|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the Ateneo Veneto once housed?
2. Which covert paramilitary operation was Casson responsible for uncovering?
3. What does the Count say would have to happen for him to let go of his anger?
4. What kind of mentality does Peter say doesn't exist in Venice?
5. What does the Plant Man like to ask people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Count Giovanni Volpi describe his father?
2. What does Rosa Barovier tell the narrator about Murano and the Seguso family?
3. Describe the exchange between Ludovico De Luigi and Venice's mayor during the meeting at the Ateneo Veneto in Chapter 2.
4. What does the narrator say about Napoleon and what do these comments have to do with the current state of Venice?
5. What does Gino Seguso tell the narrator about Giampaolo's actions and intentions since Giampaolo left the company?
6. What does Count Marcello tell the narrator during the prologue?
7. Paraphrase what Alvise Loredan tells the narrator at the Carnival ball in Chapter 6.
8. What does the narrator say about Venice at the beginning of Chapter 2?
9. Explain what Rose tells the narrator about the safety of the city of Venice.
10. How does Archimede Seguso react to the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast the author's writing style with the pace of life in Venice, giving specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using Ezra Pound and Peggy Guggenheim as examples, describe what the Lauritzens say the social life in Venice is like.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what the narrator says at the beginning of Chapter 2 about Venice's beauty and how this relates to his explanation of the fall of Venice at the end of the chapter.
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)