|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Reuven says, "I felt I had crossed into another world, that little pieces of my old self had been left behind on the black asphalt floor of the school yard alongside” what?
(a) “The torn pages of the Talmud.”
(b) “The tattered shards of my ego.”
(c) “The shattered lends of my glasses.”
(d) “The trampled shards of my Tefillin.”
2. According to Reuven’s father in Chapter 6, the Cossacks were members of what church in Russia?
(a) The Greek Orthodox Church.
(b) The Church of Vissarionism.
(c) The Evangelical Church.
(d) The Pentecostal Church.
3. What is a system of assigning numerical value to a word or phrase, in the belief that words or phrases with identical numerical values bear some relation to each other, or bear some relation to the number itself as it may apply to a person's age, the calendar year, or the like?
4. In Chapter 4, Reuven's father tells him that "[t]he Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself.” Reuven chimes in to say that the second thing is to acquire what?
(a) A car.
(b) A wife.
(d) A friend.
5. Who does Reuven Malter hear groaning from his hospital bed in the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Mr. Savo.
(b) Mr. Carpenter.
(c) Mr. Merritt.
(d) Mr. Cantor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name refers to a set of small black leather boxes containing scrolls of parchment inscribed with verses from the Torah, which are worn by observant Jews during weekday morning prayers?
2. Who is the attending doctor to Reuven Malter during his hospital stay in Chapter 2?
3. Danny Saunders and Reuven Malter discover they were born how far apart in Chapter 7?
4. What does Reuven’s father refer to as discussion about the Talmud that has no relationship to the world in Chapter 6?
5. Danny Saunders explains to Reuven in Chapter 8 that he wants to read Freud but first must learn what in order to read his original writings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reuven’s father reveal to Reuven about his condition and surgery in Chapter 2?
2. How does the challenging baseball team appear to Reuven’s teammates in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Reb Saunders call Reuven’s father in Chapter 2? How does Reuven respond?
4. How does the baseball game begin in Chapter 1? Who takes the lead?
5. How is Reuven’s health in the beginning of Chapter 9? What do he and Danny discuss when they meet?
6. How is Reuven’s home described when he returns from the hospital in Chapter 5? Who greets them when they arrive home?
7. How does Reuven respond to the information he learns about Billy in Chapter 9? What symbolic imagery is described at the end of this chapter?
8. What does Reuven consider about his first foray into the Hasidic world in Chapter 7?
9. Whose baseball teams play against one another in Chapter 1? How are these teams attired and where do they play?
10. How does Reuven feel like his life has changed when he returns home from the hospital in Chapter 5? Why?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)