|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mistress Lockley kiss which makes Beauty feel jealous of this other slave's position?
2. In the early evening, ___________ was a pony again, feeling safe in the harnesses and the position.
3. What does Nicolas bring to the bed where he and Tristan will be lying down?
4. The Captain learns that all the ___________ are back, except for one, which alarms him and causes him to ask why not.
5. What was the food that was waiting for the slaves in the trough when they arrived back at the stables?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tristan have to do, according to Nicolas, before he can go to see Beauty?
2. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
3. What is happening to Tristan as he is instructed to wash each of the slave's genitals with his tongue?
4. Why is Beauty jealous when the Mistress is amusing herself with all of the slaves in the grass?
5. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
6. How must Tristan and the other slaves he is with feed when they are in their stable together?
7. Who does the Mistress take into bed with her after the work is done for the day?
8. Why is Mistress Lockley displeased with Beauty and how does she handle this disobedience?
9. What is Beauty surprised to find when she wakes up in the Captain's room in the morning?
10. What does Tristan get to do as he is serving Nicolas in the manner described in number #43?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 2
Slaves are punished publicly for the bad deeds they have done, put into the center of town for display.
Part 1: Do you think public punishment is more or less effective than private punishment?
Part 2: Why do you think public punishment is used for slaves who misbehave?
Part 3: How do you think slaves change after they have been publicly punished for bad behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
The auctions have become a bit of public sport for the villagers, causing quite a stir when they occur each year.
Part 1: Why do you think the villagers enjoy the auctions so much?
Part 2: Do you think that the villagers should be allowed to attend the slave auctions?
Part 3: How do you think that slaves feel about having all of the villagers around to see them at the auctions?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)