|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Woody Allen use to describe the devastation at the Fenice?
2. What does Giampaolo compare Murano to in talking about creativity?
3. What sport is Casson passionate about?
4. Who does the narrator say put an end to Carnival?
5. What does Dr. Scattolin say will happen to the healthy pigeons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples does the narrator give for the public outpouring of support after the fire at the Fenice?
2. Describe what Gilberto Paggiaro has told Casson that he did from the moment he set out on his rounds at 8:30 to when he greeted the policeman in front of the opera house.
3. Describe Capitano Mario Moro.
4. What does the Fenice custodian's attorney say about the panel of experts?
5. Describe the Save Venice Regatta Week Gala.
6. What does Count Marcello tell the narrator during the prologue?
7. What does Giampaolo Seguso tell the narrator about the rift with his family?
8. Describe Larry Lovett and his position with Save Venice.
9. Explain who Gianni Agnelli is and why he's considered the favorite to win the bidding competition for the rebuilding of the Fenice.
10. Describe Rose's experiences with Ezra Pound.
Essay Topic 1
Using the example of the Fenice fire investigation, describe how the narrator portrays guilt and innocence in this crime and within Venetian culture.
Essay Topic 2
Using the Lauritzens "magazzino" as an example, explain the differences between the Venetian and Anglo-Saxon mentalities as described in Chapter 3.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the conflict between nobility and democracy the narrator weaves at the Carnival ball in Chapter 6 through the narrative about the characters of Alvise Loredan and the "Rat Man" of Treviso, and explain how this conflict is relevant to Venetian culture as a whole.
This section contains 1,945 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)