|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Captain points it that it wasn't the severity of the beatings which made Tristan connected to the Captain, but the daily __________.
2. Tristan says that one has to __________ his Master or Mistress, but he did not feel this way about Stefan.
3. What does Nicolas answer when Tristan asks him if a slave is ever granted a request?
4. The Captain describes ____________ as one of the wildest slaves he's known, broke and ran through the forest when the slave was ordered to strip.
5. Who was the handsomest of princes from the castle who was taking a turn on the Public Turntable as Tristan was bathed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
2. What does the tightness of the harness do to Tristan as he is prepared for the daily activities?
3. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
4. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
5. What does the Mistress Lockley want Tristan to do and she pays ten pence so that it can happen?
6. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
7. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
8. How does Mistress Lockley handle Tristan when he is brought to the inn by Nicolas?
9. Why was Jerard now a slave alongside Tristan, as he explains to him when they are able to communicate?
10. What does Tristan ask Nicolas about, in relation to the way slaves should act in their new lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people in the village sometimes are able to fondle the slaves if the slave's Mistress or Master allows them to.
Part 1: Why do you think the villagers seem to want a change to play with the slaves as well?
Part 2: Do you think that it's reasonable for the villagers to have their way with the slave too?
Part 3: How does this ability to be at the service of all affect the way the slave feels about themselves?
Essay Topic 2
The many rules that the slaves have to follow cause them to be completely degraded and controlled.
Part 1: What is the goal of the training of these slaves?
Part 2: How do you think the rules help/hurt the training of a slave?
Part 3: Why do you think that there are so many rules for the slaves to follow in their time with their owners?
Essay Topic 3
Sleeping Beauty is a slave from the moment this book starts to the end, which is a situation few could ever understand.
Part 1: Why do you think that Beauty seems to have come to peace with her role as a slave?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if someone were to take you on as a slave?
Part 3: Do you think that some people are born to be slaves?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)