|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Vassa's friend who teaches him to shave and read?
2. While preparing to take her children to be sold, who does Prince's mother tell that her turn to be parted from her child will come?
3. According to Prince, one of Mr. D----'s slaves steals a bit of rice and eats it for dinner. What is the name of this slave?
4. In Chapter 3, Vassa has chillblains and is unable to enjoy which place he'd been excited to see?
(d) New York.
5. To which of the following people is Vassa sold at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Commodore Stanhope.
(b) Lord Howe.
(c) Captain Doran.
(d) Commodore Dennis.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a free man, Vassa accepts 7 pounds to accompany which captain to London?
2. What is the name of the slave owner with whom Vassa has trouble after purchasing his freedom?
3. In what year does Vassa arrive in Plymouth?
4. By what name is Vassa called during his time on board the "Industrious Bee" trading ship?
5. Which of the following jobs does Vassa perform at the end of Chapter 8 that he has never performed before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict between Vassa and Mr. Read after he is freed?
2. At the end of his narrative, what is Vassa's major argument for why the slave trade should end?
3. Discuss Prince's reaction to Hetty upon being sold to Captain I---- and arriving at his household.
4. After being beaten by Captain I---- when a cow gets lose, Prince runs away to her mother. What is the result of this flight?
5. Describe the Embrenche mark as detailed by Vassa when discussing his tribe's culture.
6. Describe the concerns of Vassa's master when another slave accuses Vassa of plotting to escape and the resultant agreement about Vassa's freedom.
7. Describe Vassa's experience with Quakers in Chapter 7.
8. Describe the manner in which Vassa earns the nickname "Captain" after purchasing his freedom.
9. What sort of life does Vassa find when he comes into contact with Captain Doran and Mr. King?
10. Describe Vassa's response to his continued slavery after he is sold.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)