|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the seventh mayor die of?
(a) Coughing sickness.
(b) He fell and broke his neck.
(c) The book doesn't say.
(d) Radiation poisoning.
2. What does the mayor do to try to make his words heard by the crowd gathered for the meeting?
(a) Has a woman shout out his messages.
(b) Uses a megaphone.
(c) Stands on a roof.
(d) Yells really loudly.
3. Who is Poppy?
(a) Lina's neice.
(b) Lina's little sister.
(c) An orphan Lina's grandmother took in.
(d) The child of a neighbor, Mrs. Murdo.
4. What is on Lina's wall?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) A pot with a bean seed.
(c) Her books.
(d) Her drawings.
5. What was Lina's father's job before his death?
(a) He was a teacher.
(b) He worked at the greenhouses.
(c) He was a pipeworks laborer.
(d) He ran the yarn shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Tower have in her hands when she tells Lina that her mother died?
2. According to the book Doon finds, what is a "hog"?
3. What kind of races do the workers in the Pipeworks participate in when they have spare time?
4. Where is Poppy during the town meeting?
5. What is Arlin Froll's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
2. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
3. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
4. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
5. What happens as Lina is looking for Poppy outside Looper's store and what is the decision Lina struggles with during those few minutes?
6. Where does Doon go to learn about fire and what are some of the things Doon learns about fire?
7. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
8. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
9. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
10. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)