|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another slave tries to console Tristan's desires by telling him that the one chosen must __________ in the beginning.
2. What does Tristan do as he is taking the Princess as his Mistress commands him to do?
3. Prince Richard allowed Beauty to _________ a little slowly, though he eventually told her to perk up lest they be whipped.
4. Tristan is awakened and pulled from the bed by one the servants at _______________ of the day.
5. Who was the slave that was missed more than any other at the court, even though the slave has to be disciplined often?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beauty do when she first sees Nicolas as she is led into his bedchamber by Prince Richard?
2. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
3. What is the rumor that Beauty shares with Tristan as they are talking, and Nicolas overhears this rumor?
4. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
5. How does Mistress Lockley handle Tristan when he is brought to the inn by Nicolas?
6. What does the Mistress Lockley want Tristan to do and she pays ten pence so that it can happen?
7. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
8. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
9. Why is Mistress Lockley displeased with Beauty and how does she handle this disobedience?
10. How must Tristan and the other slaves he is with feed when they are in their stable together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people in the village sometimes are able to fondle the slaves if the slave's Mistress or Master allows them to.
Part 1: Why do you think the villagers seem to want a change to play with the slaves as well?
Part 2: Do you think that it's reasonable for the villagers to have their way with the slave too?
Part 3: How does this ability to be at the service of all affect the way the slave feels about themselves?
Essay Topic 2
The sexual encounters of the slaves are many, with the slave rarely being able to achieve release of orgasm.
Part 1: Why is sexual arousal used in addition to pain in the training of the slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that the Masters and Mistresses use sex as a punishment as much as a reward?
Part 3: Do you think the slaves would be as eager to please without the sexual encounters?
Essay Topic 3
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)