|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition is the founder of the Circle presumed to have?
2. How much older is Mercer than Mae?
3. What sport does Mae enjoy participating in?
4. What are the names of the harbor seals that the couple on the barge describe to Mae in Book I?
5. What does Josiah say paper is in Book I?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what department does Mae begin working at the Circle? What are her duties?
2. Who is Alistair and how does Mae first meet him?
3. Who is Mercer and what is his relationship to Mae?
4. Why does Mae find it to be surprising that Annie has become a member of the Gang of 40?
5. What is symbolized by the glass walls in the offices of the Circle's campus?
6. What happens at the Ideas Talk that Mae attends with Frank in Book I?
7. How is the campus of the Circle described? Where is it located?
8. What project at the Circle relates to the Marianas Trench?
9. What does Mae discover when she rushes home after her father's collapse in Book I?
10. Who is Frank and how does Mae meet him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Annie in the novel. What is Annie's relationship to Mae? What is Annie's position at the Circle? How does Annie's character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Where does Mae begin working at the Circle? What are her job duties? How do these job duties change as her work continues? What does Mae think of her job in this department?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Kalden in The Circle. Where does Mae meet Kalden? How is he described physically? What do Kalden's actions reveal about his inner objectives?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)