|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old is Olivia Santos described as when she is introduced at the Ideas Talk in Book I?
2. How many survey questions does Mae complete on her first day doing them in Book I?
3. When did Jackie participate in the Olympics?
4. Who is the man that works with Eamon Bailey and brings Mae to his office to discuss the kayak incident in Book I?
5. Who is the T-shirt distributor from Orlando that asks to be in Mae's professional network in Book II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the progression of Bailey's Gang of 40 meeting in Book II described?
2. How does Annie respond to Mae when Mae first finds her after her return from overseas in Book II?
3. Where does Mae meet Kalden the second time? Where does he take her?
4. Why does Annie worry about Kalden?
5. What role does Olivia Santos play in the novel?
6. How is duality expressed thematically in The Circle?
7. How is the first feeding described at the aquarium that Mae observes in Book II?
8. What leads to Mae's arrest in Book I? Why is she released?
9. How do Mae's circumstances change after she goes transparent?
10. What is the significance of the Sahara Desert in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the CircleSocial aspect of Mae's job duties. What is Mae required to do regarding the InnerCircle and OuterCircle? What does each represent? How does this system relate to contemporary society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of similes and metaphors in the novel. What are examples of each? What do they describe? How does each of these examples serve the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Annie in the novel. What is Annie's relationship to Mae? What is Annie's position at the Circle? How does Annie's character evolve in the course of the story?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)