|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Danny is upset to find that Hirsch College studies experimental psychology as opposed to what?
2. Reuven and Danny have intense debates during whose class in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 18, Reuven and Danny complete their undergraduate college degrees, both earning what honors?
4. Who meets regularly with Reuven and Danny at the library in Chapter 10?
5. Where does Reuven’s father give a speech in support of Zionism in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reuven’s father remark about Reb Saunders’ methods of raising his son in Chapter 16?
2. What causes the animosity between Danny and Reuven in Chapter 13?
3. How does the death of a Hirsch College graduate affect Reuven and his fellow classmates in Chapter 15?
4. How do Reuven and Danny spend their first month of summer in Chapter 10?
5. How does the synagogue respond when Reb Saunders announces Danny’s plans for his education in Chapter 18?
6. How are the religious studies and lifestyles of Reuven and Danny juxtaposed in Chapter 10?
7. How is the relationship between Danny and Reuven illustrated in Chapter 15?
8. How is the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt described in Chapter 11?
9. What is the central theme of Chapter 18? How does this theme relate to silence?
10. What has Danny decided to study in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of psychology in the book. Why is Danny drawn toward the study of psychoanalysis? How does Reuven differ in this regard? What does Danny’s interest in psychology cause conflict within his family and culture?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of D-Day on the characters in the novel in Chapter 3. How does Reuven respond to this historical event? What does Reuven’s father believe that D-Day indicates for the future of the Jewish People? What does Danny’s father think?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of The Chosen and the importance of that setting to the narrative and its themes. Could The Chosen be “modernized,” or would this affect the story itself? Why or why not?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)