|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All year, the villagers would ___________ just to have the chance to purchase a slave during the auction.
2. The Commander doesn't do anything about the way that Beauty and Tristan are behaving because ___________________.
3. What was at the end of the phallus that Tristan is going to wear during his time as a slave?
4. Where did the slaves at the Court sleep, unconcerned for the disobedient ones who were being taken away?
5. Where were the soldiers riding close to so as to make sure they could still reach the slaves to beat them as they traveled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tristan grateful for as he was walked through the town to his new destination?
2. What does the Commander of the Patrol warn the slaves to do as they are being removed from the cart?
3. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
4. What did the Captain order Beauty to do when she entered his room for the first time?
5. What is Beauty shocked to see as she is brought to the inn and to her new home as a slave?
6. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
7. What have Sleeping Beauty's parents consented for the Crown Prince to do with Beauty?
8. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
9. What are Tristan and Beauty able to do since they are being jostled about in the cart?
10. Who is Beauty eventually sold to and for what price during the bidding at the public auction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
Essay Topic 3
The Masters and the Mistresses take things away from the slaves which cause them to be on the same level, i.e. the slaves cannot drink out of goblets.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves could be treated even more harshly in this story?
Part 2: How does taking away everyday actions and commonplace activities change a slave?
Part 3: Why would the Masters and Mistresses decide to give these small human activities back to the slaves?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)