|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose eye must be removed at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Billy Merritt's.
(b) Mr. Savo’s.
(c) Rav Gershenson’s.
2. In Chapter 8, Reuven describes one of his recent trips to the library when he found an article in what publication?
(a) The Journal of the American Medical Association.
(b) Reader's Digest.
(c) The Journal of Symbolic Logic.
(d) Psychology Weekly.
3. What text do Danny and Reuven spend studying at Reb Saunders’ study in Chapter 8?
(b) Pirkei Avot.
(c) Sepher Yezirah.
(d) Midrash Tanhuma.
4. What kind of school does Reuven Malter attend in Chapter 1?
(a) A Pilpul.
(b) A Kosher.
(c) A Smicha.
(d) A Yeshiva.
5. Reuven has war maps from what periodical all over his walls in Chapter 5?
(c) National Geographic.
(d) The New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reuven learns that Danny’s father only talks to him when in Chapter 4?
2. Danny Saunders’ father brought his congregation to the United States and settled in what neighborhood of Brooklyn?
3. In Chapter 8, Danny reads aloud about what historical figure that invented the idea of the tzaddik?
4. What name refers to a set of small black leather boxes containing scrolls of parchment inscribed with verses from the Torah, which are worn by observant Jews during weekday morning prayers?
5. When was Shabbtai Zvi born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose baseball teams play against one another in Chapter 1? How are these teams attired and where do they play?
2. Where is Reuven taken for his injury in Chapter 2? How does Reuven feel?
3. What is indicated by Reuven’s thoughts in the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. What is significant about Danny’s and Reuven’s aspirations within their synagogues in Chapter 3?
5. Who does Reuven meet in his hospital room after he awakens from surgery in Chapter 2?
6. What is indicated by David Malter’s discussion of Dov Baer in Chapter 8?
7. What two things does David Malter say the Talmud says a person should do for himself in Chapter 4?
8. What is foreshadowed through Reuven’s inner thoughts and considerations returning home from the hospital in Chapter 5?
9. How does the relationship between Reuven and Danny evolve in Chapter 3?
10. What is the implication when Reuven’s eyes are tested in the light in Chapter 2?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)