|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters into a P.R. war with Luciano Pavarotti over the benefit concert for the rebuilding of the Fenice?
2. Who does Count Marcello believe is responsible for the fire?
3. In which quarter does the narrator take an apartment?
4. Which mask-making studio is well-respected, even among Venetians, according to the book?
5. What object does a Sicilian prince bring to Signor Seguso in order to authenticate it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Archimede Seguso react to the fire?
2. How does the panel of experts come to the conclusion that the Fenice fire must not have been caused by arson?
3. What does Peter say to the narrator about "sloganeering"?
4. Paraphrase what Alvise Loredan tells the narrator at the Carnival ball in Chapter 6.
5. What problem does the fire create for Signora Marcello, and how does she deal with the problem?
6. Describe Capitano Mario Moro.
7. What does the narrator say about Venice at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. How does the Count Giovanni Volpi describe his father?
9. How did Felice Casson establish himself as a hard-driving investigator?
10. What does Rosa Barovier tell the narrator about Murano and the Seguso family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the Lauritzens "magazzino" as an example, explain the differences between the Venetian and Anglo-Saxon mentalities as described in Chapter 3.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the book is called The City of Falling Angels and how this title relates to the overall picture the author is trying to portray of the city of Venice.
Essay Topic 3
Using the example of the Fenice fire investigation, describe how the narrator portrays guilt and innocence in this crime and within Venetian culture.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)