|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the friend with whom Brent is reunited on the ship as she runs away?
2. In his discussion of the Auld household, Douglass says that Mrs. Auld practices which trade?
3. Which of the following preachers does Douglass say is the favorite of the slaves in St. Michael's?
(a) Mr. Storks.
(b) Mr. Ewery.
(c) Mr. Cookman.
(d) Mr. Humphry.
4. As Douglass' narrative begins, he says he was born in which of the following towns?
5. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld had prior to Douglass' arrival?
6. How old is Douglass when he comes across the book "The Columbian Orator" in his private pursuit of education?
7. What city do the Brent and the Bruce family first visit on their trip together?
8. As Chapter 24 opens, how many trips has Dr. Flint made to New York in search of Brent?
9. How long does Douglass live with his rented master?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 9 months.
10. How far is the distance between Brent's grandmother's house and the plantation house where Brent is sent to work?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 12 miles.
(c) 8 miles.
(d) 16 miles.
11. What is the name of the ship on which Douglass is sent from Baltimore to St. Michael's?
12. After the slave auction, which of Brent's relatives and fellow slaves resolves to run away?
13. Upon becoming pregnant, which relative does Brent most fear telling of her pregnancy?
14. In Garrison's Preface, he says that he sought the aid of the General Agent of the Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society. What is the name of this man?
15. How much does Brent's son weigh when he is born?
(a) 8 pounds.
(b) 4 pounds.
(c) 10 pounds.
(d) 6 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Douglass' time with the Aulds, which of his former master's children dies?
2. When Mr. Severe, the overseer, dies, he is replaced by whom?
3. According to Douglass, which of the following is NOT the name of one of his master's sons-in-law?
4. In his discussion of his childhood, what does Douglass say is the name of the man who owns his mother?
5. For what sum does Mrs. Bruce purchase Brent's freedom at the end of the narrative?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)