|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Theo see Julian in Chapter 19?
2. Who drives the car at the end of Chapter 23?
3. Why is Miriam concerned about how fast the car is being driven in Chapter 24?
4. Who says the burial service over Luke?
5. What is Theo doing when there is a knock at the door in the second chapter of Book 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Rolf after Theo awakes after Luke's burial? What does Theo expect he is doing and what is his response?
2. What does Theo reflect upon while sitting outside the woodshed as Miriam prepares Julian for her baby's delivery?
3. What are the threats Julian, Theo, and Miriam must confront once they are reunited after the robbery?
4. What does Helena tell Theo when he returns, and why does she want him off the phone?
5. What kind of Warden does Rolf say he would be? What is Theo's reaction?
6. How does Theo regard his feelings towards the person he meets at the market in Chapter 19? What does he decide he will do next?
7. How does Theo choose the house he robs and how does he gain entry?
8. Why does Theo take Miriam inside to Jasper's, and not to Rolf?
9. How does Theo treat the old couple? Give examples.
10. What happens after the baby is born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Infertility is a terrifying thought, and obviously the main theme of the book. What do you see now in our society that the author could have been inspired by to write of this subject? In other words, what is the infertility that is the subject of the book symbolic of in our culture? Use examples from the book to support the claims that you make.
Essay Topic 2
The role of the elderly is a major theme in the book. Discuss this role, and what it says about our society. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
The story is split into two different books. Compare and contrast the speed, moods, tones, themes, actions, and growth of the characters between Book One and Book Two.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)