|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reb Saunders ask Reuven while they are alone waiting for tea in Chapter 8?
(a) If Danny has a girlfriend.
(b) How Danny acts at school.
(c) If Danny has lied to him.
(d) What books Danny is reading.
2. In Chapter 4, Reuven's father tells him that "[t]he Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself.” Reuven chimes in to say that the second thing is to acquire what?
(a) A car.
(b) A friend.
(d) A wife.
3. What does Reuven Malter’s father bring to him while he is in the hospital in Chapter 2?
(a) A Torah.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A television.
(d) A radio.
4. What does Reuven tell Mr. Savo his father wants him to be when he grows up in Chapter 3?
(a) A banker.
(b) A mathematician.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
5. In Chapter 8, Reuven describes one of his recent trips to the library when he found an article in what publication?
(a) Psychology Weekly.
(b) The Journal of the American Medical Association.
(c) The Journal of Symbolic Logic.
(d) Reader's Digest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reuven learns that Billy’s family is moving where in Chapter 9?
2. Reuven calls Billy’s home to see how his surgery went in Chapter 9. What does Reuven learn?
3. Reuven has not seen Danny Saunders in how long in the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What is the name of Danny Saunders’ younger brother who is sick in Chapter 8?
5. What does Reuven’s father refer to as discussion about the Talmud that has no relationship to the world in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is indicated by David Malter’s discussion of Dov Baer in Chapter 8?
2. How does Reuven become injured during the game in Chapter 1? How does the game end?
3. What is foreshadowed by David Malter’s comments about friendship in Chapter 4?
4. What is the implication when Reuven’s eyes are tested in the light in Chapter 2?
5. What does Reuven consider about his first foray into the Hasidic world in Chapter 7?
6. How is Reuven’s relationship with his father illustrated in Chapter 3?
7. What is foreshadowed through Reuven’s inner thoughts and considerations returning home from the hospital in Chapter 5?
8. How does the relationship between Reuven and Danny evolve in Chapter 3?
9. How does Reuven respond to the information he learns about Billy in Chapter 9? What symbolic imagery is described at the end of this chapter?
10. What does Reuven’s father reveal to Reuven about his condition and surgery in Chapter 2?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)