|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ashil take Borlú to Bol Ye'an?
2. After a great insight, Borlú realizes Geary understood what at the time of her death?
3. Who is particularly uncomfortable with Borlú's plan to get two people out of the city?
4. What is odd about the old woman watching Borlú one night?
5. What ultimately happens to Bowden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mikhel Buric and what role did he play in the crime?
2. Who is Buidze? What information does Borlú get from Buidze about the victim?
3. What does Rodriguez believe about Orciny?
4. What does Borlú learn while inside David Bowden's apartment?
5. After regaining consciousness, where does Borlú find himself?
6. What information does Rodriguez give Borlú regarding Geary?
7. After Ashil is shot, what does Borlú realize? What does Ashil do?
8. What happens when Borlú and Dhatt attempt to get Rodriguez out of Ul Qoma?
9. What information does Borlú learn about the CEO of Sear and Core?
10. What does Ashil believe about the origin of the accident? What does Borlú believe about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mahalia Geary. Although she has died before the novel opens, she nevertheless has a great impact on the novel. Analyze Geary’s impact on Borlú as well as on the novel’s conflicts and themes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the resolution to the mystery of the murder of Mahalia Geary. Is the resolution a satisfying one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At one point in the novel, Borlú remarks that Breach is “a statement of both crime and identity” Analyze how the concept of Breach influences the character of Borlú as well as the novel’s plot and themes.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)