|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Miriam found in the car in Chapter 26?
2. What does Theo do first after arriving home from Europe?
3. What does Theo expect Miriam to ask him as he leaves her for the village?
4. Who goes into the house with Theo?
5. "We can't risk some fool stopping and offering to help." Who says this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of Warden does Rolf say he would be? What is Theo's reaction?
2. Describe the burial in Chapter 28.
3. What happens after the baby is born?
4. What do Theo and Rolf discuss the morning after the car is pulled over? Do they seem to bond or argue?
5. What does Miriam inform Theo of in the car, and what is his reaction? Who knows and who doesn't know the secret?
6. How does Theo choose the house he robs and how does he gain entry?
7. What do Theo, Miriam, and Julian learn when they listen to the radio?
8. What does Theo write in his diary about the Five Fishes as he discusses the day of relaxation before they depart for Wales?
9. Why does Theo take Miriam inside to Jasper's, and not to Rolf?
10. How does Rolf say he can "use" Theo? How does Theo respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of the elderly is a major theme in the book. Discuss this role, and what it says about our society. Use examples from the book to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters are obvious symbolic representations of ideas, viewpoints, and people in real life. Discuss the symbolism of the characters: who they are, and who or what they represent. Does this symbolic branding restrain their behavior? In other words, do they act a certain way only because of their underlying meaning? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
There are many interesting characters in this book, and the events that unfold lead them to grow tremendously. Pick two and discuss their growth. Who has grown the most, and in what ways? How do the events of the book affect them personally? You may also write about how you think certain characters did not grow.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)