|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Xan's home in Dorset called?
2. What about Oxford does Theo now have trouble accepting as he walks through the streets after his meeting with Xan?
(a) Lack of intellectual energy.
(c) The Omega's snobbery.
(d) The streams of porn shops.
3. Who is the last character to speak in Chapter 12?
(b) The Grenadier.
4. Who beat themselves for the sin of mankind?
(b) Youth groups.
5. What is Julian's most notable physical feature?
(a) A disfigured hand.
(b) She's missing a thumb.
(c) Bright blue eyes.
(d) Thick eyebrows.
6. What does the Baronet buy Theo?
(a) A bike.
(b) New shoes.
(c) A dog.
(d) A computer.
7. In Chapter 12, who else is at the meeting with Xan that Theo thought would be private?
(a) The Five Fishes.
(b) Army officers.
(c) The Council.
(d) State Security Police.
8. Where does Xan take Theo to walk after their meeting?
(a) Along the river.
(b) A promenade.
(c) The courtyard.
(d) The park.
9. Who does Theo's wife leave him for?
(a) A Polish playwright.
(b) The neighbor who saw Theo run over their daughter.
(c) A poster and dust jacket designer.
(d) A children's doctor.
10. Who attacks Theo at the Quietus he witnesses?
(a) A soldier.
(b) Someone he tries to stop from committing suicide.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A Sojourner.
11. What does Theo's mother do for extra money during his youth?
(a) Give piano lessons.
(b) Tutor French.
(c) Replicate prints.
12. What does Theo still refuse to believe about Xan after he has met with him for the first time in years?
(a) He is evil.
(b) He is unloved.
(c) He likes the idea of the Man Penal Colony.
(d) He has become religious.
13. Who is the Five Fishes' pamphlet addressed to?
(a) To those concerned with injustice.
(b) To the citizens of the world.
(c) To Xan Lyppiatt and the Council of England.
(d) To the people of Britain.
14. What museum does Chapter 10 center around?
(a) The Art Museum.
(b) The Cast Museum.
(c) The Archaeology Museum.
(d) The Wax Museum.
15. What two part-time jobs does Theo accept as part of his cousin's plan?
(a) In a hospital and doing house maintenance.
(b) Giving museum tours and fixing cars.
(c) In a library and on a neighboring farm.
(d) In an attorney's office and police dispatching.
Short Answer Questions
1. "I wouldn't say the Tudor age was uniquely cruel... They died young in those days. Every age has its cruelties." Who says this?
2. What is Theo's job with Xan?
3. How does the driver describe the flagellants?
4. On what anniversary that Helena seems ignorant of does she call Theo on the phone?
5. Where is Digby from?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)