|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Prologue, "How to Study Cities," LeGates writes that how many selections are included in The City Reader?
2. What did the concept of polis stress in its establishment of temples, stadiums, and theaters?
(a) Bath houses.
(d) Public spaces.
3. Richard LeGates describes the process of studying cities as what in "How to Study Cities"?
4. The author of "City Origins" and "Cities and European Civilization" describes the growth of cities in Western Europe as historically bound by two elements: a middle class, and what?
(a) Democratic voting.
(b) Community organization.
(c) Freedom of the press.
(d) The rule of the King.
5. When was Friedrich Engels born?
6. Who introduces urban history in the article "New Perspectives on American History"?
(a) Raymond Mohl.
(b) Larry S. Bourne.
(c) Kevin Lynch.
(d) Frederic Stout.
7. What research method involves the analysis of statistical data?
(c) Number crunching.
8. Urban sociologists tend to study the sociology of cities using what kind of methods, according to LeGate in "How to Study Cities"?
9. Whose "thoughtful prescriptions for urban poverty" are discussed by LeGate in "How to Study Cities"?
(a) Larry S. Bourne.
(b) Lewis Mumford.
(c) Michael Porter's.
(d) John Forester's.
10. Where can wealth and fashionable residences be found in the city from "The Almost Perfect Town"?
(a) Lakeshore Drive.
(b) Walker Drive.
(c) North Main Street.
(d) Robson Street.
11. Who was the author of "The Polis"?
(a) Ibn Battuta.
(b) H.D.F. Kitto.
(c) Marco Polo.
(d) Henri Pirenne.
12. Who wrote "City Origins" and "Cities and European Civilization"?
(a) H.D.F. Kitto.
(b) Henri Pirenne.
(c) Kingsley Davis.
(d) Bernal Diaz.
13. What kind of computer software permits users to map data and is useful in studying cities?
14. Who is the author of "The Negro Problems of Philadelphia"?
(a) W.E.B. Dubois.
(b) Kenneth T. Jackson.
(c) H.D.F. Kitto.
(d) Henri Pirenne.
15. What kind of academic programs are referred to as those which bring the expertise of specialists from multiple disciplines together?
(a) Doctorate programs.
(b) Combidisciplinary programs.
(c) Megadisciplinary programs.
(d) Interdisciplinary programs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the article "The Urbanization of the Human Population"?
2. What conquistador wrote an eyewitness account of the conquest of Mexico by the Spaniards under Hernán Cortés?
3. Whose insights on urban planning in the face of conflict does LeGate claim to be intellectually rigorous in "How to Study Cities"?
4. Richard LeGates writes in "How to Study Cities" that professors are trained in and expected to teach material within their respective what?
5. Who wrote the book The City in History in 1961?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)