|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest demand that Theo leave the church before eleven?
2. Why does Theo believe the old women have been drugged?
3. Where is Jasper considering moving to?
4. Xan and Theo salute which historical moment on the bridge near Xan's home?
5. How does Theo know Jasper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the memories of Theo's daughter and father different? How are they similar?
2. Describe the Omegas.
3. In what ways is Xan's power displayed in Chapter eleven?
4. Does Theo have pleasant memories of his original trip to Blythburgh with his family? Why is it then ironic that he is there the second time?
5. What is the Chief Inspector alluding to when he mentions his niece seeing Theo talk at Oxford University, and how does he do this?
6. What does Miriam say has happened to her brother?
7. What is the Coronation Ring and why is Theo unhappy with Xan for wearing it?
8. How does Theo recollect his relationship with Xan?
9. Who are the flagellants in the park and what do they represent of society?
10. Describe the role of Woolcombe in shaping Theo's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The British setting of the book largely affects the characters' traits and many of the societal themes. What have you learned about British culture by reading the book? How is it similar and how is it different from your own culture? What do you think would have been different if this were a book written by an author in your own country? British students can discuss what they would imagine would have been different should the book have been of another nation's writing.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters are obvious symbolic representations of ideas, viewpoints, and people in real life. Discuss the symbolism of the characters: who they are, and who or what they represent. Does this symbolic branding restrain their behavior? In other words, do they act a certain way only because of their underlying meaning? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing techniques used by the author. Which are the most striking to you that make the book stand out? Which techniques help with the ability of the narrative to remain suspenseful and dark? Which, overall, are the major goals of the author?
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)