|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The words that Jerard shares with Tristan unnerve him, but at the same time, he realizes that he also ____________ what he is saying.
2. Beauty thought it was positively odd not to be _____________ when she was being bathed and punished.
3. What is Tristan to be whipped for when he is taken for shipping, according to Nicolas?
4. Who is the runaway that Beauty tells Tristan about, though she seems to want to be captured in the same way?
5. Beauty thinks that Tristan's Master may let them see each other again as he seems to be __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tristan admit to himself about the falling out he had with his previous Master, Lord Stefan?
2. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about in relation to their roles as pleasure slaves for their owners?
3. What does Tristan ask Nicolas about, in relation to the way slaves should act in their new lives?
4. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
5. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
6. How does Mistress Lockley handle Tristan when he is brought to the inn by Nicolas?
7. Why is Mistress Lockley displeased with Beauty and how does she handle this disobedience?
8. Who does the Mistress take into bed with her after the work is done for the day?
9. What are some signs that others in the village seem to think fondly of Tristan and of his role as a slave?
10. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are small favors the slaves can enjoy when they are with their Masters and Mistresses.
Part 1: Do you think these small rewards are helpful in the training of slaves?
Part 2: Why do you think the owners reward their slaves at all, especially since they don't have to?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves feel about having small rewards during their training?
Essay Topic 2
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 3
Slaves are punished publicly for the bad deeds they have done, put into the center of town for display.
Part 1: Do you think public punishment is more or less effective than private punishment?
Part 2: Why do you think public punishment is used for slaves who misbehave?
Part 3: How do you think slaves change after they have been publicly punished for bad behaviors?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)