|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did Enrico Carella's debt amount to at the time of the fire?
2. How does Aldo Rossi insist on being addressed?
3. What did Olga say in the letter sent to the Cleveland attorney after she realized what had happened?
(a) She had reconsidered the sale of Ezra's personal belongings.
(b) It was her firm intention to dissolve the "Ezra Pound Foundation".
(c) She had reconsidered the sale of her archive.
(d) She would fight until she got her house back.
4. Who is the "important" man the narrator sees on a water taxi at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Tonci Foscari.
(b) Gianni Agnelli.
(c) "Angel Face" Maniero.
(d) Aldo Rossi.
5. Which famous Sargent painting did Ariana Curtis refuse to accept as a gift?
(a) "Portrait of Mrs. Daniel Sargent Curtis."
(b) "An Interior in Venice."
(c) "Madame X."
(d) "Head of an Italian Woman."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jane Rylands say to Harald Böhm, the sculptor who had helped Jane move the papers out of Olga's house?
2. What reason does Guthrie give the narrator for not resigning?
3. According to the book, how long had the policeman been waiting at the front door when the custodian showed up?
4. Which of Henry James's works does Chapter 9, the story of the Rylands's involvement with Olga Rudge, revolve around?
5. What is the two-story building not currently owned by the Fenice currently being used as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader find out about the nature of Olga and Ezra's relationship in Chapter 9?
2. Explain who Gianni Agnelli is and why he's considered the favorite to win the bidding competition for the rebuilding of the Fenice.
3. What is De Luigi's opinion of what's happening with the building project in Chapter 11?
4. Describe De Luigi and the narrator's activities at the end of Chapter 11 and how the police react.
5. Describe what Gilberto Paggiaro has told Casson that he did from the moment he set out on his rounds at 8:30 to when he greeted the policeman in front of the opera house.
6. Describe the nature of Stefani's poetry based on what you read in Chapter 13.
7. Describe the problem Patricia Curtis has with her siblings and the Palazzo.
8. Paraphrase the story of "The Aspern Papers."
9. What is the final outcome of the trial for the Fenice fire?
10. Describe Gianpietro Zucchetta's view of the fire and Casson's investigation.
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)