|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the chief builder say will keep the instructions for leaving the city?
(a) The chief of the guards.
(b) The mayor.
(c) Lina's grandmother.
(d) The timekeeper.
2. What is Clary's job?
(a) Sorehouse manager.
(b) Chief guard.
(c) Greenhouse manager.
3. What is Arlin Froll's job?
(a) She's an expert electrician.
(b) She's a very fast messenger.
(c) She's the head of the mayor's guards.
(d) She's an expert in the pipeworks.
4. Where is Granny when Lina gets home from the meeting?
(a) At Mrs. Murdo's house.
(b) In the yarn shop.
(c) In bed.
(d) In the closet.
5. How do Lina and Doon know the man in the tunnel has unlocked the door?
(a) They don't know.
(b) The man says he's going to unlock it.
(c) They see him unlock it.
(d) They hear the key in the lock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Poppy when Lina finds her?
2. What is Doon looking for in the "F" section of the library?
3. What can the people of Ember feel when they stand still in Plummer Square?
4. What color is Poppy's jacket?
5. What is the Believer's flute made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Doon go to learn about fire and what are some of the things Doon learns about fire?
2. What does Doon discover when he goes into the generator room on his first lunch break and why is he disappointed?
3. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
4. What does Nammy Proggs say to Lina after Lina finds Poppy at Doon's father's store?
5. What happens as Lina is looking for Poppy outside Looper's store and what is the decision Lina struggles with during those few minutes?
6. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
7. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
8. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
9. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
10. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)