|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a fact taught by the Book of the City of Ember?
(a) That God created the universe, including Ember.
(b) That the Builders will someday return for their people.
(c) That Ember is underground.
(d) That Ember is the only light in a dark world.
2. Why does Clary say she told Lina to leave when Sadge arrived?
(a) She was afraid Lina would tell on Sadge.
(b) She was afraid Lina would try to venter out of Ember.
(c) She was afraid Lina would call Sadge stupid.
(d) She was afraid Lina would be afraid.
3. What is on Lina's wall?
(a) Her books.
(b) A pot with a bean seed.
(c) Her clothes.
(d) Her drawings.
4. What is one of the things Lina likes about Doon?
(a) That he's always by himself.
(b) That he doesn't interrupt her when she talks.
(c) That he's curious.
(d) That he's handsome.
5. What job does Doon say he desperately wanted?
(b) Greenhouse assistant.
(c) Electrician's helper.
(d) Pipeworks laborer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the reports does Lizzie say she's never allowed to see?
2. What is the Believer's flute made of?
3. What does Clary tell Lina to get for Sadge?
4. Where did the box with the instructions end up when a mayor died?
5. What does Sadge say he was looking for when he went into the darkness outside Ember?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
2. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
3. What happens as Lina is looking for Poppy outside Looper's store and what is the decision Lina struggles with during those few minutes?
4. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
5. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
6. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
7. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
8. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
9. Describe what lies beyond the light from Ember and what people know about that area.
10. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)