|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty was excited for the possible chance to see _________ that evening and the hours dragged on as a result.
2. A slave brings out a large bowl and sets it on the ground for the slaves to lap out of. What is in the bowl?
3. What was the drink the slaves were allowed to lap up when they were eating dinner with the others?
4. Tristan started to ___________, weary and desperate from the exertions and the starvation of his loins.
5. What did Tristan hasten to do when he was with his Master at the beginning of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
2. What does Tristan have to do as Nicolas is having dinner for a number of hours?
3. What is the rumor that Beauty shares with Tristan as they are talking, and Nicolas overhears this rumor?
4. What does Tristan get to do as he is serving Nicolas in the manner described in number #43?
5. Why is Mistress Lockley displeased with Beauty and how does she handle this disobedience?
6. What does Tristan have to do, according to Nicolas, before he can go to see Beauty?
7. What are some signs that others in the village seem to think fondly of Tristan and of his role as a slave?
8. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about in relation to their roles as pleasure slaves for their owners?
9. What must the slaves wear in their mouths in order to help control them further during their placement as slaves?
10. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The auctions have become a bit of public sport for the villagers, causing quite a stir when they occur each year.
Part 1: Why do you think the villagers enjoy the auctions so much?
Part 2: Do you think that the villagers should be allowed to attend the slave auctions?
Part 3: How do you think that slaves feel about having all of the villagers around to see them at the auctions?
Essay Topic 2
Slaves are punished publicly for the bad deeds they have done, put into the center of town for display.
Part 1: Do you think public punishment is more or less effective than private punishment?
Part 2: Why do you think public punishment is used for slaves who misbehave?
Part 3: How do you think slaves change after they have been publicly punished for bad behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
The Masters and the Mistresses take things away from the slaves which cause them to be on the same level, i.e. the slaves cannot drink out of goblets.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves could be treated even more harshly in this story?
Part 2: How does taking away everyday actions and commonplace activities change a slave?
Part 3: Why would the Masters and Mistresses decide to give these small human activities back to the slaves?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)