|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Massimo Donadon give his company a German name?
(a) Wernher von Braun, the man who designed the rockets that took men to the moon, was his hero.
(b) He thinks Germany seems solid, scientific, and efficient.
(c) So the Venetians would think he was from an exotic country.
(d) His grandmother, to whom he owes his business, was German.
2. Who does Rose say the McAlpines are "hiding out" in Venice from?
(a) The IRA.
(b) The ETA.
(c) The police.
(d) The IRS.
3. Why does Count Volpi say the Venetians vilify his father?
(a) Because the Marghera now creates a lot of ecological problems.
(b) Because he became wealthy through his hotel business.
(c) Because he never liked Venice.
(d) Because he had a mistress.
4. What are Signor and Signora Seguso doing when they notice the fire?
(a) Reading the newspaper.
(b) Watching television.
(c) Getting ready for bed.
(d) Sitting down to dinner.
5. What word does Woody Allen use to describe the devastation at the Fenice?
6. What does the narrator say the Fenice had been reduced to upon seeing the front of the building?
(a) A mess.
(b) A fire pit.
(c) A lump of coal.
(d) A mask.
7. What sport is Casson passionate about?
8. What object does a Sicilian prince bring to Signor Seguso in order to authenticate it?
(a) A glass urn.
(b) A glass vase.
(c) A glass bull.
(d) A glass horse.
9. Who does the narrator say gets up before dawn outside his window?
(a) The fruit and vegetable dealer.
(b) The butcher.
(c) The rats.
(d) The gondolier.
10. How many major versions of the Fenice does Peter say there have been in 200 years?
11. What kind of uniform is Capitano Mario Moro wearing the second time the narrator sees him?
(a) A fireman's uniform.
(b) A carabiniere's uniform.
(c) A soldier's uniform.
(d) A gondolier's uniform.
12. What animal does the narrator physically compare Venice to?
(a) A fish.
(b) A frog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A lion.
13. What is Count Marcello talking about when he mentions oil painting and sunlight as examples?
(a) The gifts of Venice.
14. Who is at the top of the prosecutor's list of possible defendants regarding the Fenice fire?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The director of the restoration work at the Fenice.
(c) The Fenice's general manager.
(d) The Prime Minister.
15. Which mask-making studio is well-respected, even among Venetians, according to the book?
(b) Ca' Macana.
(d) Carta Alta.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count say would have to happen for him to let go of his anger?
2. What does the narrator say the Ateneo Veneto once housed?
3. Who does Rose recall living next to in Venice?
4. What do the Lauritzens do while talking that makes it difficult for the narrator to follow them?
5. What rhythm does Count Marcello tell the narrator that Venice follows?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)