|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What system is the founder of the Circle responsible for?
2. Where is Eamon Bailey originally from?
3. What does Frank drink to unwind after the workday?
4. What percentage of the free-mail market does the Circle control?
5. What percentage of the text servicing market does the Circle control?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Mae grow up? How is this setting described?
2. Who is Senator Williams and what threat does she pose to the Circle?
3. How is the campus of the Circle described? Where is it located?
4. How does Mae help her parents with their insurance struggles?
5. How do Mercer and Mae differ in their perceptions of technology and the internet?
6. Who is Alistair and how does Mae first meet him?
7. What happens at the Ideas Talk that Mae attends with Frank in Book I?
8. Describe the character of Mae as she is introduced in the beginning of the novel. What are Mae's circumstances as the story begins?
9. Why does Mae find it to be surprising that Annie has become a member of the Gang of 40?
10. What is CircleSocial and what are its subcategories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of security versus privacy in The Circle. What statement do you think that the author is making regarding this subject in the narrative? Which is more important to the characters in the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Where did Mae grow up? How is this setting described? What does Mae think of her hometown versus her setting near the Circle?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the CircleSocial aspect of Mae's job duties. What is Mae required to do regarding the InnerCircle and OuterCircle? What does each represent? How does this system relate to contemporary society?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)