|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the chef builder intend to arrange for the instructions to be found at the proper time?
(a) Put them in a box with a timed lock.
(b) Put them in a hidden place so someone will stumble on them.
(c) Put them in a box with a date.
(d) Put them at the back of a warehouse so they'll be found when supplies run low.
2. Who is Poppy?
(a) An orphan Lina's grandmother took in.
(b) The child of a neighbor, Mrs. Murdo.
(c) Lina's little sister.
(d) Lina's neice.
3. Based on her experience in Ember, what is the color Lina believes the sky to be?
4. How many people had traveled into the Unknown Regions, never to return?
(c) Too many to count.
(d) Four in the past year.
5. What is the message Lina carries repeatedly the day after the blackout?
(a) That someone should find a way out of Ember.
(b) That no one is to blame for the blackouts.
(c) That the blackout lasted seven minutes.
(d) That everyone believes the mayor should be fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Doon and Lina do once they reach Plummer Square?
2. What is Doon doing when Lina first sees him in the library?
3. What is the first job assigned to a member of Lina and Doon's class?
4. What is the Believer's flute made of?
5. What does Doon see when he steps through the door marked "main tunnel"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
2. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
3. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
4. What happens as Lina is looking for Poppy outside Looper's store and what is the decision Lina struggles with during those few minutes?
5. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
6. Why does Lina want to be a messenger and why does Doon want to work in the Pipeworks?
7. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
8. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
9. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
10. What is the plan the Builders have for ensuring the people of Ember can find their way out of the city at the correct time?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)