|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take for Ellen to arrive in Brooklyn after she leaves Mr. Sands?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 6 months.
2. Garrison states in his Preface that Douglass proves slaves in Maryland were treated slightly better than slaves in all BUT WHICH of the following states?
3. During which of the following years is Garrison's Preface dated?
4. What is the name of the slave who is killed by the new overseer at Lloyd's plantation?
5. What is the name of the doctor Brent wishes Ellen to see in Chapter 33?
(a) Dr. Long.
(b) Dr. Elliot.
(c) Dr. Durham.
(d) Dr. Peters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Douglass' aunt who is badly beaten when he is a child?
2. How far is the distance between Brent's grandmother's house and the plantation house where Brent is sent to work?
3. What is the name of the pastor in Chapter 13?
4. What is the name of the kind pastor in Chapter 31 who takes Brent and her friend in?
5. How old is Douglass when he comes across the book "The Columbian Orator" in his private pursuit of education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Brent's repeated correspondence with Dr. Flint in Chapter 34?
2. Why does Douglass not explain how he managed to escape to New York?
3. Describe the process by which Douglass teaches himself to write after Mrs. Auld stops teaching him.
4. According to Chapter 11, what is Douglass' opinion of the Underground Railroad?
5. When discussing his childhood, why does Douglass say life is generally harder for slaves with white fathers than for other slaves with two black parents?
6. According to Douglass, why does Mrs. Hicks murder the young slave girl who was watching the baby?
7. What sort of reception does Douglass find in the household of Thomas Auld?
8. Describe the process by which Mrs. Bruce is able to buy Brent's freedom from Mr. Dodge.
9. At the beginning of his narrative, what reason does Douglass give for not knowing how old he is?
10. Why, after purchasing her from Dr. Flint, does Mr. Sands agree to send Ellen to the North?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)