|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what location does Melony purchase a train ticket after leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
(a) Livermore Falls.
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) St. Cloud's.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 10, Melony and who are still a couple?
3. In Chapter 10, Homer has been running Ocean View, and he is now responsible for what?
(a) Pruning the trees.
(b) Juicing the apples.
(c) Posting the cider house rules.
(d) Training the pickers.
4. When the other workers leave for lunch, who stays behind, cleaning a big vat in Chapter 7?
(a) Mrs. Grogan.
(c) Grace Lynch.
(d) Debra Pettigrew.
5. Who is reading to the girl orphans at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Wally is talking about how he wants to be a pilot so he can do what?
2. In Chapter 10, who has been trying to replace Dr. Larch at the orphanage?
3. Dr. Larch goes out of his way to set up a P.O. Box for whom to receive his mail in Chapter 7?
4. When Chapter 6 begins, Homer has been away from St. Cloud's for how long?
5. What is the name of the home on Ocean's View Orchard where the workers live during the harvest season?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
2. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
3. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
4. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
5. What leads Candy to discover Homer's love for her in Chapter 8?
6. What is symbolic about the trees at the orchard in Chapter 8?
7. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
8. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
9. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
10. How does Homer view Ray Kendall in Chapter 6? Who does he remind him of?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)