|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prince Richard allowed Beauty to _________ a little slowly, though he eventually told her to perk up lest they be whipped.
2. What does Beauty notice is different as she is walking in the village, though Richard tells her to be quiet?
3. Beauty realizes that in the morning the Mistress will __________ her, just as she does with all of the slaves.
4. How many years had Jerard already been a slave in the village, according to his own admission?
5. Tristan tells Beauty he has found his Master who brings him into ___________ with all punishments.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Mistress take into bed with her after the work is done for the day?
2. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
3. What is the rumor that Beauty shares with Tristan as they are talking, and Nicolas overhears this rumor?
4. What is Beauty surprised to find when she wakes up in the Captain's room in the morning?
5. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
6. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
7. What does the tightness of the harness do to Tristan as he is prepared for the daily activities?
8. What does Tristan admit to himself about the falling out he had with his previous Master, Lord Stefan?
9. Why was Jerard now a slave alongside Tristan, as he explains to him when they are able to communicate?
10. What does Tristan have to do, according to Nicolas, before he can go to see Beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are called Princes and Princesses, bought and sold into slavery when they are children.
Part 1: Why do you think Princesses and Princes are turned into slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that the value of the slaves goes up if they are royalty? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the suffering and humiliation of a Prince or Princess compares to a slave who is not royalty?
Essay Topic 3
There are small favors the slaves can enjoy when they are with their Masters and Mistresses.
Part 1: Do you think these small rewards are helpful in the training of slaves?
Part 2: Why do you think the owners reward their slaves at all, especially since they don't have to?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves feel about having small rewards during their training?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)