|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicola respond when the narrator asks if he's read any of Stefani's poetry?
(a) He says he has a small collection at home.
(b) He says he has read every Stefani poem Gardin ever published.
(c) He says he only read a few handwritten poems Mario gave him.
(d) He says he's never been a great reader.
2. How does Guthrie respond to Lesa Marcello's refusal to turn down the prize for Lovett?
(a) He calls her to give her a piece of his mind.
(b) He turns in his resignation from Save Venice.
(c) He stops talking to her altogether.
(d) He fires her.
3. What does De Luigi say he is painting while he is working on a jeweled dress floating against a barren landscape?
(a) "Jane Rylands's virginity."
(b) "The spirit of the Fenice."
(c) "Peggy Guggenheim's self-esteem."
(d) "The ghost of decency."
4. What does Jack Wasserman think of Larry Lovett?
(a) His contribution to Save Venice in the form of celebrity and royal attention far outweighs Guthrie's contribution.
(b) His behavior is threatening to destroy Save Venice.
(c) He's aloof and doesn't do the work required for Save Venice.
(d) He has never been smart enough for Save Venice.
5. Who was the Fenice's custodian at the time of the fire?
(a) Vitaliano Bonicelli.
(b) Gilberto Paggiaro.
(c) Renato Carella.
(d) Giuseppe Bonannini.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bird attacks the pigeon while the narrator is talking to Ludovico De Luigi at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. How many electricians were in the Fenice after the rest of the reconstruction staff had gone home?
3. How long does Carella stay in jail?
4. How is Patricia Curtis dressed when the narrator first sees her?
5. Who is the "important" man the narrator sees on a water taxi at the beginning of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe De Luigi and the narrator's activities at the end of Chapter 11 and how the police react.
2. Describe Mayor Costa's role in the Fenice rebuilding.
3. Explain Albert Gardin's suspicions about Stefani's death.
4. Explain the situation that occurs with the seagull and the pigeon while the narrator is talking to Ludovico De Luigi at the beginning of Chapter 10 and its significance.
5. Describe Mario Stefani and his role within Venice.
6. Describe the problem Patricia Curtis has with her siblings and the Palazzo.
7. Describe the results of the bidding competition for the rebuilding project and explain how and why they became a problem.
8. What does the reader find out about the nature of Olga and Ezra's relationship in Chapter 9?
9. Describe Gianpietro Zucchetta's view of the fire and Casson's investigation.
10. Explain who Gianni Agnelli is and why he's considered the favorite to win the bidding competition for the rebuilding of the Fenice.
This section contains 1,912 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)