|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It had been _________ to be the playthings of the Court, to be the object of relentless attention, according to the book.
2. What was Beauty forced to do when she entered the room and Mistress Lockley pushed her forward?
3. What did the Captain do as he called Beauty his slave at the end of their time together?
4. Beauty sees that Tristan's face is a little __________ than that of most of the men, with strong bones.
5. The ___________ of the dagger entered Beauty as the Captain continued his torments with her.
Short Essay Questions
1. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
2. What was Beauty told to do as she walked away from the Captain's room after their first encounter?
3. What did the Captain order Beauty to do when she entered his room for the first time?
4. Describe the conditions the slaves are in as they are being brought to the public auction in order to be sold.
5. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
6. What does Nicolas ask Tristan if he had learned as Tristan was being paraded through the street?
7. How did the Queen's Chronicler parade Tristan through town, causing him to think about whether he should have obeyed his other Master?
8. Who is Beauty eventually sold to and for what price during the bidding at the public auction?
9. What was Tristan grateful for as he was walked through the town to his new destination?
10. What are Tristan and Beauty able to do since they are being jostled about in the cart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan decides that he does not want to obey his Masters, preferring instead to rebel, though he is punished often as a result.
Part 1: Why do you think that Tristan decides to rebel in his training with various Masters?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea for any slave to rebel in their training?
Part 3: How do you think Tristan is being seen in the eyes of his owners and trainers as a result of his disobedience?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are simply objects which can be used and abused for any reason within the story.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners rent out their slaves or give them over to others?
Part 2: Do you think that the slave should be passed from person to person? How does this help/hinder their training?
Part 3: Why do you think that slaves aren't able to stay with just one person during their training?
Essay Topic 3
Obedience is the primary concern for those who own the slaves or who are using the slaves for a time.
Part 1: Why is obedience an important quality for the slaves to have?
Part 2: Do you think that anyone can be completely obedient? Why or why not
Part 3: Why do you think that the Masters and Mistresses expect perfection from their slaves?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)