|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Theo's thoughts towards England holding a general election?
(a) He thinks it would be disruptive and Xan would win anyway.
(b) He would like to run against his cousin.
(c) He agrees with the Five Fishes, and hopes to see Xan lose.
(d) He doesn't bother to care about things like that.
2. In Chapter 12, who else is at the meeting with Xan that Theo thought would be private?
(a) The Five Fishes.
(b) The Council.
(c) State Security Police.
(d) Army officers.
3. On what anniversary that Helena seems ignorant of does she call Theo on the phone?
(a) Twenty-seven years since their daughter died.
(b) One year since his mother died.
(c) Thirty years since they married.
(d) One year since she left him.
4. How does the Chief Inspector respond when Theo insists that the search of his home begin promptly?
(a) He leaves the room to make a call.
(b) He obliges and sends Cathcart to begin.
(c) He questions why Theo would assume he was being searched.
(d) He is annoyed by Theo's assertiveness, and searches the home himself.
5. Why is Digby afraid of Theo?
(a) He thinks he recognizes him as someone who attacked him in the street.
(b) He fears he will alert the state that he needs to be taken to the Quietus.
(c) Theo threatened him.
(d) He is crazy.
6. What does Theo's mother do for extra money during his youth?
(a) Give piano lessons.
(c) Replicate prints.
(d) Tutor French.
7. What does Theo decide with regards to trying to contact the Five Fishes at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) He must only wait.
(b) He will search the university's past records to find Julian's contact information.
(c) He is awaiting the location of his next meeting with Julian.
(d) He will search for one of them, he just doesn't know who yet.
8. What does Theo expect in the near future as he contemplates his meeting with the SSP?
(a) He thinks Xan will tap his house and phone lines.
(b) The SSP will immediately inform the Council of their opinion, and Theo expects a subpoena.
(c) He is positive the SSP have the Five Fishes, and their assassination is imminent.
(d) The SSP will visit again, and will behave far less amicably .
9. Who introduces Theo to the museum in Chapter 10?
(c) His favorite professor.
(d) His mother.
10. How many times does Theo lie to the State Security Police when they visit him?
(a) Five times.
(d) He didn't.
11. What do Theo and his wife do shortly after the death of their daughter?
(b) Move closer to the city.
(c) Quit their jobs.
(d) Have a son.
12. Who are the Grenadiers?
(a) A band.
(b) Serial killers.
(c) Xan's private army.
13. What is Theo's opinion of the Chief Inspector at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) A respectable administer of order, unusual for the times.
(b) An aging and foul-smelling, wishful hero who missed his chance.
(c) A coward, fulfilling his need for pre-measured authority.
(d) A terrifying bureaucrat capable of unspeakable evil.
14. What about Oxford does Theo now have trouble accepting as he walks through the streets after his meeting with Xan?
(a) The streams of porn shops.
(b) Lack of intellectual energy.
(d) The Omega's snobbery.
15. How does Theo's father die?
(b) Heart attack.
(c) He was murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Five Fishes' pamphlet addressed to?
2. What does the Church of England replace the sign of the cross with?
3. Where is Digby from?
4. What reoccurring nightmare does Theo have of his father?
5. What does Theo eat at the inn?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)