|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what nickname does Melony think of Homer in Chapter 6?
(a) Muffin man.
(c) Teddy bear.
(d) Butter ball.
2. As the summer ends and Wally prepares to go back to college, Olive offers Homer an opportunity to stay where?
(a) Wally's room.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The cider house.
(d) The barracks.
3. Mary Agnes tells whom that she saw a van with the Ocean View orchard emblem on it in Chapter 8?
4. When Wally asks Candy to marry him, she says what in Chapter 8?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She won't be his widow.
(c) She is already married.
5. On Thanksgiving in Chapter 8, the Worthingtons are hosting the dinner, which includes Candy and whom?
(a) Mr. Rose.
(c) Ray Kendall.
(d) Dr. Larch.
Short Answer Questions
1. It takes how long for Homer to write his first letter to Dr. Larch after leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
2. Melony makes up a story about having what which keeps the men from bothering her in Chapter 7?
3. Who keeps honking the horn outside because he needs Homer's help to get his father out of trouble in town in Chapter 7?
4. What worker tells Melony she should give up on her boyfriend since he isn't worth it if he didn't tell Melony where he was in Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of the home on Ocean's View Orchard where the workers live during the harvest season?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
3. Where has Melony traveled in Chapter 7? Why?
4. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
5. What is foreshadowed by the bombing at Pearl Harbor in Chapter 8?
6. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
7. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
8. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
9. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
10. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)