|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did D-Day occur in World War II?
(a) June 6, 1944.
(b) December 3, 1942.
(c) April 12, 1945.
(d) September 27, 1943.
2. The entire Hirsch campus is saddened by the rising violence between whom in Chapter 15?
(a) The Arabs and Jews of Palestine.
(b) The Brazilians and the Kenyans.
(c) The Americans and the Japanese.
(d) The Russians and the Germans.
3. In Chapter 18, Reuven and Danny complete their undergraduate college degrees, both earning what honors?
(a) Summa cum laude.
(b) Magna cum laude.
(c) Gamma cum laude.
(d) Cum laude.
4. Reb Saunders views a secular Jewish state as a sacrilege and violation of what?
(a) The Christian Bible.
(b) The Torah.
(c) The Quran.
5. What is a central theme in the novel and one that is illustrated in Chapter 16?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Danny is upset to find that Hirsch College studies experimental psychology as opposed to what?
2. After not seeing him for several months, Reuven goes to visit Danny at the end of which month in Chapter 11?
3. What psychological term refers to the ability to acquire knowledge without inference and/or the use of reason?
4. When did the Battle of the Bulge begin?
5. Danny Saunders’ psychology professor explains to him that Freudian psychology cannot be applied to what in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Danny decided to study in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
2. How does David Malter defend the actions of Reb Saunders in Chapter 13?
3. What does Reuven’s father realize about Reb Saunders’ silence with Danny in Chapter 17?
4. What is the central conflict in Chapter 14? How does Reuven feel about Danny’s absence?
5. What viewpoints does Chapter 12 present regarding the creation of Israel?
6. How are the religious studies and lifestyles of Reuven and Danny juxtaposed in Chapter 10?
7. How does the synagogue respond when Reb Saunders announces Danny’s plans for his education in Chapter 18?
8. How does Reb Saunders treat Reuven in Chapter 16? How does Reuven feel about this?
9. How is Reuven’s time spent with his father in Chapter 10? Why does Mr. Malter travel to Manhattan?
10. What does Reuven’s father compare Danny Saunders to in Chapter 17?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)