|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beauty believe the Captain must certainly be vain of, in terms of his good looks?
2. Where were the soldiers riding close to so as to make sure they could still reach the slaves to beat them as they traveled?
3. The most magnificent sign was that of the Sign of the __________, as Beauty sees the various signs.
4. The question that torments Tristan is: Is it not easier to __________ than to choose not to?
5. The Commander thinks it would have been a privilege to whip the slaves to press their lips to the Queen's ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tristan reveal about his relationship with the Lord Stefan when he is talking with Beauty?
2. What are Tristan and Beauty able to do since they are being jostled about in the cart?
3. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
4. What did the Captain order Beauty to do when she entered his room for the first time?
5. How do the slaves at the Mistress' inn go about cleaning the floor and the inside of the inn?
6. What is Beauty shocked to see as she is brought to the inn and to her new home as a slave?
7. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
8. What does Beauty find herself enjoying about the Mistress as they are getting to know each other?
9. What do the slaves have to do in order to get to the auction block in the center of town?
10. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The auctions have become a bit of public sport for the villagers, causing quite a stir when they occur each year.
Part 1: Why do you think the villagers enjoy the auctions so much?
Part 2: Do you think that the villagers should be allowed to attend the slave auctions?
Part 3: How do you think that slaves feel about having all of the villagers around to see them at the auctions?
Essay Topic 2
Tristan decides that he does not want to obey his Masters, preferring instead to rebel, though he is punished often as a result.
Part 1: Why do you think that Tristan decides to rebel in his training with various Masters?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea for any slave to rebel in their training?
Part 3: How do you think Tristan is being seen in the eyes of his owners and trainers as a result of his disobedience?
Essay Topic 3
Beauty begins to realize she is reacting to pain with pleasure, something she didn't do before.
Part 1: Why might the pain begin to become pleasurable to a person?
Part 2: Do you think that the Masters and Mistresses intend for the pain of the slave to become pleasurable?
Part 3: Do you think that the slaves are being trained to interpret pain as pleasure?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)