|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose actions led to Reuven Malter’s injury in Chapter 2?
(a) Danny Saunders’.
(b) Billy Merritt's.
(d) Jack Rose's.
2. Sigmund Freud is considered to be the father of what?
3. From which point-of-view is the narrative of The Chosen related?
4. Reuven learns that Danny’s father only talks to him when in Chapter 4?
(a) At dinner.
(b) At breakfast.
(c) On weekends.
(d) When they study the Talmud.
5. Reuven has not seen Danny Saunders in how long in the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 8 hours.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 4 days.
6. Who is the attending doctor to Reuven Malter during his hospital stay in Chapter 2?
(a) Dr. Lawrence.
(b) Dr. Robinson.
(c) Dr. Snydman.
(d) Dr. Martin.
7. What is the name of Danny Saunders’ younger brother who is sick in Chapter 8?
(a) Billy Merritt.
(b) Levi Saunders.
(c) Sidney Goldberg.
(d) Rav Gershenson.
8. In Chapter 4, Reuven's father tells him that "[t]he Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself.” Reuven chimes in to say that the second thing is to acquire what?
(b) A wife.
(c) A friend.
(d) A car.
9. What does Reuven Malter’s father bring to him while he is in the hospital in Chapter 2?
(a) A television.
(b) A radio.
(c) A Torah.
(d) A newspaper.
10. Reuven is not allowed to read yet, so he goes over what in his head at the library in Chapter 8?
(a) Baseball games.
(b) The American Civil War.
(d) Propositional calculus.
11. What is the Hebrew word for sidelocks or sidecurls within the Jewish tradition?
12. What does Danny Saunders tell Reuven when he visits him at the hospital in Chapter 3?
(a) He's sorry.
(b) His team won.
(c) He will never play baseball again.
(d) His team lost.
13. According to Reuven’s father in Chapter 6, the Cossacks fought against the Jews in what year?
14. By what name is Danny Saunders’ father referred to in the novel?
(a) Max Saunders.
(b) Don Saunders.
(c) Reb Saunders.
(d) Jed Saunders.
15. Who were historically referred to as the “Masters of the Name” and were believed to be capable of driving away evil spirits by using magical amulets, according to Reuven’s father in Chapter 6?
(a) The Yeshiva Payot.
(b) The Ba'ale Shem.
(c) The Messiahs.
(d) The Shadira.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reuven do in order to save a creature caught in a spider web in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 4, Reuven's father tells him that "[t]he Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself. One is to acquire” what?
3. What name refers to a set of small black leather boxes containing scrolls of parchment inscribed with verses from the Torah, which are worn by observant Jews during weekday morning prayers?
4. What was responsible for causing Billy’s blindness in the novel?
5. Danny Saunders’ father brought his congregation to the United States and settled in what neighborhood of Brooklyn?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)