|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luke use as an altar when he holds a private religious service with Julian?
(a) He didn't have one.
(b) A tin box.
(c) A tree stump.
(d) A suitcase.
2. How does Theo describe the hotel in Ravello?
(a) Expensive, half-empty.
(b) Surprisingly bustling.
(c) Large and anonymous.
(d) Clean with delicious food.
3. What word does Rolf use to say that Theo is not the leader of this?
4. How is his home when Theo returns from his travels?
(a) Ransacked by the SSP.
(b) Eerily different.
(c) Dutifully tended to by his maid, Mrs. Kavanagh.
(d) Unkept, filled with sour air.
5. How does Julian respond to the news of the SSP?
(a) She suggests that Theo leave town.
(b) She is concerned they are being watched.
(c) She says they have been to her, too.
(d) She is not concerned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Theo see Julian in Chapter 19?
2. What is Theo's concern in Chapter 25?
3. What does Theo and the remainder of the Five Fishes do at the end of Chapter 28?
4. What does Woolvington do in the woodshed?
5. Why does Helena hurry off the phone when Theo calls her upon arriving home from traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Rolf after Theo awakes after Luke's burial? What does Theo expect he is doing and what is his response?
2. What does Helena tell Theo when he returns, and why does she want him off the phone?
3. Summarize the confrontation between Xan and Theo.
4. What does Miriam inform Theo of in the car, and what is his reaction? Who knows and who doesn't know the secret?
5. What does Theo reflect upon while sitting outside the woodshed as Miriam prepares Julian for her baby's delivery?
6. How does Theo treat the old couple? Give examples.
7. What happens after the baby is born?
8. How does the book end?
9. How is Rolf distanced from the group throughout the burial and after?
10. What are Theo's nightmares about after his return home from traveling?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)