|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reuven is amazed in Chapter 5 that the baseball game accident had happened only how many days ago?
2. What led to Reuven Malter’s injury in Chapter 2?
3. Reuven has a picture of what physicist on his wall in Chapter 5?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 3, the hospital patients are listening to the news about what historical event?
5. What is the name of Reuven Malter’s father in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Reuven taken for his injury in Chapter 2? How does Reuven feel?
2. What conversation do Reuven and Danny have about Reb Saunders in Chapter 7?
3. What is indicated by Reuven’s thoughts in the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. What is indicated by David Malter’s description of the fortunate and unfortunate in Chapter 4?
5. How does Reuven feel like his life has changed when he returns home from the hospital in Chapter 5? Why?
6. Who does Reuven meet in his hospital room after he awakens from surgery in Chapter 2?
7. How does the challenging baseball team appear to Reuven’s teammates in Chapter 1?
8. Whose baseball teams play against one another in Chapter 1? How are these teams attired and where do they play?
9. How are the differences between Reuven and Danny explained to Reuven by his father in Chapter 6?
10. How does Reuven respond to the apology offered him in Chapter 2? What does this indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss F.D.R., Albert Einstein and Tchaikovsky. Why does the author choose to mention each of these individuals as heroes to the protagonist? What is each individual’s historical significance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Reb Saunders in the novel. What are Reuven’s feelings about Reb Saunders? How does Danny communicate with his father? How does Reb Saunders differ from David Malter?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Danny Saunders in the narrative. How is Danny described when he is introduced in Chapter 1? What are Reuven’s first impressions of Danny? Why? How do these impressions evolve?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)