|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count say would have to happen for him to let go of his anger?
2. What does the narrator say the Palazzo in which he will be living once was?
3. Who does the narrator say put an end to Carnival?
4. Who is at the top of the prosecutor's list of possible defendants regarding the Fenice fire?
5. How did the panel of experts come to its initial conclusion that the Fenice fire was not caused by arson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the pigeon problem in Venice and how is it being dealt with?
2. How does the Count Giovanni Volpi describe his father?
3. What does the narrator learn about Alistair McAlpine at the party?
4. Describe Capitano Mario Moro.
5. What does Giampaolo Seguso tell the narrator about the rift with his family?
6. What does Count Marcello seem to believe about the fire and how does he back up his opinion?
7. Describe the Plant Man.
8. What problem does the fire create for Signora Marcello, and how does she deal with the problem?
9. How does the panel of experts come to the conclusion that the Fenice fire must not have been caused by arson?
10. Who is the Rat Man of Treviso and what does he do? What's special about what he does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the artist Ludovico De Luigi's view of the Fenice fire and the rebuilding of the opera house, and explain the significance of his view for Venetian politics.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what the narrator says at the beginning of Chapter 2 about Venice's beauty and how this relates to his explanation of the fall of Venice at the end of the chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the power struggle between Bob Guthrie and Larry Lovett and explain how this power struggle is symbolically important for the rest of the book.
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)