|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport is Casson passionate about?
2. How many doges were in Alvise Loredan's family?
3. What does Giampaolo compare Murano to in talking about creativity?
(a) A great tree.
(b) An isolated island.
(c) A barren field.
(d) A blazing fire.
4. Which mask-making studio is well-respected, even among Venetians, according to the book?
(c) Carta Alta.
(d) Ca' Macana.
5. What do the men trying to net the pigeons scatter for them?
(d) Bread crumbs.
6. Who does Donadon claim to be old friends with?
(a) Silvio Berlusconi.
(b) Maurizio Gucci.
(c) Luciano Benetton.
(d) Santo Versace.
7. What does one attendant of the meeting at the Ateneo Veneto bring as a memento from the fire?
(a) A piece of the chandelier.
(b) A piece of the curtain.
(c) A piece of scenery.
(d) A piece of ash.
8. In which quarter does the narrator take an apartment?
9. What did Giampaolo give each of his family members at his fiftieth birthday party?
(a) A glass bull.
(b) A glass egg.
(c) A glass vase.
(d) A glass bowl.
10. Who enters into a P.R. war with Luciano Pavarotti over the benefit concert for the rebuilding of the Fenice?
(a) Franco Corelli.
(b) Plácido Domingo.
(c) José Carreras.
(d) Woody Allen.
11. What does the Plant Man like to ask people?
(a) "What's your favorite flower?"
(b) "Have you got a house?"
(c) "Where are you going?"
(d) "Do you need a plant?"
12. Who does the narrator say put an end to Carnival?
(b) Pope John XXIII.
(d) Mayor Cacciari.
13. Why does the narrator ask about the screens on the window?
(a) He's surprised that mosquitoes can fly right through.
(b) He thinks the meshing is too fine to be effective.
(c) He feels claustrophobic with screens on the windows.
(d) He'd like to have better access to the fresh air.
14. What is the main focus of Count Marcello's private library?
(a) The history of the Marcello family.
(b) Venetian history.
(c) Art and artists.
(d) Italian history.
15. According to the book, who invented the Bellini?
(a) Harry's Bar.
(b) Giuseppe Cipriani.
(c) Giovanni Bellini.
(d) Arrigo Cipriani.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Lauritzens do while talking that makes it difficult for the narrator to follow them?
2. What word does Woody Allen use to describe the devastation at the Fenice?
3. What does the narrator say the Ateneo Veneto once housed?
4. Why does Count Volpi say the Venetians vilify his father?
5. What does the narrator notice about characters in novels and movies set in Venice?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)