|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Xan went to the home he grew up in?
2. When Miriam buries her brother's ashes, what does she say?
3. The position of Warden of England has officially replaced which other title?
4. What is Theo's job with Xan?
5. Where is Digby from?
Short Essay Questions
1. In their private conversation after the meeting, how does Xan describe his authority to Theo?
2. What does Theo find in his mail two weeks after meeting Julian to discuss his meeting with Xan? What is his opinion of it?
3. Though he eventually is asked over, for what event is Theo not invited to the home of Helena and her new husband?
4. How does Theo recollect his relationship with Xan?
5. What is the Chief Inspector alluding to when he mentions his niece seeing Theo talk at Oxford University, and how does he do this?
6. What is Xan's underlying message to Theo in their conversation in Chapter 13?
7. Does Theo immediately realize that he wishes to help the Five Fishes while witnessing the Quietus?
8. Describe the priest and the conversation Theo has with him in Chapter 8.
9. Describe the Omegas.
10. After his visit from the State Security Police, how does Theo wish to help the Five Fishes? What are the problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many interesting characters in this book, and the events that unfold lead them to grow tremendously. Pick two and discuss their growth. Who has grown the most, and in what ways? How do the events of the book affect them personally? You may also write about how you think certain characters did not grow.
Essay Topic 2
The Five Fishes were a group of people with idealistic and romantic goals and beliefs. First, discuss the goals that this group was eager to achieve. Then, discuss what the changes in policy would have meant for the made-up society in the book's location of England. In other words, discuss what you think these changes that the Five Fishes wanted could have been symbolic of in our Western culture.
Essay Topic 3
The author used foreshadowing many times throughout the course of the novel. Discuss some of the instances in which this technique was used, and how it added to the narrative. Can you recollect any events that are not foreshadowed that you feel would have added to the story if they were? Discuss.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)