|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After discovering he can't manage Douglass, Thomas Auld finally rents Douglass out to a man by what name?
(a) Mr. Handley.
(b) Mr. Cookman.
(c) Mr. Covey.
(d) Mr. Ewery.
2. When discussing slave conditions during his childhood, Douglass says that slaves were allotted how many pounds of pork or fish per month?
3. How long does Douglass live with his rented master?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 4 months.
(d) 9 months.
4. How old is Douglass when he comes across the book "The Columbian Orator" in his private pursuit of education?
5. What is the name of the two slaves given the task of overseeing the livery and horses for Douglass' master?
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon arriving at the Auld household, Douglass learns that he is to care for their young child by what name?
2. After Brent's deceiving letters home, Dr. Flint writes to the major of which city in search of her?
3. Brent says in Chapter 22 that Christmas donations frequently reach what sum?
4. With what friend does Brent reunite in Chapter 40?
5. How long does Brent live in her grandmother's attic before actually running away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Brent's repeated correspondence with Dr. Flint in Chapter 34?
2. As Brent's narrative begins, when and how does Brent find out that she is a slave?
3. Why does Brent refuse Emily Dodge's request that she return home?
4. According to Chapter 11, what is Douglass' opinion of the Underground Railroad?
5. At the beginning of his narrative, what reason does Douglass give for not knowing how old he is?
6. Why, according to Douglass' recollection of his childhood, are infants separated from their mothers at such a young age in Maryland?
7. What sort of reception does Douglass find in the household of Thomas Auld?
8. Why does Douglass not explain how he managed to escape to New York?
9. What is Douglass' life like under Mr. Covey?
10. Why does Brent start to fear her master when she is 15 years old?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)