|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "Of Cooperation in Site Planning, and How Common Enjoyment Benefits the Individual" first published?
2. When were "Kinship and Community" and "Keeping Themselves to Themselves" first published?
3. When was "Future Directions for Urban Government in Britain and America" first published?
4. What is the third city plan described by Louis Wirth in "Urbanism as a Way of Life" planned around?
(a) Eliminating the difference between producers and consumers.
(b) Managing power.
(c) Efficient consumption.
5. Who wrote "The Culture of Poverty"?
(a) Christopher Alexander..
(b) Oscar Lewis.
(c) William Julius Wilson.
(d) Michael Young.
6. What current trends of the urban life does Mumford refer to as the "postnucleated city"?
(a) Dissociation and decentralization.
(b) Demoralization and decentralization.
(c) Demoralization and dismay.
(d) Dissociation and demoralization.
7. What does the author of "Public Parks and the Enlargement of Towns" write advanced a democratic society, taking pressure off of different classes by giving them an area that they can all enjoy?
(a) Green space.
(b) National parks.
(c) Urban centers.
(d) Vertical dwellings.
8. What did Ebenezer Howard call the central area in his Utopian cities in "Author's Introduction" and "The Town-Country Magnet"?
(a) The Drum Circle.
(b) The Ivory Tower.
(c) Crystal Palace.
(d) The Green Obelisk.
9. When was "What is a City?" first published?
10. Who discuss the implications of social complexities and question what the advantage of interests implies, according to the author of "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
11. What group concedes that economic forces come into play, but that urban political theory also needs to draw on theories of the state in "How to Study Urban Political Power"?
(a) The structuralists.
(b) The futurists.
(c) The pluralists.
(d) The communists.
12. The author of "The Black Underclass" argues that upwardly mobile men have moved out of poor black communities, depriving these communities of what?
(b) Potential leaders.
(c) Father figures.
13. "Cities and Uneven Economic Development" compares the trade and manufacturing of midland England, for example, versus the financial functions of what major cities?
(a) New York and London.
(b) Chicago and St. Louis.
(c) Paris and Los Angeles.
(d) Boston and Philadelphia.
14. What kind of cities does Ebenezer Howard present as a protest against overcrowding?
(a) Flat cities.
(b) Floating cities.
(c) Suicide cities.
(d) Garden cities.
15. When was "How to Study Urban Political Power" first published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did Patrick Geddes cite for its "mistakes, disasters, even vandalisms" in "City Survey for Town Planning Purposes, of Municipalities and Government"?
2. What controversial book is Charles Murray most well known for?
3. When was Patrick Geddes's "City Survey for Town Planning Purposes, of Municipalities and Government" first published?
4. In "How to Study Urban Political Power," the author writes that there have been two groups of researchers studying city politics: the pluralists, and who?
5. Who wrote "A Contemporary City"?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)