|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes a letter to Homer to tell him about his heart condition in Chapter 8?
(a) Dr. Larch.
(b) Ollive Worthington.
(d) Debra Pettigrew.
2. Melony makes up a story about having what which keeps the men from bothering her in Chapter 7?
(a) A sexually transmitted disease.
(b) A pistol.
(c) Mental problems.
(d) A knife in her pocket.
3. When Melony gets to Bath, she finds a job working where in Chapter 8?
(a) The shipyards.
(b) The bath houses.
(c) The cattle ranch.
(d) The cherry orchard.
4. To what location does Melony purchase a train ticket after leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
(a) Livermore Falls.
(b) Washington D.C.
(d) St. Cloud's.
5. Mary Agnes tells whom that she saw a van with the Ocean View orchard emblem on it in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. Olive and Candy think Wally is alive, but Ray and who think he is dead in the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. Wally and Candy double date with Homer and whom in Chapter 6?
3. When Homer Wells receives his survey from the board, it is the same day what who arrives at the orchard in Chapter 7?
4. What name do Candy and Homer give to the child they have in the novel?
5. In Chapter 6, Dr. Larch writes a letter to tell Homer that Melony left the orphanage and that she took with her the only copy of what book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the trees at the orchard in Chapter 8?
2. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
3. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
4. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
5. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
6. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
7. How long has Homer been gone from the orphanage in Chapter 6? What is going on at the orphanage?
8. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
9. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
10. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)