|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beauty notice is different as she is walking in the village, though Richard tells her to be quiet?
2. The Whipping Master calls out to Tristan to, "Snap those _________" as he is being punished.
3. Who was the one who tended to the fire when Master Nicolas and Tristan were in the forest?
4. Tristan believes it ___________ Nicolas to see Tristan and Beauty to be happily together.
5. What was Tristan's Master doing when he entered the bedroom of his Master?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must the slaves wear in their mouths in order to help control them further during their placement as slaves?
2. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about in relation to their roles as pleasure slaves for their owners?
3. What does Beauty do when she first sees Nicolas as she is led into his bedchamber by Prince Richard?
4. How does Mistress Lockley handle Tristan when he is brought to the inn by Nicolas?
5. What does Tristan realize when Nicolas is sleeping after their conversation together?
6. What is Beauty surprised to find when she wakes up in the Captain's room in the morning?
7. What are some signs that others in the village seem to think fondly of Tristan and of his role as a slave?
8. What does Tristan admit to himself about the falling out he had with his previous Master, Lord Stefan?
9. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
10. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
Essay Topic 2
The Masters and the Mistresses take things away from the slaves which cause them to be on the same level, i.e. the slaves cannot drink out of goblets.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves could be treated even more harshly in this story?
Part 2: How does taking away everyday actions and commonplace activities change a slave?
Part 3: Why would the Masters and Mistresses decide to give these small human activities back to the slaves?
Essay Topic 3
The people in the village sometimes are able to fondle the slaves if the slave's Mistress or Master allows them to.
Part 1: Why do you think the villagers seem to want a change to play with the slaves as well?
Part 2: Do you think that it's reasonable for the villagers to have their way with the slave too?
Part 3: How does this ability to be at the service of all affect the way the slave feels about themselves?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)