|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tristan is warned that if he does not obey orders, then he will be strapped on the ________________.
2. Tristan tells Beauty that he disobeyed his Master because about a year ago, in another land, Lord Stefan and he were ___________.
3. Where did the slaves at the Court sleep, unconcerned for the disobedient ones who were being taken away?
4. What does the auctioneer compare Beauty's hair to as he is describing her to the crowd?
5. Where did Mistress Lockley force Beauty to go up to when she took her out and dried her hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicolas ask Tristan if he had learned as Tristan was being paraded through the street?
2. What is the agreement between the slaves and their owners, which Beauty finds out in the beginning?
3. What do the slaves have to do in order to get to the auction block in the center of town?
4. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
5. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
6. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
7. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
8. How do the slaves at the Mistress' inn go about cleaning the floor and the inside of the inn?
9. Why was Tristan told that he had to wear the large phallus when he was first starting his slave training?
10. What does Tristan reveal about his relationship with the Lord Stefan when he is talking with Beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sleeping Beauty is a slave from the moment this book starts to the end, which is a situation few could ever understand.
Part 1: Why do you think that Beauty seems to have come to peace with her role as a slave?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if someone were to take you on as a slave?
Part 3: Do you think that some people are born to be slaves?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
Essay Topic 3
Slaves are punished publicly for the bad deeds they have done, put into the center of town for display.
Part 1: Do you think public punishment is more or less effective than private punishment?
Part 2: Why do you think public punishment is used for slaves who misbehave?
Part 3: How do you think slaves change after they have been publicly punished for bad behaviors?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)