|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Captain Fleery believe will show the people of Ember "the way"?
(a) The Builders.
(b) Their ancestors.
(c) Others who escaped.
(d) No one.
2. When do Lina and Doon agree to meet to go into the Pipeworks?
(b) In a week.
3. How does Lina say she believes the people of Ember can reach the city Lina dreams about?
(a) She believes they'll travel down the river.
(b) She believes they need to build it.
(c) She says there might be a door somewhere.
(d) She belives they need to climb.
4. Why does Clary say the guards grab Sadge?
(a) They'll have fun scaring him.
(b) Sadge is obviously crazy and dangerous.
(c) Sadge is an escaped prisoner.
(d) It's illegal to go into the Unknown Regions.
5. What does Doon's father say a person gets when he doesn't control his anger?
(a) Unintended consequences.
(b) Put in jail.
(c) A spanking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Poppy's jacket?
2. Who is Poppy?
3. What is the food most people in Ember eat almost every day?
4. What does the mayor do to try to make his words heard by the crowd gathered for the meeting?
5. Where does Sadge work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Doon go to learn about fire and what are some of the things Doon learns about fire?
2. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
3. Describe what lies beyond the light from Ember and what people know about that area.
4. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
5. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
6. What happens when Granny wakes Lina in the middle of the night and what does Lina discover when she wakes the following morning?
7. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
8. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
9. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
10. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)