|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the nurse who is in charge of Reuven Malter in the hospital in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 4, Reuven's father tells him that "[t]he Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself. One is to acquire” what?
3. What is a system of assigning numerical value to a word or phrase, in the belief that words or phrases with identical numerical values bear some relation to each other, or bear some relation to the number itself as it may apply to a person's age, the calendar year, or the like?
4. What does Reuven Malter’s father bring to him while he is in the hospital in Chapter 2?
5. What kind of school does Reuven Malter attend in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reb Saunders call Reuven’s father in Chapter 2? How does Reuven respond?
2. How is Reuven’s health in the beginning of Chapter 9? What do he and Danny discuss when they meet?
3. What does Reuven’s father reveal to Reuven about his condition and surgery in Chapter 2?
4. Where is Reuven taken for his injury in Chapter 2? How does Reuven feel?
5. How does Reuven feel like his life has changed when he returns home from the hospital in Chapter 5? Why?
6. How does Reuven respond to the apology offered him in Chapter 2? What does this indicate?
7. How does Reuven become injured during the game in Chapter 1? How does the game end?
8. Whose baseball teams play against one another in Chapter 1? How are these teams attired and where do they play?
9. Who does Reuven meet in his hospital room after he awakens from surgery in Chapter 2?
10. What is indicated by Reuven’s thoughts in the beginning of Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Shabbtai Zvi on Jewish culture and beliefs. How did Judaism change after his emergence and disappearance? Why is Shabbtai Zvi discussed in The Chosen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of psychology in the book. Why is Danny drawn toward the study of psychoanalysis? How does Reuven differ in this regard? What does Danny’s interest in psychology cause conflict within his family and culture?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of David Malter in the narrative. What relationship does David have with his son? How is this illustrated through their conversations in the novel? What relationship does David Malter form with Danny Saunders?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)