|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Signor Seguso's nickname?
2. What does Mayor Cacciari do to protect himself from accusations of bribery in the issue of the rebuilding of the Fenice?
3. Besides plants, what else does the Plant Man sell?
4. Who does the narrator say gets up before dawn outside his window?
5. Which covert paramilitary operation was Casson responsible for uncovering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Capitano Mario Moro.
2. How does the Count Giovanni Volpi describe his father?
3. What does the Fenice custodian's attorney say about the panel of experts?
4. Explain Rose Lauritzen's problems with the "magazzino" as detailed in Chapter 3.
5. Describe the Plant Man.
6. What does the narrator say about Venice at the beginning of Chapter 2?
7. What does the narrator learn about Alistair McAlpine at the party?
8. What does Count Marcello seem to believe about the fire and how does he back up his opinion?
9. How does Archimede Seguso react to the fire?
10. Describe the exchange between Ludovico De Luigi and Venice's mayor during the meeting at the Ateneo Veneto in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the example of the Fenice fire investigation, describe how the narrator portrays guilt and innocence in this crime and within Venetian culture.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the artist Ludovico De Luigi's view of the Fenice fire and the rebuilding of the opera house, and explain the significance of his view for Venetian politics.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of the gods Apollo, Dionysus, and Bacchus for the interior of the Fenice and why they are important as symbols of Venice.
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)