|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Candy and Homer go to talk about the fact that they love each other in Chapter 8?
(a) The Worthington home.
(b) The skating rink.
(c) Ray Kendall's dock.
(d) The cider house.
2. Two weeks after Wally's plane goes down, the Army Air Force visits Olive to tell her that it's a good sign that what happened?
(a) Wally was heard calling for help.
(b) Wally had his dog with him.
(c) The plane didn't explode in the air.
(d) Wally was taken prisoner.
3. When Homer reaches the town where Candy and Wally live, Homer takes to spending time with whom on his boat?
(b) Ray Kendall.
(d) Mr. Rose.
4. From whose coat does Melony steal money before leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
(a) Nurse Caroline's.
(b) Mrs. Grogan's.
(c) Nurse Edna's.
(d) Olive Worthington's.
5. When Homer asks some of the women workers about the cider house rules, they explain that who writes the rules every year?
(a) Ray Kendall.
(b) Grace Lynch.
(c) Olive Worthington.
(d) Fuzzy Stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a woman whose husband died in the war comes to the hospital in Chapter 9, Homer passes the nurse a note to give to the woman that tells her to go where?
2. Homer knows more than his biology teacher about what in Chapter 8?
3. When the other workers leave for lunch, who stays behind, cleaning a big vat in Chapter 7?
4. Who writes a letter to Homer to tell him about his heart condition in Chapter 8?
5. When Homer opens his wallet in front of the movie theater, the wind blows out what in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mr. Rose tell Homer about the differences in rules in Chapter 10?
3. What does Mrs. Grogan see changing in Melony in Chapter 6? Why?
4. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
5. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
6. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
7. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
8. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
9. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
10. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)