|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the glass historian Rosa Barovier tell the narrator about the Segusos?
(a) Business is so important to the Segusos that it sometimes takes precedence over family.
(b) This is the first tragic rift in the family line.
(c) The Segusos are unlike any other glassmaking family.
(d) Archimede has always been a peacemaker, but Giampaolo always wanted to get away.
2. What does the narrator notice about characters in novels and movies set in Venice?
(a) They aren't Venetian.
(b) They aren't convincing characters.
(c) They aren't honest.
(d) They aren't very educated.
3. Which paper does the narrator mention that reports on the many suspicious coincidences surrounding the Fenice fire?
(a) Il Giornale.
(b) Corriere della Sera.
(c) La Repubblica.
(d) Il Gazettino.
4. What sport is Casson passionate about?
5. Who does the narrator say gets up before dawn outside his window?
(a) The gondolier.
(b) The fruit and vegetable dealer.
(c) The butcher.
(d) The rats.
6. Who does the narrator say put an end to Carnival?
(a) Pope John XXIII.
(c) Mayor Cacciari.
7. Why does Giampaolo say he trademarked the name Archimede Seguso?
(a) To protect his sons' portion of the family inheritance.
(b) To protect it from being diluted when other designers created pieces under his brand name.
(c) To protect his interest in the sale of his father's glass.
(d) To protect it from being used by Gino after his father's death.
8. Where does the Count Giuseppe Volpi live?
(a) On the Giudecca.
(b) In Santa Croce.
(c) In Castello.
(d) In Cannaregio.
9. What does the Plant Man like to ask people?
(a) "Have you got a house?"
(b) "Where are you going?"
(c) "Do you need a plant?"
(d) "What's your favorite flower?"
10. What does the narrator say is the most prominent feature of Felice Casson's face?
(a) A receding chin.
(b) His hooked nose.
(c) A demanding look.
(d) His glasses.
11. What kind of uniform is Capitano Mario Moro wearing the second time the narrator sees him?
(a) A carabiniere's uniform.
(b) A gondolier's uniform.
(c) A soldier's uniform.
(d) A fireman's uniform.
12. Which covert paramilitary operation was Casson responsible for uncovering?
(b) Operation 40.
13. What do friends tell Rose and Peter they need to get for their downstairs apartment?
(a) A "condono."
(b) A "magazzino."
(c) An air conditioner.
(d) Rat screens.
14. What does Count Marcello insist Venetians never do?
(b) Walk to work.
(c) Sit on St. Mark's square.
(d) Tell the truth.
15. What kind of mentality does Peter say doesn't exist in Venice?
(a) The Puritan mentality.
(b) The egalitarian mentality.
(c) The democratic mentality.
(d) The Anglo-Saxon mentality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Woody Allen use to describe the devastation at the Fenice?
2. What is Giampaolo's view of glassmaking?
3. What does Dr. Scattolin say will happen to the healthy pigeons?
4. Where is Peter from originally?
5. What are Signor and Signora Seguso doing when they notice the fire?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)