|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Theo's purpose for keeping a diary?
(a) To recount his life for whomever may find the book.
(b) Simply to pass the time.
(c) To log the second half of his life's memories for his own enjoyment later.
(d) It's a self-exploring, emotional release.
2. Who is Theo meeting in Chapter 14?
3. What is Theo's old driver's name?
4. How does the driver describe the flagellants?
(a) "A group adding nothing more than insult to injury."
(b) "A horde of vile beasts unworthy of breath."
(c) "An obnoxious reminder to our fate."
(d) "A rabble of no-hopers."
5. How long has it been since Xan went to the home he grew up in?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theo do with the Five Fishes' pamphlet?
2. What is Xan's home in Dorset called?
3. What display of the museum has Xan always preferred?
4. What are Theo's thoughts towards England holding a general election?
5. "I never understood Dr. Faron's precise function when he was Warden's Adviser and it hasn't become clearer with his absence and the passing of three years." Who says this?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Theo think Xan will respond to the notice from the Five Fishes? If Theo never leaves the Council, could he be more help to Julian?
2. What day does Theo receive his invitation to Helena's home? How does he feel towards her new life?
3. What is the Coronation Ring and why is Theo unhappy with Xan for wearing it?
4. Does Theo have pleasant memories of his original trip to Blythburgh with his family? Why is it then ironic that he is there the second time?
5. Why do you think Theo is repulsed so much by the Quietus, even though it seems to be his society's norm?
6. Describe the priest and the conversation Theo has with him in Chapter 8.
7. What is the Chief Inspector alluding to when he mentions his niece seeing Theo talk at Oxford University, and how does he do this?
8. Describe the Omegas.
9. What does Miriam say has happened to her brother?
10. What does the Chief Inspector share of the Five Fishes when he visits Theo? What do both men know Theo is lying about?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)