|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the last slave to be loaded into the card, one who had caught the attention of the Commander of the Patrol?
2. What does Beauty bring upon herself as she watched another slave be punished for his actions?
3. What did the Captain do as he called Beauty his slave at the end of their time together?
4. Tristan notices that his new Master had long and lean ___________ which grab his attention first.
5. What color was the bodice of the Mistress Lockley as she was taking Beauty back to the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the agreement between the slaves and their owners, which Beauty finds out in the beginning?
2. What happens to Beauty as a result of becoming a slave who is to be sold?
3. What does Beauty decide to do as she cannot bear to be humiliated anymore by the crowd?
4. How did the Queen's Chronicler parade Tristan through town, causing him to think about whether he should have obeyed his other Master?
5. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
6. Describe the conditions the slaves are in as they are being brought to the public auction in order to be sold.
7. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
8. What is Beauty shocked to see as she is brought to the inn and to her new home as a slave?
9. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
10. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are simply objects which can be used and abused for any reason within the story.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners rent out their slaves or give them over to others?
Part 2: Do you think that the slave should be passed from person to person? How does this help/hinder their training?
Part 3: Why do you think that slaves aren't able to stay with just one person during their training?
Essay Topic 3
The many rules that the slaves have to follow cause them to be completely degraded and controlled.
Part 1: What is the goal of the training of these slaves?
Part 2: How do you think the rules help/hurt the training of a slave?
Part 3: Why do you think that there are so many rules for the slaves to follow in their time with their owners?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)