|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ebenezer Howard call the central area in his Utopian cities in "Author's Introduction" and "The Town-Country Magnet"?
(a) The Green Obelisk.
(b) Crystal Palace.
(c) The Ivory Tower.
(d) The Drum Circle.
2. What does the author of "Public Parks and the Enlargement of Towns" write advanced a democratic society, taking pressure off of different classes by giving them an area that they can all enjoy?
(a) Green space.
(b) Urban centers.
(c) National parks.
(d) Vertical dwellings.
3. When was "A Contemporary City" first published?
4. In comparing U.S. and U.K. governments in "Future Directions for Urban Government in Britain and America," the author concludes the American system is more what?
5. What is the fourth of the four kinds of power described by the author in "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
6. When was "Of Cooperation in Site Planning, and How Common Enjoyment Benefits the Individual" first published?
7. Who wrote "Broadacre City: A New Community Plan"?
(a) William Julius Wilson.
(b) Raymond Unwin.
(c) Frank Lloyd Wright.
(d) Robin Hambleton.
8. Who wrote "Public Parks and the Enlargement of Towns"?
(a) Raymond Unwin.
(b) Frederick Law Olmsted.
(c) Frank Lloyd Wright.
(d) Saskia Sassen.
9. When was "What is a City?" first published?
10. How many residents live in the hypothesized city in "A Contemporary City"?
(a) 2.5 million.
(b) 4 million.
(c) 1.5 million.
(d) 3 million.
11. What kind of streets does the author of "Of Cooperation in Site Planning, and How Common Enjoyment Benefits the Individual" argue have reduced urban overcrowding?
(a) Narrow, straight streets.
(b) Wide, straight streets.
(c) Narrow, curved streets.
(d) Wide, curved streets.
12. What is the first of several responses to developments of local governments given by the author in "Future Directions for Urban Government in Britain and America"?
(a) Increasing taxation.
(b) Frequent elections.
(c) Decreasing taxation.
(d) Cutting public spending.
13. Within the city, what are most important to Lewis Mumford in "What is a City?"
(b) Emergency service.
(c) Building codes.
(d) Social needs.
14. The author of "The Black Underclass" argues that upwardly mobile men have moved out of poor black communities, depriving these communities of what?
(b) Potential leaders.
(d) Father figures.
15. When was Patrick Geddes born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When were "Kinship and Community" and "Keeping Themselves to Themselves" first published?
2. When was John Kasarda's "The Jobs-Skills Mismatch" first published?
3. Who wrote "A Contemporary City"?
4. What is the second of four kinds of power described by the author in "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
5. What is the third of four kinds of power described by the author in "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)