|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was responsible for causing Billy’s blindness in the novel?
(a) A hunting accident.
(b) An explosion.
(c) A chemical spill.
(d) A car accident.
2. What is the name of Reuven Malter’s father in the narrative?
(a) Thomas Malter.
(b) Roger Malter.
(c) David Malter.
(d) Marcus Malter.
3. How many blocks away from Reuven Malter does Danny Saunders live in Chapter 1?
4. How old is Danny Saunders in Chapter 1?
5. What does Danny Saunders want to be when he grows up in Chapter 3?
(a) A bus driver.
(b) A chemist.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A meteorologist.
6. What is a Jewish term referring to one who does not have a share in the world to come?
7. Whose actions led to Reuven Malter’s injury in Chapter 2?
(a) Jack Rose's.
(b) Danny Saunders’.
(d) Billy Merritt's.
8. What is the Hebrew word for sidelocks or sidecurls within the Jewish tradition?
9. What does Reuven tell Mr. Savo his father wants him to be when he grows up in Chapter 3?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A banker.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A mathematician.
10. What name refers to a set of small black leather boxes containing scrolls of parchment inscribed with verses from the Torah, which are worn by observant Jews during weekday morning prayers?
11. Who does Reuven Malter hear groaning from his hospital bed in the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Mr. Savo.
(b) Mr. Carpenter.
(c) Mr. Merritt.
(d) Mr. Cantor.
12. According to Reuven’s father in Chapter 6, the Cossacks fought against the Jews in what year?
13. Only what language is spoken at the service at Danny Saunders’ synagogue in Chapter 7?
14. Reuven’s father says that in 1700 a Jewish child named Israel was born. Instead of studying the Talmud, Israel studied what?
(a) The Nevi'im.
(b) The Mishnah.
(c) The Midrash.
(d) The Kabbalah.
15. Danny Saunders and Reuven Malter discover they were born how far apart in Chapter 7?
(a) 8 days.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 7 weeks.
(d) 2 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reuven Malter is told that he will be released from the hospital when in Chapter 4?
2. What is the name of Danny Saunders’ younger brother who is sick in Chapter 8?
3. What is a system of assigning numerical value to a word or phrase, in the belief that words or phrases with identical numerical values bear some relation to each other, or bear some relation to the number itself as it may apply to a person's age, the calendar year, or the like?
4. Where was Shabbtai Zvi born?
5. Danny Saunders plans on studying the Talmud and reading the works of whom during his vacation in Chapter 9?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)