|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tristan ended up being sold to Nicolas, the Queen's ______________, when he was at the auction.
2. When Beauty become accustomed to the shadows in the room, she realized there were many other ___________ there.
3. The ___________ of the dagger entered Beauty as the Captain continued his torments with her.
4. Tristan realizes he heard a number of kind words of ___________ from his previous Master, though he had still chosen to disobey.
5. Tristan is told to hold tight to the ____________ above him as the men are given Nicolas' permission to play with the slave.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tristan told that he had to wear the large phallus when he was first starting his slave training?
2. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
3. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
4. What does Nicolas ask Tristan if he had learned as Tristan was being paraded through the street?
5. What was Tristan grateful for as he was walked through the town to his new destination?
6. What is the agreement between the slaves and their owners, which Beauty finds out in the beginning?
7. What does Tristan reveal about his relationship with the Lord Stefan when he is talking with Beauty?
8. What does Beauty realize when she is taken to the Court of Eleanor with the Crown Prince?
9. What have Sleeping Beauty's parents consented for the Crown Prince to do with Beauty?
10. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan decides that he does not want to obey his Masters, preferring instead to rebel, though he is punished often as a result.
Part 1: Why do you think that Tristan decides to rebel in his training with various Masters?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea for any slave to rebel in their training?
Part 3: How do you think Tristan is being seen in the eyes of his owners and trainers as a result of his disobedience?
Essay Topic 2
The Masters and the Mistresses take things away from the slaves which cause them to be on the same level, i.e. the slaves cannot drink out of goblets.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves could be treated even more harshly in this story?
Part 2: How does taking away everyday actions and commonplace activities change a slave?
Part 3: Why would the Masters and Mistresses decide to give these small human activities back to the slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Slaves are punished publicly for the bad deeds they have done, put into the center of town for display.
Part 1: Do you think public punishment is more or less effective than private punishment?
Part 2: Why do you think public punishment is used for slaves who misbehave?
Part 3: How do you think slaves change after they have been publicly punished for bad behaviors?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)