|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a moment of pure madness, Tristan realizes he wants the Captain to take him to the place of ________________.
2. Nicolas tells Beauty that she will return to her regular __________ once she leaves the room after seeing Tristan.
3. The Master was wearing a doublet of __________ velvet with fancy balloon sleeves and looked like a Prince.
4. Tristan felt the first real panic when the ______ was fitted over his head and over his shoulders.
5. The words that Jerard shares with Tristan unnerve him, but at the same time, he realizes that he also ____________ what he is saying.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the tightness of the harness do to Tristan as he is prepared for the daily activities?
2. What does Tristan realize when Nicolas is sleeping after their conversation together?
3. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
4. How does Mistress Lockley handle Tristan when he is brought to the inn by Nicolas?
5. Why was Jerard now a slave alongside Tristan, as he explains to him when they are able to communicate?
6. What does Tristan get to do as he is serving Nicolas in the manner described in number #43?
7. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
8. What are some signs that others in the village seem to think fondly of Tristan and of his role as a slave?
9. Why is Beauty jealous when the Mistress is amusing herself with all of the slaves in the grass?
10. What is Beauty surprised to find when she wakes up in the Captain's room in the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 2
The many rules that the slaves have to follow cause them to be completely degraded and controlled.
Part 1: What is the goal of the training of these slaves?
Part 2: How do you think the rules help/hurt the training of a slave?
Part 3: Why do you think that there are so many rules for the slaves to follow in their time with their owners?
Essay Topic 3
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)