|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rhythm does Count Marcello tell the narrator that Venice follows?
2. What was the floor in Rose and Peter's basement apartment previously made of?
3. Who does Donadon claim to be old friends with?
4. What kind of uniform is Capitano Mario Moro wearing the second time the narrator sees him?
5. What is "Antica Mole"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Guerrino Lovato tells the narrator about the interior of the Fenice.
2. What does Rosa Barovier tell the narrator about Murano and the Seguso family?
3. What examples does the narrator give for the public outpouring of support after the fire at the Fenice?
4. Describe the Plant Man.
5. Explain Rose Lauritzen's problems with the "magazzino" as detailed in Chapter 3.
6. What problem does the fire create for Signora Marcello, and how does she deal with the problem?
7. Describe Rose's experiences with Ezra Pound.
8. What is the pigeon problem in Venice and how is it being dealt with?
9. Paraphrase what Alvise Loredan tells the narrator at the Carnival ball in Chapter 6.
10. What does Giampaolo Seguso tell the narrator about the rift with his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast the author's writing style with the pace of life in Venice, giving specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the controversy surrounding Mario Stefani's death and how this controversy relates to the book's overall theme of truth and deception.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of the gods Apollo, Dionysus, and Bacchus for the interior of the Fenice and why they are important as symbols of Venice.
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)