|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stenton claim public trust for Congress is at the Ideas Talk in Book I?
2. Why is Mae's parents' house under surveillance by SeeChange cameras in Book II?
3. What is the name of the anti-kidnapping program developed by Frank?
4. About how old is Olivia Santos described as when she is introduced at the Ideas Talk in Book I?
5. The narrator asserts in Book I regarding the transparency program, "By the end of the fifth week, there were" how many "elected officials, from Lincoln to Lahore, who had gone completely clear" (239)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Olivia Santos play in the novel?
2. Why does Mae worry about her first sexual encounter with Frank?
3. What leads to Mae's arrest in Book I? Why is she released?
4. How do Mae's circumstances change after she goes transparent?
5. What aspects of her job does Gina introduce Mae to in Book I?
6. Whom does Mae interview on the day of the meeting of medical professionals at the Circle?
7. Who is Pete Ramirez and why does Mae meet with him?
8. Why does Mae post a picture of Mercer's chandelier given to her parents in Book I? How does he respond?
9. What is CHAD and what are its benefits?
10. What announcement does Mae make along with Bailey at the end of Book I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Kalden in The Circle. Where does Mae meet Kalden? How is he described physically? What do Kalden's actions reveal about his inner objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of similes and metaphors in the novel. What are examples of each? What do they describe? How does each of these examples serve the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Where does Mae begin working at the Circle? What are her job duties? How do these job duties change as her work continues? What does Mae think of her job in this department?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)