|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Helena's opinion of the Sojourners that she talks about in Chapter 16?
(a) There should be stronger mandates as to how many are allowed in the country.
(b) They shouldn't be completely liberated, but perhaps given better pay and rights.
(c) They should be free as any other citizen.
(d) They are lucky to be here, and no one's forced them to come.
2. How does Theo describe the destruction of ramps at the Quietus to the Chief Inspector?
(a) A disrespectful debacle.
(b) Inappropriate, but commendable.
(c) An irritating inconvenience.
(d) Merely a shame.
3. Which is not a demand of the Five Fishes as printed on their pamphlet?
(a) Provide meals for the homeless.
(b) End the Quietus.
(c) End fertility testing.
(d) Liberate the Isle of Man.
4. Where does Xan take Theo to walk after their meeting?
(a) The courtyard.
(b) A promenade.
(c) The park.
(d) Along the river.
5. On what anniversary that Helena seems ignorant of does she call Theo on the phone?
(a) Thirty years since they married.
(b) Twenty-seven years since their daughter died.
(c) One year since she left him.
(d) One year since his mother died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the legal requirements regarding newborn domestic animals?
2. Who introduces Theo to the museum in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Theo believe the old women have been drugged?
4. What are Theo's thoughts towards England holding a general election?
5. Why does Theo believe that Helena speaks poorly of him to Rupert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Theo's concerns that he writes about in his diary after his visit from the State Security Police.
2. What does Miriam say has happened to her brother?
3. What day does Theo receive his invitation to Helena's home? How does he feel towards her new life?
4. How have you seen Theo change since the beginning of the book as he leaves the note at the Cast Museum saying he will help the Five Fishes?
5. Does Theo have pleasant memories of his original trip to Blythburgh with his family? Why is it then ironic that he is there the second time?
6. What is Xan's underlying message to Theo in their conversation in Chapter 13?
7. Summarize the meeting of Theo and the Council in Chapter 12.
8. Who are the flagellants in the park and what do they represent of society?
9. Describe the priest and the conversation Theo has with him in Chapter 8.
10. How does Theo recollect his relationship with Xan?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)