|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Theo is frustrated during his conversation in Chapter 14, what does the author say he wishes to do?
(a) Pray for mercy.
(b) Jump into traffic.
(c) Bang his head.
(d) Fall to the ground.
2. "I never understood Dr. Faron's precise function when he was Warden's Adviser and it hasn't become clearer with his absence and the passing of three years." Who says this?
3. What does the Baronet buy Theo?
(a) A computer.
(b) A bike.
(c) A dog.
(d) New shoes.
4. Where is Digby from?
5. What does Theo regret of himself in the last sentence of Chapter 15?
(a) He wishes he had the group's passion.
(b) He regrets leaving his job with Xan.
(c) He misses having a family.
(d) He wishes Julian loved him.
6. What does Theo expect in the near future as he contemplates his meeting with the SSP?
(a) He thinks Xan will tap his house and phone lines.
(b) The SSP will immediately inform the Council of their opinion, and Theo expects a subpoena.
(c) The SSP will visit again, and will behave far less amicably .
(d) He is positive the SSP have the Five Fishes, and their assassination is imminent.
7. How does Theo know Jasper?
(a) He was his daughter's godfather.
(b) He was his old professor.
(c) They studied at university together.
(d) He used to play with Theo and Xan.
8. "I wouldn't say the Tudor age was uniquely cruel... They died young in those days. Every age has its cruelties." Who says this?
(b) The Chief Inspector.
(d) Oliver Cathcart.
9. How many times does Theo lie to the State Security Police when they visit him?
(c) He didn't.
(d) Five times.
10. What are Sojourners?
(a) Omegas from other countries paid to do servant's work.
(b) Religious preachers who promise damnation.
(c) Violent women disillusioned about their infertility.
(d) Gypsies that rob the elderly.
11. Why does Theo believe that Helena speaks poorly of him to Rupert?
(a) He regrets being verbally abusive to her in the past, and she is very vocal about it now.
(b) He hadn't seen her exercise better control of herself with any other subject.
(c) Rupert gives him uncomfortable glances whenever they meet.
(d) A mutual friend has told him that she does so.
12. Who introduces Theo to the museum in Chapter 10?
(a) His favorite professor.
(c) His mother.
13. What is Julian's most notable physical feature?
(a) Thick eyebrows.
(b) Bright blue eyes.
(c) She's missing a thumb.
(d) A disfigured hand.
14. Where is Theo's bedroom in Xan's home?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In the servant's quarters.
(c) Next to Xan's.
(d) He shares a room with Xan.
15. How does the author describe the drawing on the Five Fishes' pamphlet that Theo has been delivered?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Theo recognize struggling near the ocean?
2. On what anniversary that Helena seems ignorant of does she call Theo on the phone?
3. What is the first of the Five Fishes' concerns that Theo speaks of at the meeting in Chapter 12?
4. What does the Church of England replace the sign of the cross with?
5. What is Helena's opinion of the Sojourners that she talks about in Chapter 16?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)