|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is not a demand of the Five Fishes as printed on their pamphlet?
(a) Liberate the Isle of Man.
(b) End the Quietus.
(c) End fertility testing.
(d) Provide meals for the homeless.
2. Where is Theo meeting Xan on behalf of the Five Fishes in Chapter 11?
(b) Windsor Castle.
(c) The university.
(d) Xan's old home.
3. On what anniversary that Helena seems ignorant of does she call Theo on the phone?
(a) One year since his mother died.
(b) One year since she left him.
(c) Twenty-seven years since their daughter died.
(d) Thirty years since they married.
4. Xan's large home becomes what in later years?
(a) A school.
(b) A church.
(c) A mental hospital.
(d) A nursing home.
5. In Chapter 12, who else is at the meeting with Xan that Theo thought would be private?
(a) The Five Fishes.
(b) State Security Police.
(c) The Council.
(d) Army officers.
6. What is Julian's most notable physical feature?
(a) Thick eyebrows.
(b) A disfigured hand.
(c) Bright blue eyes.
(d) She's missing a thumb.
7. What does Theo expect in the near future as he contemplates his meeting with the SSP?
(a) The SSP will immediately inform the Council of their opinion, and Theo expects a subpoena.
(b) He is positive the SSP have the Five Fishes, and their assassination is imminent.
(c) He thinks Xan will tap his house and phone lines.
(d) The SSP will visit again, and will behave far less amicably .
8. Who beat themselves for the sin of mankind?
(a) Youth groups.
9. What does Theo decide with regards to trying to contact the Five Fishes at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) He is awaiting the location of his next meeting with Julian.
(b) He will search for one of them, he just doesn't know who yet.
(c) He must only wait.
(d) He will search the university's past records to find Julian's contact information.
10. When Miriam buries her brother's ashes, what does she say?
(a) "Pouring the ashes into ground, watching them collapse upon another... it was how I knew what I must do."
(b) "I remember that it was raining and when I poured the white grit into the hole it was as if the whole garden was crying."
(c) "What pain there is in being sent a loved one in the mail, burying them alone, and living to see they've died for nothing."
(d) "He had died for this nation's paranoia, this unnerving fear of what isn't. You must help us, Theo."
11. How long ago does Theo leave his job with Xan?
(a) Five years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
12. How does the author describe the drawing on the Five Fishes' pamphlet that Theo has been delivered?
13. "I wouldn't say the Tudor age was uniquely cruel... They died young in those days. Every age has its cruelties." Who says this?
(c) Oliver Cathcart.
(d) The Chief Inspector.
14. What is on Hilda's cardigan when Theo visits her home?
(a) Congealed food.
(c) A pin of a newborn.
(d) A crucifix.
15. Who points out Felicia's making money out of the former system of criminal prosecution?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Xan went to the home he grew up in?
2. Xan and Theo are both named after whom?
3. Why are more and more people moving into cities?
4. How does the driver describe the flagellants?
5. Which word does the author NOT use to describe the Omega officer who visits Theo's home?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)