|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worker tells Melony she should give up on her boyfriend since he isn't worth it if he didn't tell Melony where he was in Chapter 7?
2. By what nickname does Melony think of Homer in Chapter 6?
(b) Butter ball.
(c) Teddy bear.
(d) Muffin man.
3. Homer notices the majority of the cider house rules have to do with what in Chapter 7?
(a) Being on the tin roof.
(b) The cleaning of equipment.
(c) The practicing of voodoo.
(d) Starting work early in the morning.
4. Chapter 10 begins how many years later than Chapter 9?
5. Dr. Larch begins going around now and doing what each night in Chapter 7?
(a) Checking the window locks.
(b) Doing the dishes.
(c) Sweeping the floors.
(d) Kissing the boys goodnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melony frames a newspaper article about what in Chapter 10?
2. When the other workers leave for lunch, who stays behind to climb up on to the tin roof of the cider house in Chapter 7?
3. During the war, Candy and Homer work as nurses' aides at the local hospital and one of the nurses they meet there is whom?
4. What is the name of the home on Ocean's View Orchard where the workers live during the harvest season?
5. When two men from the orchard run after her, Melony beats one of them up with her fists and feet and the other with what in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
2. What leads to the sexual interaction between Grace and Homer in Chapter 7?
3. What is foreshadowed by Wally's return in Chapter 10?
4. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
5. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
6. Who begins to press Dr. Larch toward retirement in Chapter 6?
7. How long has Homer been gone from the orphanage in Chapter 6? What is going on at the orphanage?
8. What is discovered about the behavior of Wally Senior in Chapter 7?
9. How have Homer's feelings about St. Cloud's changed in Chapter 6?
10. What is symbolized in the coming of spring in Chapter 9?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)