|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which covert paramilitary operation was Casson responsible for uncovering?
(d) Operation 40.
2. What does the narrator say the Fenice had been reduced to upon seeing the front of the building?
(a) A mess.
(b) A mask.
(c) A fire pit.
(d) A lump of coal.
3. Who does the narrator say sells Signor Seguso's glass creations as a way of demonstrating his renown?
(b) Saks Fifth Avenue.
(c) Bergdorf Goodman.
4. What does Count Marcello insist Venetians never do?
(a) Walk to work.
(b) Tell the truth.
(c) Sit on St. Mark's square.
5. Why did Massimo Donadon give his company a German name?
(a) Wernher von Braun, the man who designed the rockets that took men to the moon, was his hero.
(b) So the Venetians would think he was from an exotic country.
(c) His grandmother, to whom he owes his business, was German.
(d) He thinks Germany seems solid, scientific, and efficient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "Antica Mole"?
2. What does Loredan say the squalid pigeons are the symbolic heroes of?
3. What does the Count say would have to happen for him to let go of his anger?
4. What word does Woody Allen use to describe the devastation at the Fenice?
5. Who does the narrator say gets up before dawn outside his window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Plant Man.
2. How did Felice Casson establish himself as a hard-driving investigator?
3. What does Rosa Barovier tell the narrator about Murano and the Seguso family?
4. What does Gino Seguso tell the narrator about Giampaolo's actions and intentions since Giampaolo left the company?
5. Describe Capitano Mario Moro.
6. What does the narrator say about Venice at the beginning of Chapter 2?
7. What does the narrator say about Napoleon and what do these comments have to do with the current state of Venice?
8. What does Giampaolo Seguso tell the narrator about the rift with his family?
9. What does Count Marcello tell the narrator during the prologue?
10. Paraphrase what Alvise Loredan tells the narrator at the Carnival ball in Chapter 6.
This section contains 1,533 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)