|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Theo learn that Rolf has departed upon awakening after the burial of Luke?
(a) Miriam tells him.
(b) Julian tells him.
(c) He was the first to notice.
(d) He dreamt it and then woke to see it had happened.
2. What catastrophe occurs immediately following the birth?
(a) Theo spills the only water.
(b) Miriam drops the baby.
(c) Julian loses a large amount of blood.
(d) A snake slithers into the shed.
3. How does Theo regard Miriam's midwifery?
(a) Never believed she was good.
(b) He respects her mystical abilities.
(c) Was probably once talented, but has lost her abilities over twenty-five years.
(d) Annoyed she won't stop using technological terms.
4. What helps Theo find Julian and Miriam as he drives the stolen car to reunite with them?
(a) A strangely formed tree he remembered noticing.
(b) Miriam tied a red ribbon around a tree.
(c) Tire marks.
(d) Luke's blood.
5. How much time does Theo initially think he has before Rolf gets to his destination?
(a) A few days.
(b) One day.
(c) Five hours.
(d) Twelve hours.
6. What frightens Theo and the women as they walk to find the woodshed?
(a) A helicopter.
(b) A bear.
(c) A person standing at the lake.
(d) Fresh footprints.
7. Why does Helena hurry off the phone when Theo calls her upon arriving home from traveling?
(a) She is cooking dinner.
(b) She is expecting a call.
(c) Rupert wishes for Helena not to speak with Theo.
(d) Someone has company.
8. What is the mood of the characters in Chapter 26?
9. Which of the Five Fishes does Theo learn has been kidnapped from the person at the door?
10. What does Rolf not do at the end of Chapter 24 that Theo expects?
(a) Argue with Julian.
(b) Insist they leave immediately.
(c) Explode with anger.
(d) Insult him.
11. Why doesn't Theo rob the first houses he sees?
(a) He is sure they are heavily guarded.
(b) The neighborhood is very well-lit.
(c) He has an instinct to go further into the town.
(d) Too many neighbors.
12. What does Theo expect Miriam to ask him as he leaves her for the village?
(a) How long he will be gone.
(b) Where they should hide.
(c) How would he get a car?
(d) How she should be expected to deliver the baby now.
13. What does Woolvington do in the woodshed?
(b) Stands at Julian's head, on guard.
(c) Hugs Theo.
(d) Tries to take the baby from Julian's grasp.
14. Who says the burial service over Luke?
15. After Xan finds Theo and Julian, what does he tell Theo he will do with Julian?
(a) Arrest her.
(b) Keep the baby, send her abroad.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Kill her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city does Theo not mention visiting during his holiday?
2. What does Theo do first after arriving home from Europe?
3. Who has knocked at Theo's door in Chapter 21?
4. As Miriam lodges concern over the speed of the car in Chapter 24, how is Julian behaving?
5. Why is Theo cold in the final paragraph of Chapter 21?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)