|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Commander doesn't do anything about the way that Beauty and Tristan are behaving because ___________________.
2. The way Mistress Lockley ___________ made Beauty interested in her and engaged by her.
3. What color are the eyes of the Captain, as Beauty finds out when she looks up into his face?
4. What is the first thing Tristan sees as he moves into a new room with oil lamps and is told to remain still?
5. What did the Captain do as he called Beauty his slave at the end of their time together?
Short Essay Questions
1. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
2. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
3. What does Beauty find herself enjoying about the Mistress as they are getting to know each other?
4. What is Beauty shocked to see as she is brought to the inn and to her new home as a slave?
5. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
6. What happens to Beauty as a result of becoming a slave who is to be sold?
7. Who is Beauty eventually sold to and for what price during the bidding at the public auction?
8. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
9. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
10. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are not supposed to talk to each other when they have time together.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves aren't allowed to talk to each other when they are alone?
Part 2: How do you think a Master or Mistress might be able to enforce this no talking rule?
Part 3: What sorts of information can be passed from slave to slave when they talk to each other?
Essay Topic 3
Sleeping Beauty is a slave from the moment this book starts to the end, which is a situation few could ever understand.
Part 1: Why do you think that Beauty seems to have come to peace with her role as a slave?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if someone were to take you on as a slave?
Part 3: Do you think that some people are born to be slaves?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)