|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Theo pull the car over in Chapter 23?
(a) Julian had to go to the bathroom.
(b) The car overheated.
(c) They wanted to pick berries for later.
(d) Julian thought she was going into labor.
2. What does Theo say he is absolute of as he closes his diary entry in Chapter 26?
(a) Being found by Xan.
(b) Marrying Julian.
(c) The safe delivery of the baby.
(d) Dangers and horrors to come.
3. What is the old couple doing when Theo knocks on their door?
(a) Watching television.
(b) The woman was on the phone, the man was napping.
(c) Eating dinner.
4. What is the mood of the characters in Chapter 26?
5. What language does Theo find a note in?
6. Who goes into the house with Theo?
7. How does Theo regard Miriam's midwifery?
(a) Annoyed she won't stop using technological terms.
(b) Was probably once talented, but has lost her abilities over twenty-five years.
(c) He respects her mystical abilities.
(d) Never believed she was good.
8. Who are Rolf's political views most similar to?
(b) Rosie McClure.
9. What does Theo silently suggest Julian's baby should be?
(a) Beautiful in every way.
(c) Grossly deformed.
(d) A demon.
10. What is Theo's concern in Chapter 25?
(a) They are likely to be seen if separated.
(b) They will run out of food.
(c) Julian will have the baby early.
(d) The car will get stolen.
11. How is his home when Theo returns from his travels?
(a) Eerily different.
(b) Unkept, filled with sour air.
(c) Dutifully tended to by his maid, Mrs. Kavanagh.
(d) Ransacked by the SSP.
12. What promise does Theo leave Julian with after he tells her of the SSP's visit?
(a) He will talk to Xan again.
(b) He will faithfully come if ever sent for.
(c) The Five Fishes may use his country home for safety.
(d) He will not rest until the Five Fishes' goals are met.
13. Who has knocked at Theo's door in Chapter 21?
14. What is Julian concerned of as she watches the final placement of Luke's body?
(a) The SSP will find the body and be on their trail.
(b) She thought Rolf should be left in the consecrated ground.
(c) Luke hadn't confessed his sins.
(d) Animals will get to his body if not buried deep enough.
15. As Miriam lodges concern over the speed of the car in Chapter 24, how is Julian behaving?
(c) In pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Theo know what to say while christening the baby?
2. How long has it been since Miriam left the woodshed in the final chapter?
3. What does Julian want Theo to leave behind while he journeys to the village?
4. What do Theo and Julian feed one another in the woodshed?
5. Who says this quote in Chapter 29: "He has thought; now he's gone."?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)