|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Miriam buries her brother's ashes, what does she say?
(a) "What pain there is in being sent a loved one in the mail, burying them alone, and living to see they've died for nothing."
(b) "I remember that it was raining and when I poured the white grit into the hole it was as if the whole garden was crying."
(c) "He had died for this nation's paranoia, this unnerving fear of what isn't. You must help us, Theo."
(d) "Pouring the ashes into ground, watching them collapse upon another... it was how I knew what I must do."
2. How does Theo's father die?
(b) He was murdered.
(c) Heart attack.
3. Why does the priest demand that Theo leave the church before eleven?
(a) There is a christening.
(b) There is a wedding.
(c) There is a funeral.
(d) There is a mass.
4. What does the Baronet buy Theo?
(a) New shoes.
(b) A dog.
(c) A bike.
(d) A computer.
5. What is Theo's purpose for keeping a diary?
(a) Simply to pass the time.
(b) It's a self-exploring, emotional release.
(c) To recount his life for whomever may find the book.
(d) To log the second half of his life's memories for his own enjoyment later.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theo regret of himself in the last sentence of Chapter 15?
2. How long has it been since Xan went to the home he grew up in?
3. What does the Church of England replace the sign of the cross with?
4. Who does Theo recognize struggling near the ocean?
5. What is Theo's opinion of the Chief Inspector at the end of Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Theo try to sway Julian away from her plans, and how does she defend her motives?
2. What is the Chief Inspector alluding to when he mentions his niece seeing Theo talk at Oxford University, and how does he do this?
3. Summarize the meeting of Theo and the Council in Chapter 12.
4. In their private conversation after the meeting, how does Xan describe his authority to Theo?
5. Describe the role of Woolcombe in shaping Theo's character.
6. What day does Theo receive his invitation to Helena's home? How does he feel towards her new life?
7. How does Theo think Xan will respond to the notice from the Five Fishes? If Theo never leaves the Council, could he be more help to Julian?
8. How does Theo recollect his relationship with Xan?
9. How are the memories of Theo's daughter and father different? How are they similar?
10. How have you seen Theo change since the beginning of the book as he leaves the note at the Cast Museum saying he will help the Five Fishes?
This section contains 1,599 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)