|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many doges were in Alvise Loredan's family?
2. What does Loredan say the squalid pigeons are the symbolic heroes of?
3. What does Signor Seguso say his object is when he meets the narrator?
4. Who does Count Marcello believe is responsible for the fire?
5. Which covert paramilitary operation was Casson responsible for uncovering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Rose tells the narrator about the safety of the city of Venice.
2. What does Giampaolo Seguso tell the narrator about the rift with his family?
3. Describe the exchange between Ludovico De Luigi and Venice's mayor during the meeting at the Ateneo Veneto in Chapter 2.
4. What does the narrator say about Venice at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. Describe Capitano Mario Moro.
6. What does the narrator learn about Alistair McAlpine at the party?
7. What does Peter say to the narrator about "sloganeering"?
8. Explain what Guerrino Lovato tells the narrator about the interior of the Fenice.
9. Describe the Plant Man.
10. Who is Peter Lauritzen and how has he established himself in Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Daniel and Patricia Curtis as examples, illustrate the novel's theme of the need to hang on to the past, and explain how this theme comes up within other stories in the book as well.
Essay Topic 2
Drawing on what you know about the book's critical reception, explain how the author's own telling of the story plays in to the book's theme of truth and deception.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the controversy surrounding Mario Stefani's death and how this controversy relates to the book's overall theme of truth and deception.
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)