|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the seventh day of the Jewish week and the Jewish day of rest?
2. Reuven calls Billy’s home to see how his surgery went in Chapter 9. What does Reuven learn?
(a) The operation was unsuccessful.
(b) The operation was successful.
(c) The operation was postponed.
(d) The operation was too risky and will not happen.
3. In describing the history of the Jews, Reuven’s father says in Chapter 6 that which European country encouraged Jews to come live there because the country was poor and needed a boost to the economy?
4. Danny Saunders finds Reuven at the library and reads aloud to him passages from what book in Chapter 8?
(a) Jews, Gentiles, and Christianity.
(b) The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels.
(c) Jews, God, and History.
(d) The History of the Jews.
5. Danny Saunders’ father brought his congregation to the United States after what historic event?
(a) World War I.
(b) The War of 1812.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Vietnam War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Danny Saunders explains to Reuven in Chapter 8 that he wants to read Freud but first must learn what in order to read his original writings?
2. Only what language is spoken at the service at Danny Saunders’ synagogue in Chapter 7?
3. From which point-of-view is the narrative of The Chosen related?
4. Who from Reuven’s baseball team visits him at the hospital in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 4, Reuven's father tells him that "[t]he Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself.” Reuven chimes in to say that the second thing is to acquire what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Reuven meet in his hospital room after he awakens from surgery in Chapter 2?
2. What does Reuven’s father reveal to Reuven about his condition and surgery in Chapter 2?
3. How does Reuven respond to the information he learns about Billy in Chapter 9? What symbolic imagery is described at the end of this chapter?
4. Who is the narrator of The Chosen? How old is this character in Chapter 1, and how is his life and family described?
5. What two things does David Malter say the Talmud says a person should do for himself in Chapter 4?
6. How does the baseball game begin in Chapter 1? Who takes the lead?
7. What historical figure does David Malter compare Danny Saunders to in Chapter 6? How is this individual’s influence on Judaism described?
8. Where is Reuven taken for his injury in Chapter 2? How does Reuven feel?
9. What is demonstrated by Danny’s interests in psychoanalysis in the novel?
10. How is Reuven’s relationship with his father illustrated in Chapter 3?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)