|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Theo and his wife do shortly after the death of their daughter?
(a) Move closer to the city.
(c) Quit their jobs.
(d) Have a son.
2. Why does Theo come to the museum in the first place?
(a) He misses his childhood days with Xan.
(b) He wants to reconnect with the memories of his daughter.
(c) To leave his response for the Five Fishes.
(d) To meet Julian.
3. Who are the Grenadiers?
(a) A band.
(c) Serial killers.
(d) Xan's private army.
4. How many times does Theo lie to the State Security Police when they visit him?
(a) Five times.
(b) He didn't.
5. What does Theo still refuse to believe about Xan after he has met with him for the first time in years?
(a) He has become religious.
(b) He is unloved.
(c) He is evil.
(d) He likes the idea of the Man Penal Colony.
6. Where is Theo's bedroom in Xan's home?
(a) He shares a room with Xan.
(b) In the basement.
(c) Next to Xan's.
(d) In the servant's quarters.
7. Why are more and more people moving into cities?
(a) Company and services.
(b) The only jobs left are in the cities.
(c) Cheaper housing, as rural areas become expensive to maintain.
(d) Fear of gypsies in the country.
8. Finish the quote. "If we are dying we can die as human beings, not as _____."
9. In Chapter 12, who else is at the meeting with Xan that Theo thought would be private?
(a) The Council.
(b) The Five Fishes.
(c) State Security Police.
(d) Army officers.
10. Who is the Five Fishes' pamphlet addressed to?
(a) To those concerned with injustice.
(b) To the citizens of the world.
(c) To the people of Britain.
(d) To Xan Lyppiatt and the Council of England.
11. Why is Digby afraid of Theo?
(a) He is crazy.
(b) Theo threatened him.
(c) He thinks he recognizes him as someone who attacked him in the street.
(d) He fears he will alert the state that he needs to be taken to the Quietus.
12. On what anniversary that Helena seems ignorant of does she call Theo on the phone?
(a) One year since she left him.
(b) One year since his mother died.
(c) Twenty-seven years since their daughter died.
(d) Thirty years since they married.
13. "I never understood Dr. Faron's precise function when he was Warden's Adviser and it hasn't become clearer with his absence and the passing of three years." Who says this?
14. Who points out Felicia's making money out of the former system of criminal prosecution?
15. What are Sojourners?
(a) Religious preachers who promise damnation.
(b) Gypsies that rob the elderly.
(c) Violent women disillusioned about their infertility.
(d) Omegas from other countries paid to do servant's work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Julian's most notable physical feature?
2. What are the legal requirements regarding newborn domestic animals?
3. Which is not a demand of the Five Fishes as printed on their pamphlet?
4. Who beat themselves for the sin of mankind?
5. How long ago does Theo leave his job with Xan?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)