|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mistress Lockley kiss which makes Beauty feel jealous of this other slave's position?
2. Once Beauty is done with cleaning up the room where she and the Captain are, she will be cleaned and serve in the __________.
3. Beauty realizes that in the morning the Mistress will __________ her, just as she does with all of the slaves.
4. Who does Tristan see hanging of the wall when he enters the inn with Nicolas during this section of the book?
5. Jerard admits that he now feels the most proud when he is _____________ for his Mistress.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
2. What is happening to Tristan as he is instructed to wash each of the slave's genitals with his tongue?
3. What must the slaves wear in their mouths in order to help control them further during their placement as slaves?
4. What does the tightness of the harness do to Tristan as he is prepared for the daily activities?
5. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
6. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
7. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
8. How does Mistress Lockley handle Tristan when he is brought to the inn by Nicolas?
9. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
10. What is the rumor that Beauty shares with Tristan as they are talking, and Nicolas overhears this rumor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
Essay Topic 2
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
Essay Topic 3
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)