|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Master was wearing a doublet of __________ velvet with fancy balloon sleeves and looked like a Prince.
2. Who was the one who tended to the fire when Master Nicolas and Tristan were in the forest?
3. The words that Jerard shares with Tristan unnerve him, but at the same time, he realizes that he also ____________ what he is saying.
4. What color was the belt that Mistress Lockley had in her hand when she was disciplining Beauty?
5. What was the drink the slaves were allowed to lap up when they were eating dinner with the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Tristan as he is instructed to wash each of the slave's genitals with his tongue?
2. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
3. Who does the Mistress take into bed with her after the work is done for the day?
4. What is Beauty surprised to find when she wakes up in the Captain's room in the morning?
5. How must Tristan and the other slaves he is with feed when they are in their stable together?
6. What must the slaves wear in their mouths in order to help control them further during their placement as slaves?
7. What does the tightness of the harness do to Tristan as he is prepared for the daily activities?
8. What does Tristan realize when Nicolas is sleeping after their conversation together?
9. What does Tristan ask Nicolas about, in relation to the way slaves should act in their new lives?
10. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many rules that the slaves have to follow cause them to be completely degraded and controlled.
Part 1: What is the goal of the training of these slaves?
Part 2: How do you think the rules help/hurt the training of a slave?
Part 3: Why do you think that there are so many rules for the slaves to follow in their time with their owners?
Essay Topic 2
Tristan decides that he does not want to obey his Masters, preferring instead to rebel, though he is punished often as a result.
Part 1: Why do you think that Tristan decides to rebel in his training with various Masters?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea for any slave to rebel in their training?
Part 3: How do you think Tristan is being seen in the eyes of his owners and trainers as a result of his disobedience?
Essay Topic 3
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)