|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the senator that announces his intentions to break up the Circle in Book I?
2. What are the names of the harbor seals that the couple on the barge describe to Mae in Book I?
3. Who is the Nobel Prize winner that Mae missed seeing on her third day at the Circle?
4. What system is the founder of the Circle responsible for?
5. What does the doctor at the clinic suggest Mae have surgery on during her first visit in Book I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting of the welcoming party described on Mae's first day at the Circle?
2. Who are the Three Wise Men at the Circle and what are their positions?
3. Describe the character of Mae as she is introduced in the beginning of the novel. What are Mae's circumstances as the story begins?
4. How does Mae initially meet Kalden? How is this meeting described?
5. Who is Frank and how does Mae meet him?
6. Who is Alistair and how does Mae first meet him?
7. How do Mercer and Mae differ in their perceptions of technology and the internet?
8. How is the campus of the Circle described? Where is it located?
9. How is Dr. Villalobas described and how does Mae meet her?
10. What is symbolized by the glass walls in the offices of the Circle's campus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of similes and metaphors in the novel. What are examples of each? What do they describe? How does each of these examples serve the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the character of Mae Holland as the protagonist of The Circle. Is Mae a hero or an anti-hero? Why? What are Mae's circumstances in the beginning of the novel? How does her character change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Kalden in The Circle. Where does Mae meet Kalden? How is he described physically? What do Kalden's actions reveal about his inner objectives?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)