|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When considering his further education, Danny states that he will remain what?
2. Reuven is called on the first week of which month to discuss texts from the Talmud in his new Talmud class in Chapter 14?
3. Reb Saunders talks about how he was blessed with a brilliant son, but the brilliant son had no what, in Chapter 18?
4. What gesture does Danny Saunders make that indicates to Reuven he is showing sympathy for Reuven and his father in Chapter 14?
5. Reuven tells Reb Saunders of his plans to become what in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Reuven and Danny spend their first month of summer in Chapter 10?
2. What viewpoints does Chapter 12 present regarding the creation of Israel?
3. What is the significance of Danny’s discussion of silence in Chapter 17?
4. How does the synagogue respond when Reb Saunders announces Danny’s plans for his education in Chapter 18?
5. What does Reuven observe about Reb Saunders’ behavior in Chapter 12?
6. What does Reuven conclude about Rav Gershenson’s viewpoints in Chapter 14?
7. What gesture does Danny make to intimate his sympathy for Reuven in Chapter 14?
8. What has Danny decided to study in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
9. How does David Malter defend the actions of Reb Saunders in Chapter 13?
10. What does Reuven’s father realize about Reb Saunders’ silence with Danny in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define literary motif and discuss the motif of silence illustrated in the novel. What different silences are described by the narrator? What do they symbolize to him? What does silence mean to Danny and Reb Saunders?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of psychology in the book. Why is Danny drawn toward the study of psychoanalysis? How does Reuven differ in this regard? What does Danny’s interest in psychology cause conflict within his family and culture?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Reuven’s dismissal of Danny’s apology in Chapter 2. What does Reuven’s father tell him about this act? How does he use the Torah in his advice to Reuven? How does Reuven’s action relate to the themes of the novel?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)