|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night before Wally goes back to college, he takes Homer where?
(a) To a rodeo.
(b) To the fair.
(c) To a bowling alley.
(d) To a seafood restaurant.
2. From whose coat does Melony steal money before leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
(a) Nurse Caroline's.
(b) Nurse Edna's.
(c) Mrs. Grogan's.
(d) Olive Worthington's.
3. By what nickname does Melony think of Homer in Chapter 6?
(a) Teddy bear.
(b) Muffin man.
(d) Butter ball.
4. It takes how long for Homer to write his first letter to Dr. Larch after leaving the orphanage in Chapter 6?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 3 days.
5. A woman whose husband died in the war comes into the hospital for what in Chapter 9?
(a) Heart surgery.
(b) Hand surgery.
(c) An abortion.
(d) Brain surgery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Dr. Larch in Chapter 10?
2. Melony frames a newspaper article about what in Chapter 10?
3. When the other workers leave for lunch, who stays behind to climb up on to the tin roof of the cider house in Chapter 7?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 9, one of the orchard workers has dreams about Wally, which she takes as a sign that Wally is what?
5. After his first letter to Dr. Larch, Homer writes home about how often in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Candy establish rules for her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
2. How does Melony's relationship with Lorna parallel her relationship with Homer in Chapter 10?
3. What is Dr. Larch setting up for the character of Fuzzy Stone in Chapter 7?
4. How does Dr. Larch relate to Melony in Chapter 6?
5. What do Homer and Candy discuss on Ray Kendall's dock in Chapter 8?
6. What can Homer see has changed at St. Cloud's in Chapter 9?
7. What is foreshadowed in Nurse Caroline's warning in Chapter 9?
8. Why does Homer take offense to Dr. Larch's telling him he can have a normal life in Chapter 8?
9. What takes place on Thanksgiving in Chapter 8? Where is the novel set in this chapter?
10. What does Melony do when being chased by two workers in Chapter 7?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)