|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mayor do to try to make his words heard by the crowd gathered for the meeting?
(a) Yells really loudly.
(b) Has a woman shout out his messages.
(c) Stands on a roof.
(d) Uses a megaphone.
2. What do the children Lina's age do on Thursdays?
(a) They work an earlier shift.
(b) They have a day off work.
(c) They work a later shift.
(d) They work a half day.
3. According to the book Doon finds, what is a "hog"?
(a) The writer says it's the source of bacon.
(b) The writer says it's a dirty animal.
(c) The writer says it's a large animal.
(d) The writer of the book doesn't know.
4. What is the dare Lina shouts to her classmates that causes an argument with Doon?
(a) That she can climb a lightpole.
(b) That she can cartwheel over a small wall.
(c) That she can jump down six steps at a time.
(d) That she can jump a large hedge.
5. What is the Believer's flute made of?
(a) A piece of wood.
(b) A corn stalk.
(c) A drainpipe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sadge say he was looking for when he went into the darkness outside Ember?
2. How does Lina say she believes the people of Ember can reach the city Lina dreams about?
3. What does Doon say he usually dreams about?
4. What does Lina do with the message she writes to the mayor?
5. How long does the chief builder say the people of Ember must stay in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
2. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
3. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
4. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
5. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
6. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
7. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
8. Why does Lina want to be a messenger and why does Doon want to work in the Pipeworks?
9. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
10. Describe what lies beyond the light from Ember and what people know about that area.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)