|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take for Ellen to arrive in Brooklyn after she leaves Mr. Sands?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 2 years.
2. How old is Brent's grandmother?
3. Where is Douglass sent when he leaves Lloyd's plantation?
4. What is the name of the friend with whom Brent is reunited on the ship as she runs away?
5. In what year does Douglass say he went to St. Michael's?
6. In his discussion of his childhood, what does Douglass say is the name of the man who owns his mother?
(a) Mr. Cage.
(b) Mr. Winthrop.
(c) Mr. Stewart.
(d) Mr. Gale.
7. After Douglass' aunt is beaten, he learns that she has been meeting her boyfriend. What is the name of the boyfriend?
8. What is the name of the woman who kills a slave for not staying awake all night to watch the baby in Chapter 4?
(a) Mrs. Michaels.
(b) Mrs. Hicks.
(c) Mrs. Cantor.
(d) Mrs. Giles.
9. Upon arriving at the Auld household, Douglass learns that he is to care for their young child by what name?
10. During which of the following years is Garrison's Preface dated?
11. Upon Mrs. Bruce's death, how long does the voyage from New York to Liverpool take for Brent and Mr. Bruce?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 28 days.
(d) 3 months.
12. Douglass leaves Thomas Auld's house in what year?
13. How old is Ellen when Dr. Flint throws her in jail in an attempt to get information on Brent's whereabouts?
14. How old is Douglass when he comes across the book "The Columbian Orator" in his private pursuit of education?
15. What is the name of the man in Chapter 36 who has been writing to the Flints of Brent's whereabouts?
(a) Mr. Hyde.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Mr. Dodge.
(d) Mr. Thorne.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Brent live in her grandmother's attic before actually running away?
2. For which relative does Douglass feel especially sorry after the death of his former master?
3. What is the name of the kind pastor in Chapter 31 who takes Brent and her friend in?
4. What is the name of the neighbor's slave in Chapter 6 whom Douglass witnesses fighting for food with the pigs?
5. After discovering he can't manage Douglass, Thomas Auld finally rents Douglass out to a man by what name?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)