|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the panel of experts come to its initial conclusion that the Fenice fire was not caused by arson?
(a) Witnesses had come forward that had stated that they saw the fire start slowly.
(b) The construction site was so orderly and well-secured that no one could have gotten in.
(c) It appears that the beams in the lobby on the third level burned slowly.
(d) There was no motive for arson.
2. What does the glass historian Rosa Barovier tell the narrator about the Segusos?
(a) This is the first tragic rift in the family line.
(b) The Segusos are unlike any other glassmaking family.
(c) Archimede has always been a peacemaker, but Giampaolo always wanted to get away.
(d) Business is so important to the Segusos that it sometimes takes precedence over family.
3. What kind of mentality does Peter say doesn't exist in Venice?
(a) The Anglo-Saxon mentality.
(b) The democratic mentality.
(c) The Puritan mentality.
(d) The egalitarian mentality.
4. What does Giampaolo say he's good at when it comes to glassblowing?
(a) He's a good director.
(b) He's a good soloist.
(c) He's always been a technical master.
(d) He's at his best when he's teaching his sons.
5. What is "Antica Mole"?
(a) A canal near the narrator's new apartment.
(b) A tourist attraction.
(c) An important museum and cultural center.
(d) A trattoria near the narrator's new apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rose say the McAlpines are "hiding out" in Venice from?
2. What does Giampaolo compare Murano to in talking about creativity?
3. Which of the following gods does Lovato not mention in talking with the narrator about the interior of the Fenice?
4. What is Signor Seguso's nickname?
5. What does the Count say Venetians are consumed by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Napoleon and what do these comments have to do with the current state of Venice?
2. Who is Peter Lauritzen and how has he established himself in Venice?
3. What does Rosa Barovier tell the narrator about Murano and the Seguso family?
4. What does Peter say to the narrator about "sloganeering"?
5. Explain what Guerrino Lovato tells the narrator about the interior of the Fenice.
6. What does the narrator say about Venice at the beginning of Chapter 2?
7. Describe the Plant Man.
8. Describe the exchange between Ludovico De Luigi and Venice's mayor during the meeting at the Ateneo Veneto in Chapter 2.
9. How does Archimede Seguso react to the fire?
10. How did Felice Casson establish himself as a hard-driving investigator?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)