|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reuven’s Talmud instructor calls on him to discuss Talmud texts at the end of February in Chapter 14. For how many days does Reuven continue discussing the passage in class?
2. Where does Reuven’s father travel for research for his articles in Chapter 10?
3. When was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt born?
4. While he is hospitalized in Chapter 12, Reuven’s father reads everything he can about what?
5. Where do Reuven, Danny, and Reb Saunders meet in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Reuven and Danny spend their first month of summer in Chapter 10?
2. How does David Malter defend the actions of Reb Saunders in Chapter 13?
3. What causes the animosity between Danny and Reuven in Chapter 13?
4. What does Reuven’s father realize about Reb Saunders’ silence with Danny in Chapter 17?
5. What does Reuven’s father compare Danny Saunders to in Chapter 17?
6. What is the central conflict in Chapter 14? How does Reuven feel about Danny’s absence?
7. How does the death of a Hirsch College graduate affect Reuven and his fellow classmates in Chapter 15?
8. What does Reuven’s father remark about Reb Saunders’ methods of raising his son in Chapter 16?
9. What does Reb Saunders conclude about compassion in Chapter 18?
10. What does Reuven remark about the relationship between Reb Saunders and Danny in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Williamsburg, Brooklin in the 1930s. What ethnic and religious groups lived principally in this neighborhood at the time? How inclusive is Reuven’s neighborhood? What is a “brownstone” and how are these houses set up? How wealthy is Reuven’s family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Reuven’s dismissal of Danny’s apology in Chapter 2. What does Reuven’s father tell him about this act? How does he use the Torah in his advice to Reuven? How does Reuven’s action relate to the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of vision and the eyes in the novel. How does Reuven react to losing his vision even temporarily? How is vision used as a metaphor throughout the book? How does this symbolism apply to Danny’s character?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)