|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Commander thinks it would have been a privilege to whip the slaves to press their lips to the Queen's ____________.
2. What did the Captain do as he called Beauty his slave at the end of their time together?
3. The Mistress is going to spank Beauty _________ so that Beauty will be obedient the entire summer as this will be repeated daily.
4. What color are the eyes of Nicolas, as Tristan discovers when he is stopped with a new order?
5. Tristan asks Beauty why she decided to ___________ deliberately as they are sitting near each other.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the slave who is hanging up do when she realizes Mistress Lockley is coming?
2. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
3. How do the slaves at the Mistress' inn go about cleaning the floor and the inside of the inn?
4. What does Beauty find herself enjoying about the Mistress as they are getting to know each other?
5. What does Tristan reveal about his relationship with the Lord Stefan when he is talking with Beauty?
6. What is Beauty shocked to see as she is brought to the inn and to her new home as a slave?
7. What does Beauty decide to do as she cannot bear to be humiliated anymore by the crowd?
8. What was Tristan grateful for as he was walked through the town to his new destination?
9. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
10. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan decides that he does not want to obey his Masters, preferring instead to rebel, though he is punished often as a result.
Part 1: Why do you think that Tristan decides to rebel in his training with various Masters?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea for any slave to rebel in their training?
Part 3: How do you think Tristan is being seen in the eyes of his owners and trainers as a result of his disobedience?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are simply objects which can be used and abused for any reason within the story.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners rent out their slaves or give them over to others?
Part 2: Do you think that the slave should be passed from person to person? How does this help/hinder their training?
Part 3: Why do you think that slaves aren't able to stay with just one person during their training?
Essay Topic 3
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)