|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "The Culture of Poverty" first published?
2. According to the author of "Public Parks and the Enlargement of Towns," parks combat vice and what?
(b) Internal rage.
(c) Social degeneration.
3. Within the city, what are most important to Lewis Mumford in "What is a City?"
(b) Emergency service.
(c) Building codes.
(d) Social needs.
4. What does the author of "Public Parks and the Enlargement of Towns" write advanced a democratic society, taking pressure off of different classes by giving them an area that they can all enjoy?
(a) Urban centers.
(b) Vertical dwellings.
(c) National parks.
(d) Green space.
5. Who wrote "Future Directions for Urban Government in Britain and America"?
(a) Saskia Sassen.
(b) Frank Lloyd Wright.
(c) Robin Hambleton.
(d) Raymond Unwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What essay in the collection was written by Peter Hall?
2. When was "A Contemporary City" first published?
3. When was Ebenezer Howard born?
4. The author of "The Black Underclass" argues that upwardly mobile men have moved out of poor black communities, depriving these communities of what?
5. In comparing U.S. and U.K. governments in "Future Directions for Urban Government in Britain and America," the author concludes the American system is more what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar Lewis write about in the anthology? What are his theories?
2. What plans and theories are presented in "A Contemporary City"?
3. What three possible city plans are presented in "Urbanism as a Way of Life"?
4. What is discussed and proposed in "Of Cooperation in Site Planning, and How Common Enjoyment Benefits the Individual"?
5. What does Gerry Stoker define regime theory as in "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
6. What does Patrick Geddes describe in "City Survey for Town Planning Purposes, of Municipalities and Government"?
7. What are Saskia Sassen's views on development? What article discusses this?
8. What did the authors of "Kinship and Community" find in interviews with the residents? What happened after they relocated?
9. How has planning changed, according to Peter Hall in "The City of Theory"?
10. What case studies are presented in "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)