|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does Reuven’s family go to stay in a cottage in Chapter 10?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 5 days.
2. What name refers to the genocide of millions of European Jews during World War II?
3. What does Danny say to explain his presence to Reuven in Chapter 16?
(a) “Best friends, always.”
(b) “God wants me here.”
(c) “The ban has been lifted.”
(d) “Will you be my friend again?”
4. Danny Saunders realizes that his father will discover his educational plans by what means in Chapter 17?
(a) Phone calls from school representatives.
(b) A degree on the wall.
(c) Newspaper articles.
(d) University materials in the mail.
5. At the end of Chapter 15, Danny Saunders appears at Reuven’s lunch table and asks for help with what?
(a) English literature.
(c) World geography.
(d) Experimental psychology graphs and tables.
6. When considering his further education, Danny states that he will rid himself of what?
(a) Religious viewpoints.
(b) His family heritage.
(c) Sidelocks and Hasidic attire.
(d) Political affiliations.
7. How old was Danny Saunders when he was able to read a story about a poor Jew and his struggles, according to Reb Saunders in Chapter 18?
8. Danny Saunders worries when his brother becomes ill in Chapter 17 because it may mean that he will not inherit what?
(a) The goyim.
(b) The caftan.
(c) The Talmud.
(d) The tzaddik.
9. What gesture does Danny Saunders make that indicates to Reuven he is showing sympathy for Reuven and his father in Chapter 14?
(a) He winks at him.
(b) He pats him on the back.
(c) He tips his hat.
(d) He brushes him in the hallway.
10. Reb Saunders views a secular Jewish state as a sacrilege and violation of what?
(a) The Christian Bible.
(c) The Torah.
(d) The Quran.
11. Reuven begins what year of his college studies at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) His sixth year.
(b) His fourth year.
(c) His third year.
(d) His second year.
12. Where does Reuven’s father give a speech in support of Zionism in Chapter 13?
(a) Central Park.
(b) Madison Square Garden.
(c) The Empire State Building.
(d) The American Museum of Natural History.
13. What has Reuven Malter’s father suffered in Chapter 12?
(a) An aneurism.
(b) Temporary amnesia.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) A stroke.
14. What is a form of nationalism of Jews and Jewish culture that supports a Jewish nation state in territory defined as the Land of Israel?
15. Danny Saunders contemplates going where to earn a doctorate in Chapter 16?
(a) UC Berkeley.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Columbia University.
(d) UC Santa Barbara.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the financial center of the State of Israel?
2. Reuven tells Reb Saunders of his plans to become what in Chapter 18?
3. During what month is it rumored at Reuven’s college that a recent graduate has been killed in the fighting in Palestine in Chapter 15?
4. When did D-Day occur in World War II?
5. Danny Saunders discusses his feelings about experimental psychology with what professor in Chapter 13?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)