|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many princes and princesses are sent to become slaves of the Court until they should be rewarded and sent home to their ___________.
2. Tristan tells Beauty, "In the end, they will _________ over us," as they are moving along in the cart.
3. What does Mistress Lockley want the man to get for her when Beauty first arrives at the inn?
4. The way Mistress Lockley ___________ made Beauty interested in her and engaged by her.
5. What color was the bodice of the Mistress Lockley as she was taking Beauty back to the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
2. What are Tristan and Beauty able to do since they are being jostled about in the cart?
3. What does the Commander of the Patrol warn the slaves to do as they are being removed from the cart?
4. What was Tristan grateful for as he was walked through the town to his new destination?
5. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
6. How do the slaves at the Mistress' inn go about cleaning the floor and the inside of the inn?
7. What does Nicolas ask Tristan if he had learned as Tristan was being paraded through the street?
8. What do the slaves have to do in order to get to the auction block in the center of town?
9. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
10. What happens to Beauty as a result of becoming a slave who is to be sold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are not supposed to talk to each other when they have time together.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves aren't allowed to talk to each other when they are alone?
Part 2: How do you think a Master or Mistress might be able to enforce this no talking rule?
Part 3: What sorts of information can be passed from slave to slave when they talk to each other?
Essay Topic 3
The many rules that the slaves have to follow cause them to be completely degraded and controlled.
Part 1: What is the goal of the training of these slaves?
Part 2: How do you think the rules help/hurt the training of a slave?
Part 3: Why do you think that there are so many rules for the slaves to follow in their time with their owners?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)