|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the item Lina feels she needs to buy for Granny?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A coat.
(d) Colored pencils.
2. How does the chef builder intend to arrange for the instructions to be found at the proper time?
(a) Put them in a box with a timed lock.
(b) Put them in a hidden place so someone will stumble on them.
(c) Put them in a box with a date.
(d) Put them at the back of a warehouse so they'll be found when supplies run low.
3. What kind of soup does Lina make for Granny?
(c) Spinach and onion.
(d) Chicken noodle.
4. What is Doon looking for in the "F" section of the library?
(a) A book about flying.
(b) A book about fungus.
(c) A book about fire.
(d) A book about family.
5. What is Doon's father's job?
(a) He works for the mayor.
(b) He works on the generator.
(c) He keeps the town's clock running.
(d) He runs the Small Items shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about the note that sparks Lina's curiosity?
2. What does Lina figure out is the work on the document that ends with "orks"?
3. How does Lina say she believes the people of Ember can reach the city Lina dreams about?
4. What job does Doon say he desperately wanted?
5. What does Granny say she dreamed about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
2. Describe the pencils Looper has for sale and Lina's reaction to them.
3. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
4. What does Doon discover when he goes into the generator room on his first lunch break and why is he disappointed?
5. What are some of the old words and phrases Doon finds in a book in the library and what does the book say they mean?
6. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
7. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
8. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
9. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
10. Where does Doon go to learn about fire and what are some of the things Doon learns about fire?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)