|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Annie move in the library to reveal a secret passage?
2. How much is Mae's student loan debt when she begins working at the Cicle?
3. Who is the original Wise Man at the Circle?
4. What is the name of Mae's father?
5. Who speaks at the Innovation Talk when Frank goes with Mae in Book I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mae find it to be surprising that Annie has become a member of the Gang of 40?
2. What is CircleSocial and what are its subcategories?
3. Who is Alistair and how does Mae first meet him?
4. Who is Frank and how does Mae meet him?
5. How does Mae initially meet Kalden? How is this meeting described?
6. How does Mae help her parents with their insurance struggles?
7. How does the narrator describe the couple Mae meets on their barge in Book I?
8. Who are the Three Wise Men at the Circle and what are their positions?
9. What project at the Circle relates to the Marianas Trench?
10. Who is Senator Williams and what threat does she pose to the Circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concepts of "transparency" and "Clarifications" in the novel. What are the definitions of these terms? Who are the first characters to go transparent and what does this process entail?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of similes and metaphors in the novel. What are examples of each? What do they describe? How does each of these examples serve the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of security versus privacy in The Circle. What statement do you think that the author is making regarding this subject in the narrative? Which is more important to the characters in the novel? Why?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)