|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Reuven Malter’s father in the narrative?
(a) Marcus Malter.
(b) David Malter.
(c) Thomas Malter.
(d) Roger Malter.
2. How old is Reuven Malter in Chapter 1?
3. Who reveals that he meets with Danny Saunders in the library in Chapter 4?
(a) David Malter.
(b) Dr. Grossman.
(c) Mr. Galanter.
4. Whose actions led to Reuven Malter’s injury in Chapter 2?
(a) Jack Rose's.
(c) Billy Merritt's.
(d) Danny Saunders’.
5. Who is Reuven Malter’s gym teacher in Chapter 1?
(a) Mrs. Snydman.
(b) Mrs. Carpenter.
(c) Mr. Galanter.
(d) Mr. Grossman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Malters’ housekeeper in Chapter 5?
2. According to Reuven’s father in Chapter 6, the Cossacks were members of what church in Russia?
3. What is a central text of Rabbinic Judaism, considered second to the Torah?
4. What name refers to a set of small black leather boxes containing scrolls of parchment inscribed with verses from the Torah, which are worn by observant Jews during weekday morning prayers?
5. Reuven goes onto his front porch and observes what caught in a spider web in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Reuven’s health in the beginning of Chapter 9? What do he and Danny discuss when they meet?
2. Who does Reuven meet in his hospital room after he awakens from surgery in Chapter 2?
3. What two things does David Malter say the Talmud says a person should do for himself in Chapter 4?
4. What is indicated by David Malter’s description of the fortunate and unfortunate in Chapter 4?
5. How is Reuven’s relationship with his father illustrated in Chapter 3?
6. How are the differences between Reuven and Danny explained to Reuven by his father in Chapter 6?
7. Whose baseball teams play against one another in Chapter 1? How are these teams attired and where do they play?
8. How does Reuven become injured during the game in Chapter 1? How does the game end?
9. How is Danny Saunders described in Chapter 1? What is Danny’s apparel like? Where does he live?
10. What changes Reb Saunders’ views of Reuven in Chapter 7? How is this indicated?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)