|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Guthrie give the narrator for not resigning?
(a) He and his wife couldn't give up on Venice.
(b) He and his wife couldn't leave during the Miracoli restoration.
(c) He and his wife couldn't let Lovett win.
(d) He and his wife had to clear their names.
2. What does De Luigi say he is painting while he is working on a jeweled dress floating against a barren landscape?
(a) "The spirit of the Fenice."
(b) "Jane Rylands's virginity."
(c) "Peggy Guggenheim's self-esteem."
(d) "The ghost of decency."
3. What did the custodian do when he realized the Fenice was on fire?
(a) He called the fire department.
(b) He ran back to his office to get his cap and coat.
(c) He ran directly to the photographer's office.
(d) He ran downstairs to open the door.
4. What kind of bird attacks the pigeon while the narrator is talking to Ludovico De Luigi at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) A seagull.
(b) An albatross.
(c) A pelican.
(d) A parrot.
5. What does Jack Wasserman think of Larry Lovett?
(a) He has never been smart enough for Save Venice.
(b) His contribution to Save Venice in the form of celebrity and royal attention far outweighs Guthrie's contribution.
(c) He's aloof and doesn't do the work required for Save Venice.
(d) His behavior is threatening to destroy Save Venice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Count Marcello's speech to the board center around?
2. How did Ezra Pound first meet Olga Rudge?
3. How does Casson know that Carella and Marchetti didn't have a spritz at the Bar al Teatro La Fenice as they say they did?
4. What did Olga say in the letter sent to the Cleveland attorney after she realized what had happened?
5. What does Ezra say "Her name was" in the last Canto?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the situation that occurs with the seagull and the pigeon while the narrator is talking to Ludovico De Luigi at the beginning of Chapter 10 and its significance.
2. What does the reader find out about the nature of Olga and Ezra's relationship in Chapter 9?
3. Explain the allegations against Renato Carella and how his story finally ends in Chapter 14.
4. Paraphrase the story of "The Aspern Papers."
5. Describe Bob Guthrie and his position with Save Venice.
6. Describe the story of Daniel Curtis's expatriation to Venice.
7. Describe the evidence the narrator presents against Gardin's theories.
8. Describe the results of the bidding competition for the rebuilding project and explain how and why they became a problem.
9. Describe Jane Rylands's involvement with Olga.
10. Describe the feelings Daniel Curtis, Patricia's son, has about the Palazzo.
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)