|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one attendant of the meeting at the Ateneo Veneto bring as a memento from the fire?
2. What does Giampaolo compare Murano to in talking about creativity?
3. Who enters into a P.R. war with Luciano Pavarotti over the benefit concert for the rebuilding of the Fenice?
4. What does Dr. Scattolin say will happen to the healthy pigeons?
5. What object does a Sicilian prince bring to Signor Seguso in order to authenticate it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Peter Lauritzen and how has he established himself in Venice?
2. What does the narrator learn about Alistair McAlpine at the party?
3. How did Felice Casson establish himself as a hard-driving investigator?
4. What does Gino Seguso tell the narrator about Giampaolo's actions and intentions since Giampaolo left the company?
5. How does the panel of experts come to the conclusion that the Fenice fire must not have been caused by arson?
6. What does Giampaolo Seguso tell the narrator about the rift with his family?
7. Paraphrase what Alvise Loredan tells the narrator at the Carnival ball in Chapter 6.
8. Describe Rose's experiences with Ezra Pound.
9. What does Rosa Barovier tell the narrator about Murano and the Seguso family?
10. What does the narrator say about Venice at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific details from the story, compare and contrast Gino and Giampaolo Seguso's views of family as presented in Chapter 7.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conflict between nobility and democracy the narrator weaves at the Carnival ball in Chapter 6 through the narrative about the characters of Alvise Loredan and the "Rat Man" of Treviso, and explain how this conflict is relevant to Venetian culture as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Using Ezra Pound and Peggy Guggenheim as examples, describe what the Lauritzens say the social life in Venice is like.
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)