|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Guthrie respond to Lesa Marcello's refusal to turn down the prize for Lovett?
2. Which prize was offered to Lawrence Dow Lovett in Chapter 12?
3. What does the graffiti the narrator begins to notice around Venice claim loneliness is?
4. Why is Nicola's lawyer suspicious of Gardin?
5. How did Arrigo Cipriani, the owner of Harry's Bar, become involved in the issue between Jane Rylands and Olga Rudge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the evidence the narrator presents against Gardin's theories.
2. Describe Gianpietro Zucchetta's view of the fire and Casson's investigation.
3. Describe De Luigi and the narrator's activities at the end of Chapter 11 and how the police react.
4. Describe the problem Patricia Curtis has with her siblings and the Palazzo.
5. What does the reader find out about the nature of Olga and Ezra's relationship in Chapter 9?
6. Describe the Rylands's involvement with Peggy Guggenheim.
7. Describe what Casson tells the narrator made him certain that Carella and Marchetti were guilty.
8. Describe Mayor Costa's role in the Fenice rebuilding.
9. Describe the story of Daniel Curtis's expatriation to Venice.
10. Describe the narrator's meeting with Ralph Curtis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the controversy surrounding Mario Stefani's death and how this controversy relates to the book's overall theme of truth and deception.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Gino and Giampaolo Seguso's views of the role of tradition in the family glassblowing business using specific details from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the outcome of De Luigi's vandalism of the Fenice mural at the rebuilding site differs from what he expected and how the policeman's comment to De Luigi is significant for the rest of the story.
This section contains 1,932 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)