|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Reuven research the meaning of to help him understand the trouble Danny has with experimental psychology in Chapter 13?
2. What has Reuven Malter’s father suffered in Chapter 12?
3. Passover is a commemoration of the story of what?
4. Danny is frustrated by reading and translating his psychological texts until he finds what in Chapter 10?
5. Passover begins on the fifteenth day of what month of the Jewish calendar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gesture does Danny make to intimate his sympathy for Reuven in Chapter 14?
2. What does Reuven remark about the relationship between Reb Saunders and Danny in Chapter 12?
3. What does Reuven’s father realize about Reb Saunders’ silence with Danny in Chapter 17?
4. What does Reuven conclude about Rav Gershenson’s viewpoints in Chapter 14?
5. What does Reb Saunders conclude about compassion in Chapter 18?
6. How is the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt described in Chapter 11?
7. What does Reuven’s father compare Danny Saunders to in Chapter 17?
8. What is the significance of Danny’s discussion of silence in Chapter 17?
9. What viewpoints does Chapter 12 present regarding the creation of Israel?
10. What is the central conflict in Chapter 14? How does Reuven feel about Danny’s absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Danny Saunders in the narrative. How is Danny described when he is introduced in Chapter 1? What are Reuven’s first impressions of Danny? Why? How do these impressions evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Reuven’s conversation with Reb Saunders in Chapter 8. How does Reuven feel when confronted about Danny’s actions? Does he feel as if he is betraying his friend? How does Danny feel that his father did not speak to him directly?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of forgiveness and friendship in the novel. How are these themes illustrated in Reuven’s acceptance of Danny’s apology in Chapter 3? Where else is forgiveness a key theme in the novel? What does Danny’s friendship mean to Reuven?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)