|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mayor do to try to make his words heard by the crowd gathered for the meeting?
(a) Yells really loudly.
(b) Uses a megaphone.
(c) Has a woman shout out his messages.
(d) Stands on a roof.
2. What is Lina's first step toward trying to solve the mystery of the note?
(a) Taking it to the Mayor.
(b) Taking it to Doon.
(c) Sticking the pieces down.
(d) Rewriting as much as she can.
3. What is the name of the book Doon keeps about the creatures he finds?
(a) Crawling and Flying Things.
(b) It doesn't have a name.
(c) Creatures of Ember.
(d) Doon's Book.
4. What can the people of Ember feel when they stand still in Plummer Square?
(a) A warm breeze.
(b) Bitter cold.
(c) The rumble of the river.
(d) The constant earthquakes.
5. How old are the children of Ember when they receive their work assignments?
(d) It varies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lizzie say she was when the big blackout occurred?
2. What does Dr. Tower have in her hands when she tells Lina that her mother died?
3. Who is the teacher overseeing Lina's class on Assignment Day?
4. What is past the trash heaps?
5. What job does Doon say he desperately wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the old words and phrases Doon finds in a book in the library and what does the book say they mean?
2. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
3. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
4. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
5. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
6. Describe the pencils Looper has for sale and Lina's reaction to them.
7. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
8. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
9. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
10. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)