|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mae's mother's name?
2. What percentage of the text servicing market does the Circle control?
3. From what disease does Mae's father suffer?
4. How long ago does Mae say she went to Lisbon in Book I?
5. What system is the founder of the Circle responsible for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Senator Williams and what threat does she pose to the Circle?
2. In what department does Mae begin working at the Circle? What are her duties?
3. Who is Alistair and how does Mae first meet him?
4. What is symbolized by the glass walls in the offices of the Circle's campus?
5. How does Mae help her parents with their insurance struggles?
6. How is the setting of the welcoming party described on Mae's first day at the Circle?
7. How is Dr. Villalobas described and how does Mae meet her?
8. Why has Mae's father had a difficult time dealing with his insurance company in Book I?
9. Who is Frank and how does Mae meet him?
10. What is CircleSocial and what are its subcategories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Annie in the novel. What is Annie's relationship to Mae? What is Annie's position at the Circle? How does Annie's character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of irony in The Circle. What are examples of dramatic irony in the novel? What are examples of verbal irony? How is situational irony applied? What does each example serve to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure of The Circle. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? Where does the climax occur? What is revealed in the falling action and the denouement of the plot?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)