|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Olive Worthington die of in the novel?
2. By what nickname does Melony think of Homer in Chapter 6?
(a) Teddy bear.
(b) Butter ball.
(d) Muffin man.
3. What worker tells Melony she should give up on her boyfriend since he isn't worth it if he didn't tell Melony where he was in Chapter 7?
4. Two weeks after Wally's plane goes down, the Army Air Force visits Olive to tell her that it's a good sign that what happened?
(a) The plane didn't explode in the air.
(b) Wally had his dog with him.
(c) Wally was taken prisoner.
(d) Wally was heard calling for help.
5. Olive and Candy think Wally is alive, but Ray and who think he is dead in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(b) Nurse Edna.
(c) Dr. Larch.
(d) Mary Agnes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Homer has been running Ocean View, and he is now responsible for what?
2. Mary Agnes tells whom that she saw a van with the Ocean View orchard emblem on it in Chapter 8?
3. Homer drops Wally off at Candy's house so they can have a private night together, and Homer picks whom up for a night at the drive-in movie in Chapter 7?
4. What does Melony pack her belongings in when she leaves the orphanage in Chapter 6?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 9, one of the orchard workers has dreams about Wally, which she takes as a sign that Wally is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
2. How long has Homer been gone from the orphanage in Chapter 6? What is going on at the orphanage?
3. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
4. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
5. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
6. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
7. Where has Melony traveled in Chapter 7? Why?
8. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
9. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
10. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)