childhood, are infants separated from their mothers at such a young age in Maryland?
7. Why does Douglass not explain how he managed to escape to New York?
8. Explain the ploy by which Brent is able to convince Dr. Flint that she has indeed run away to New York while she is really hiding in her grandmother's attic.
9. Why, after purchasing her from Dr. Flint, does Mr. Sands agree to send Ellen to the North?
10. Describe the Bruce household Brent finds after escaping North.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)