|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did Enrico Carella's debt amount to at the time of the fire?
2. Who is the "important" man the narrator sees on a water taxi at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Aldo Rossi.
(b) Tonci Foscari.
(c) Gianni Agnelli.
(d) "Angel Face" Maniero.
3. Why does Carla Ferrara think no one noticed Stefani's loneliness?
(a) Because Stefani's poetry was so cheerful and upbeat.
(b) Because Stefani was always anti-social.
(c) Because Stefani insisted on being somewhat of a hermit and no one could tell.
(d) Because everyone walks in Venice and it seems that they talk and say hello more than in a big city, where the loneliness would be more obvious.
4. Which spaceship lift-off does Ralph Curtis play for the narrator?
(a) Apollo 11.
(b) Apollo 15.
(c) Apollo 14.
(d) Apollo 12.
5. How does Aldo Rossi insist on being addressed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Gazettino report about the theory that Carella and Marchetti set the fire for others?
2. What does Mayor Costa erect in front of the Fenice when Sacaim begins rebuilding?
3. What was the first thing Carella said to Marchetti when they got into their car after the round of police questioning mentioned in Chapter 14?
4. Which prize was offered to Lawrence Dow Lovett in Chapter 12?
5. What does Count Marcello's speech to the board center around?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jane Rylands's involvement with Olga.
2. Describe what Gilberto Paggiaro has told Casson that he did from the moment he set out on his rounds at 8:30 to when he greeted the policeman in front of the opera house.
3. What does the narrator learn about the frescoes inside the Fenice?
4. Describe Mario Stefani and his role within Venice.
5. Describe the Save Venice Regatta Week Gala.
6. Describe De Luigi and the narrator's activities at the end of Chapter 11 and how the police react.
7. Describe what Casson tells the narrator made him certain that Carella and Marchetti were guilty.
8. Describe Mayor Costa's role in the Fenice rebuilding.
9. Explain Albert Gardin's suspicions about Stefani's death.
10. Describe the Rylands's involvement with Peggy Guggenheim.
This section contains 1,790 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)