|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Captain realized that ___________ had been Tristan's lover when he was at the castle.
2. Who does Mistress Lockley kiss which makes Beauty feel jealous of this other slave's position?
3. The words that Jerard shares with Tristan unnerve him, but at the same time, he realizes that he also ____________ what he is saying.
4. Tristan feels as though he was emptied like a __________ when the phallus is removed from his body.
5. Beauty thinks that Tristan's Master may let them see each other again as he seems to be __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
2. What are some signs that others in the village seem to think fondly of Tristan and of his role as a slave?
3. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
4. How does Mistress Lockley handle Tristan when he is brought to the inn by Nicolas?
5. What does Tristan ask Nicolas about, in relation to the way slaves should act in their new lives?
6. What does the Mistress Lockley want Tristan to do and she pays ten pence so that it can happen?
7. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
8. What must the slaves wear in their mouths in order to help control them further during their placement as slaves?
9. What does Tristan realize when Nicolas is sleeping after their conversation together?
10. What is happening to Tristan as he is instructed to wash each of the slave's genitals with his tongue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 2
In some cases, it seems the owners of the slaves begin to fall in love with their slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners are able to fall in love with their slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that these feelings of love are genuine or just based on how they want to feel about their relationship to the slave?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves should feel about being loved by their Masters or Mistresses?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the slaves receive more perks than other slaves might during their ownership and training.
Part 1: Do you think it's fair for some of the slaves to get more rewards than other slaves do?
Part 2: How do you think the relationships between the slaves change when they see others getting more rewards?
Part 3: Why do you think owners and other trainers decide to treat some slaves better than others?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)