|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty is bound up as she is given to her new owner, thinking that it was very clever that she would be led around as though she were a little _________.
2. What color are the eyes of Nicolas, as Tristan discovers when he is stopped with a new order?
3. What begins to take Beauty to her new place of enslavement as the opening chapter ends?
4. What surprised Tristan about the woman in the room, as she finally came into focus?
5. How long had Sleeping Beauty been sleeping when she was awakened from her slumber?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
2. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
3. How do the slaves at the Mistress' inn go about cleaning the floor and the inside of the inn?
4. What does the slave who is hanging up do when she realizes Mistress Lockley is coming?
5. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
6. Who is Beauty eventually sold to and for what price during the bidding at the public auction?
7. What does Tristan reveal about his relationship with the Lord Stefan when he is talking with Beauty?
8. Why was Tristan told that he had to wear the large phallus when he was first starting his slave training?
9. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
10. What are Tristan and Beauty able to do since they are being jostled about in the cart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Obedience is the primary concern for those who own the slaves or who are using the slaves for a time.
Part 1: Why is obedience an important quality for the slaves to have?
Part 2: Do you think that anyone can be completely obedient? Why or why not
Part 3: Why do you think that the Masters and Mistresses expect perfection from their slaves?
Essay Topic 2
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
Essay Topic 3
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)