|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the virtue of empathy for the suffering of others?
2. In regarding Danny’s relationship with his father, Reuven says in Chapter 12, "I almost had the impression that they were physically incapable of communicating with each other about” what?
3. What declines considerably at Reuven’s college after the memorial for a fallen graduate in Chapter 15?
4. Passover is a commemoration of the story of what?
5. Reuven and Danny have intense debates during whose class in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reuven conclude about Rav Gershenson’s viewpoints in Chapter 14?
2. What is the significance of Danny’s discussion of silence in Chapter 17?
3. How do Reuven and Danny spend their first month of summer in Chapter 10?
4. What is the central theme of Chapter 18? How does this theme relate to silence?
5. How is the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt described in Chapter 11?
6. How does the synagogue respond when Reb Saunders announces Danny’s plans for his education in Chapter 18?
7. What does Reuven’s father compare Danny Saunders to in Chapter 17?
8. What does Reuven’s father realize about Reb Saunders’ silence with Danny in Chapter 17?
9. How does the new school year begin for Reuven and Danny in Chapter 11?
10. What has Danny decided to study in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Reuven’s conversation with Reb Saunders in Chapter 8. How does Reuven feel when confronted about Danny’s actions? Does he feel as if he is betraying his friend? How does Danny feel that his father did not speak to him directly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of psychology in the book. Why is Danny drawn toward the study of psychoanalysis? How does Reuven differ in this regard? What does Danny’s interest in psychology cause conflict within his family and culture?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of The Chosen and the importance of that setting to the narrative and its themes. Could The Chosen be “modernized,” or would this affect the story itself? Why or why not?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)