|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tristan remove from himself as he and Beauty were sitting in the cart together?
2. Beauty thinks it's amazing that the prince on the torture device is able to keep his _______________ during the pain.
3. What does someone shout as Beauty is being described and tormented on the block? "Sell her into the ________!"
4. What does Mistress Lockley want the man to get for her when Beauty first arrives at the inn?
5. The slave hanging on the front of the inn hung like ripe _________ from a shingle, perking up when the Mistress arrived.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Captain order Beauty to do when she entered his room for the first time?
2. What is the agreement between the slaves and their owners, which Beauty finds out in the beginning?
3. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
4. Describe the conditions the slaves are in as they are being brought to the public auction in order to be sold.
5. Who is Sleeping Beauty infatuated with when she first wakes up after being asleep?
6. What does the slave who is hanging up do when she realizes Mistress Lockley is coming?
7. How do the slaves at the Mistress' inn go about cleaning the floor and the inside of the inn?
8. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
9. Who is Beauty eventually sold to and for what price during the bidding at the public auction?
10. What was Tristan grateful for as he was walked through the town to his new destination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
Essay Topic 2
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 3
The slaves are simply objects which can be used and abused for any reason within the story.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners rent out their slaves or give them over to others?
Part 2: Do you think that the slave should be passed from person to person? How does this help/hinder their training?
Part 3: Why do you think that slaves aren't able to stay with just one person during their training?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)