|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gino Seguso's view of glassmaking?
2. What are Signor and Signora Seguso doing when they notice the fire?
3. What is Signor Seguso's nickname?
4. Which reminders of "La Traviata, Rigoletto and Tancredi" were supposedly housed in the Fenice according to one of the dinner guests at the Carnival ball?
5. What difference does Massimo Donadon claim to have made in the rat poison market?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator learn about Alistair McAlpine at the party?
2. What does the reader find out about the nature of Olga and Ezra's relationship in Chapter 9?
3. Describe De Luigi and the narrator's activities at the end of Chapter 11 and how the police react.
4. Describe the Save Venice Regatta Week Gala.
5. Paraphrase the story of "The Aspern Papers."
6. Explain what Rose tells the narrator about the safety of the city of Venice.
7. What does Count Marcello tell the narrator during the prologue?
8. Describe Rose's experiences with Ezra Pound.
9. Who is Peter Lauritzen and how has he established himself in Venice?
10. Describe Jane Rylands's involvement with Olga.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the book is called The City of Falling Angels and how this title relates to the overall picture the author is trying to portray of the city of Venice.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of the gods Apollo, Dionysus, and Bacchus for the interior of the Fenice and why they are important as symbols of Venice.
Essay Topic 3
Using the Lauritzens "magazzino" as an example, explain the differences between the Venetian and Anglo-Saxon mentalities as described in Chapter 3.
This section contains 2,071 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)