|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator call his game of taking pictures at unplanned moments?
2. According to the book, who founded the Venice Film Festival?
3. What does Signor Seguso say his object is when he meets the narrator?
4. When does the narrator say he'd fallen under Venice's spell?
5. What does Count Marcello insist Venetians never do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Archimede Seguso's state of mind and his activities since the Fenice fire.
2. What does Count Marcello tell the narrator during the prologue?
3. What does the narrator say about Venice at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. Who is the Rat Man of Treviso and what does he do? What's special about what he does?
5. What does the narrator learn about Alistair McAlpine at the party?
6. What does Gino Seguso tell the narrator about Giampaolo's actions and intentions since Giampaolo left the company?
7. Describe the exchange between Ludovico De Luigi and Venice's mayor during the meeting at the Ateneo Veneto in Chapter 2.
8. What does Peter say to the narrator about "sloganeering"?
9. What does Count Marcello seem to believe about the fire and how does he back up his opinion?
10. Describe Capitano Mario Moro.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the artist Ludovico De Luigi's view of the Fenice fire and the rebuilding of the opera house, and explain the significance of his view for Venetian politics.
Essay Topic 2
Using Archimede Seguso's "La Fenice" collection as an example, explain how beauty and neglect resurface throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using what you know about his uncovering of Gladio, explain how Felice Casson is presented in the book as being a bearer of justice.
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)