|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mae spot Kalden during the celebration for Olivia Santos in Book I?
2. What creature is fed to the shark while visitors on Mae's live feed watch on in Book II?
3. How many SeeChange cameras does the narrator say are now functional and accessible across the world in the beginning of Book II?
4. What has the ChildTrack program been renamed in Book II?
5. How many smiles are amassed for the Pakistan fundraiser in Book II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Mae's arrest in Book I? Why is she released?
2. How do Mae's circumstances change after she goes transparent?
3. What role does Olivia Santos play in the novel?
4. Why does Mae meet Kalden in the bathroom in Book I and what takes place there?
5. What is the significance of the Sahara Desert in the novel?
6. Where does Mae meet Kalden the second time? Where does he take her?
7. Why does Mae post a picture of Mercer's chandelier given to her parents in Book I? How does he respond?
8. What does Mae encounter when she goes home to confront her parents about the blacking out of cameras in Book II?
9. Whom does Mae interview on the day of the meeting of medical professionals at the Circle?
10. What is PastPerfect and what are its uses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the Circle's campus. How large is the campus? Where is it located in California? What amenities are described on the main campus?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative style of The Circle. From what perspective is the story related? Is the narrative perspective limited or omniscient? Is the story told in the past or present tense? Why do you think the author chose this narrative point of view? How would the story differ if The Circle were related from a different narrative perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concepts of "transparency" and "Clarifications" in the novel. What are the definitions of these terms? Who are the first characters to go transparent and what does this process entail?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)