|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Xan take Theo to walk after their meeting?
(a) The courtyard.
(b) The park.
(c) A promenade.
(d) Along the river.
2. Finish the quote. "If we are dying we can die as human beings, not as _____."
3. What does Theo regret of himself in the last sentence of Chapter 15?
(a) He misses having a family.
(b) He wishes Julian loved him.
(c) He wishes he had the group's passion.
(d) He regrets leaving his job with Xan.
4. Xan's large home becomes what in later years?
(a) A school.
(b) A nursing home.
(c) A church.
(d) A mental hospital.
5. Why is Digby afraid of Theo?
(a) He thinks he recognizes him as someone who attacked him in the street.
(b) He fears he will alert the state that he needs to be taken to the Quietus.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) Theo threatened him.
6. What are Sojourners?
(a) Gypsies that rob the elderly.
(b) Religious preachers who promise damnation.
(c) Omegas from other countries paid to do servant's work.
(d) Violent women disillusioned about their infertility.
7. What two part-time jobs does Theo accept as part of his cousin's plan?
(a) In a hospital and doing house maintenance.
(b) In an attorney's office and police dispatching.
(c) In a library and on a neighboring farm.
(d) Giving museum tours and fixing cars.
8. How does the Chief Inspector respond when Theo insists that the search of his home begin promptly?
(a) He is annoyed by Theo's assertiveness, and searches the home himself.
(b) He obliges and sends Cathcart to begin.
(c) He leaves the room to make a call.
(d) He questions why Theo would assume he was being searched.
9. In Chapter 12, who else is at the meeting with Xan that Theo thought would be private?
(a) The Five Fishes.
(b) Army officers.
(c) State Security Police.
(d) The Council.
10. How does the author describe the drawing on the Five Fishes' pamphlet that Theo has been delivered?
11. Who introduces Theo to the museum in Chapter 10?
(b) His favorite professor.
(d) His mother.
12. Who does Theo recognize struggling near the ocean?
(a) Xan's mother.
(c) His mother.
13. Who points out Felicia's making money out of the former system of criminal prosecution?
14. What secret of his father does Xan reveal to Theo while they walk in the park?
(a) He kept mistresses.
(b) He was a criminal.
(c) He was gay.
(d) He was a drug addict.
15. What is Theo's purpose for keeping a diary?
(a) It's a self-exploring, emotional release.
(b) Simply to pass the time.
(c) To recount his life for whomever may find the book.
(d) To log the second half of his life's memories for his own enjoyment later.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on Hilda's cardigan when Theo visits her home?
2. Where does Theo go in Oxford in Chapter 14?
3. Why are more and more people moving into cities?
4. What are the legal requirements regarding newborn domestic animals?
5. Xan and Theo are both named after whom?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)