|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Theo's concern in Chapter 25?
2. Who does Theo imagine Rolf will go to first after he deserts his wife?
3. Who is afraid of another attack on the way out of the woods?
4. Who says this quote in Chapter 29: "He has thought; now he's gone."?
5. How is Chapter 26 written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Theo's nightmares about after his return home from traveling?
2. What happens as Theo and Rolf tend to the car in Chapter 24?
3. How is Rolf distanced from the group throughout the burial and after?
4. What happens after the baby is born?
5. How does the book end?
6. How does Theo choose the house he robs and how does he gain entry?
7. How does Theo plan for Julian to escape the attackers? Does the plan work? What is unsuccessful?
8. How do Theo and the Five Fishes get delayed in Chapter 24?
9. How does Theo treat the old couple? Give examples.
10. Why does Theo take Miriam inside to Jasper's, and not to Rolf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters are obvious symbolic representations of ideas, viewpoints, and people in real life. Discuss the symbolism of the characters: who they are, and who or what they represent. Does this symbolic branding restrain their behavior? In other words, do they act a certain way only because of their underlying meaning? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Struggle for power is a theme that often appears in the book. Discuss the characters who maintain this struggle, and what they wound up achieving as a result. Feel free to compare to examples of this you see in life as well.
Essay Topic 3
The author describes the Omega generation almost as a master race of sorts. How does this strike you? What is the symbolism in nature creating a "perfect generation" as her last? What would you think a perfect generation to be? How are the personality traits of the Omega similar to young people in our own society?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)