|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Reuven, Danny, and Reb Saunders meet in Chapter 18?
2. Danny Saunders has decided that he wants to pursue his studies in what in Chapter 16?
3. When did President Franklin Delano Roosevelt die?
4. When the news of unconditional surrender comes from the Germans, it is determined that the death toll of the Jews murdered in the concentration camps was over how many?
5. A battle breaks out between Hasidic and non-Hasidic Jews during lunch one day about what in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting and time period of Chapter 15? How does Danny reemerge in Reuven’s life?
2. How is the relationship between Danny and Reuven illustrated in Chapter 15?
3. How does the death of a Hirsch College graduate affect Reuven and his fellow classmates in Chapter 15?
4. What does Reuven conclude about Rav Gershenson’s viewpoints in Chapter 14?
5. What does Reb Saunders conclude about compassion in Chapter 18?
6. How does Reb Saunders treat Reuven in Chapter 16? How does Reuven feel about this?
7. What does Reuven’s father realize about Reb Saunders’ silence with Danny in Chapter 17?
8. How are the religious studies and lifestyles of Reuven and Danny juxtaposed in Chapter 10?
9. How does David Malter defend the actions of Reb Saunders in Chapter 13?
10. How is the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt described in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Mr. Savo, Billy Merritt and Mr. Galanter. What are Reuven’s impressions of each of these individuals? How do they each influence Reuven as a character? What do they each represent symbolically in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of D-Day on the characters in the novel in Chapter 3. How does Reuven respond to this historical event? What does Reuven’s father believe that D-Day indicates for the future of the Jewish People? What does Danny’s father think?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of forgiveness and friendship in the novel. How are these themes illustrated in Reuven’s acceptance of Danny’s apology in Chapter 3? Where else is forgiveness a key theme in the novel? What does Danny’s friendship mean to Reuven?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)