|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nicolas kisses Tristan's ___________ quickly as he is in line with the other ponies.
2. Tristan immediately asks if Nicolas will ___________ outright, though Nicolas tells him to consider what he is saying.
3. Beauty feels badly for the runaway slave as the slave now has no loving ______________ to guide him.
4. The words that Jerard shares with Tristan unnerve him, but at the same time, he realizes that he also ____________ what he is saying.
5. All Beauty could think of was Tristan telling her it would take a lot of _________ to be bad all the time.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mistress Lockley handle Tristan when he is brought to the inn by Nicolas?
2. What does Tristan have to do as Nicolas is having dinner for a number of hours?
3. What is the rumor that Beauty shares with Tristan as they are talking, and Nicolas overhears this rumor?
4. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
5. What does Tristan get to do as he is serving Nicolas in the manner described in number #43?
6. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
7. What does the Mistress Lockley want Tristan to do and she pays ten pence so that it can happen?
8. Why is Beauty jealous when the Mistress is amusing herself with all of the slaves in the grass?
9. What are some signs that others in the village seem to think fondly of Tristan and of his role as a slave?
10. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 2
Tristan decides that he does not want to obey his Masters, preferring instead to rebel, though he is punished often as a result.
Part 1: Why do you think that Tristan decides to rebel in his training with various Masters?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea for any slave to rebel in their training?
Part 3: How do you think Tristan is being seen in the eyes of his owners and trainers as a result of his disobedience?
Essay Topic 3
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)