|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lina's first step toward trying to solve the mystery of the note?
(a) Rewriting as much as she can.
(b) Taking it to Doon.
(c) Sticking the pieces down.
(d) Taking it to the Mayor.
2. Where is Poppy when Lina returns home from work in Chapter 4?
(a) Alone in the shop.
(b) Alone in the apartment.
(c) Lost in the street.
(d) Asleep in Lina's bed.
3. What does the mayor do to try to make his words heard by the crowd gathered for the meeting?
(a) Uses a megaphone.
(b) Has a woman shout out his messages.
(c) Stands on a roof.
(d) Yells really loudly.
4. What do the other workers teach Doon about?
(a) Eating sandwiches for lunch.
(b) Trying to figure out how to fix the generator.
(c) Liking Lina.
(d) Collecting bugs.
5. How old are the children of Ember when they receive their work assignments?
(b) It varies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doon see when he steps through the door marked "main tunnel"?
2. What has Poppy done with the paper from inside the beautiful box Granny found?
3. What is written at the entrance of the dark tunnel Doon discovers that ends in a locked door?
4. What two colored pencils does Lina purchase?
5. What is the message Lina carries repeatedly the day after the blackout?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
2. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
3. Why does Clary say the instructions are "hopeful"?
4. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
5. How do Doon and Lina get word to the people of Ember how to leave the city?
6. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
7. Describe the drawing Lina creates on the back of a can label.
8. What happens that allows Lina to discover what Lizzie has in her sack and what are some of the canned items in the sack?
9. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
10. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)