Lesson 1 (from Prologue: The Story Thus Far)
The concept of enslavement is a foreign one for the reader, in most cases. Today's objective is to discuss the idea of enslavement, how students feel about it, and what it does to the slave and to the owner.
1. Have students define the idea of a slave as they understand the concept.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they feel there would be any perks to being a slave.
3. As a class, have the students discuss how the students feel about enslavement and its restrictions. What images does slavery conjure up for those in the class? Is slavery wrong?
4. Homework: Have students write about how they felt about starting to read this book. Were they instantly repulsed?
5. Homework: Have students decide whether they think this is a book they might pick up if they were just scanning the shelves for something new.
6. Homework: Have...
This section contains 5,233 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)