|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator say he'd fallen under Venice's spell?
2. What rhythm does Count Marcello tell the narrator that Venice follows?
3. What do friends tell Rose and Peter they need to get for their downstairs apartment?
4. Who do the townspeople talking at Haig's Bar believe is responsible for the fire?
5. What does Giampaolo say he's good at when it comes to glassblowing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Count Giovanni Volpi describe his father?
2. Describe Rose's experiences with Ezra Pound.
3. What does Count Marcello tell the narrator during the prologue?
4. Who is the Rat Man of Treviso and what does he do? What's special about what he does?
5. How does Archimede Seguso react to the fire?
6. Paraphrase what Alvise Loredan tells the narrator at the Carnival ball in Chapter 6.
7. What does the narrator learn about Alistair McAlpine at the party?
8. Describe Capitano Mario Moro.
9. What does Count Marcello seem to believe about the fire and how does he back up his opinion?
10. Explain Rose Lauritzen's problems with the "magazzino" as detailed in Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the power struggle between Bob Guthrie and Larry Lovett and explain how this power struggle is symbolically important for the rest of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the book is called The City of Falling Angels and how this title relates to the overall picture the author is trying to portray of the city of Venice.
Essay Topic 3
Using Ezra Pound and Peggy Guggenheim as examples, describe what the Lauritzens say the social life in Venice is like.
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)