|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Reuven becomes upset because whose notions contradict everything he knows in Chapter 12?
(b) Pablo Picasso’s.
(c) Adolf Hitler's.
(d) Sigmund Freud’s.
2. Reuven comes to believe that his Talmud teacher sympathizes with what viewpoint in the end of Chapter 14?
(a) The Christian viewpoint.
(b) The Hasidic viewpoint.
(c) The Mormon viewpoint.
(d) The Islamic viewpoint.
3. In Chapter 18, Reb Saunders states that he believes that the Master of the Universe sent Reuven to his son Danny because Reuven had what?
(a) A soul.
(c) A heart.
(d) A brain.
4. Danny Saunders’ psychology professor explains to him that Freudian psychology cannot be applied to what in Chapter 13?
(a) Modern times.
(b) Women and children.
(c) Ancient times.
(d) The masses.
5. Danny Saunders applies to programs at what three educational institutions in Chapter 17?
(a) Stanford, Yale, Harvard.
(b) Rutgers, Columbia, and Yale.
(c) Harvard, Berkeley and Columbia.
(d) Stanford, Harvard, and Rutgers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Nazi party dissolved in Europe?
2. Where does Reuven’s father give a speech in support of Zionism in Chapter 13?
3. What is a central theme in the novel and one that is illustrated in Chapter 16?
4. Danny Saunders contemplates going where to earn a doctorate in Chapter 16?
5. When considering his further education, Danny states that he will rid himself of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What viewpoints does Chapter 12 present regarding the creation of Israel?
2. What gesture does Danny make to intimate his sympathy for Reuven in Chapter 14?
3. What does Reuven conclude about Rav Gershenson’s viewpoints in Chapter 14?
4. What does Reuven’s father remark about Reb Saunders’ methods of raising his son in Chapter 16?
5. What is the setting and time period of Chapter 15? How does Danny reemerge in Reuven’s life?
6. What is the central theme of Chapter 18? How does this theme relate to silence?
7. What does Reuven’s father realize about Reb Saunders’ silence with Danny in Chapter 17?
8. How does the synagogue respond when Reb Saunders announces Danny’s plans for his education in Chapter 18?
9. What does Reuven remark about the relationship between Reb Saunders and Danny in Chapter 12?
10. What is the significance of Danny’s discussion of silence in Chapter 17?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)