|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who from payroll comes to meet Mae on her second day at the Circle?
2. How many employees work at the main campus of the Circle where Mae begins working in Book I?
3. Who is Mae's unit leader when she begins working at the Circle?
4. What are the names of the harbor seals that the couple on the barge describe to Mae in Book I?
5. What has Mae's father been taken to the hospital in Book I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mercer and Mae differ in their perceptions of technology and the internet?
2. In what department does Mae begin working at the Circle? What are her duties?
3. How is the setting of the welcoming party described on Mae's first day at the Circle?
4. What is symbolized by the glass walls in the offices of the Circle's campus?
5. What does Mae discover when she rushes home after her father's collapse in Book I?
6. Who is Mercer and what is his relationship to Mae?
7. What happens at the Ideas Talk that Mae attends with Frank in Book I?
8. How does Mae help her parents with their insurance struggles?
9. Where did Mae grow up? How is this setting described?
10. How does the narrator describe the couple Mae meets on their barge in Book I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of symbolism in The Circle. What symbolic images are depicted in the setting of the Circle's campus? What do they represent? What characters in the novel are symbolic? How?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the CircleSocial aspect of Mae's job duties. What is Mae required to do regarding the InnerCircle and OuterCircle? What does each represent? How does this system relate to contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Where does Mae begin working at the Circle? What are her job duties? How do these job duties change as her work continues? What does Mae think of her job in this department?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)