|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Xan's home in Dorset called?
2. What does Theo still refuse to believe about Xan after he has met with him for the first time in years?
(a) He is evil.
(b) He likes the idea of the Man Penal Colony.
(c) He is unloved.
(d) He has become religious.
3. After his thoughts swirl from the visit of the SSP and then the Five Fishes, what does Theo ponder next in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 12, who else is at the meeting with Xan that Theo thought would be private?
(a) The Council.
(b) State Security Police.
(c) The Five Fishes.
(d) Army officers.
5. What is Helena's opinion of the Sojourners that she talks about in Chapter 16?
(a) They are lucky to be here, and no one's forced them to come.
(b) They should be free as any other citizen.
(c) There should be stronger mandates as to how many are allowed in the country.
(d) They shouldn't be completely liberated, but perhaps given better pay and rights.
6. How long ago does Theo leave his job with Xan?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
7. What does Theo regret of himself in the last sentence of Chapter 15?
(a) He regrets leaving his job with Xan.
(b) He wishes Julian loved him.
(c) He wishes he had the group's passion.
(d) He misses having a family.
8. What reoccurring nightmare does Theo have of his father?
(a) His father beating him.
(b) His father standing at the foot of Theo's bed with an infected stub finger.
(c) His father hanging by a noose.
(d) His father in excruciating pain on his deathbed.
9. Xan and Theo are both named after whom?
(c) Biblical figures.
10. When Theo is frustrated during his conversation in Chapter 14, what does the author say he wishes to do?
(a) Jump into traffic.
(b) Bang his head.
(c) Pray for mercy.
(d) Fall to the ground.
11. Why is Digby afraid of Theo?
(a) He fears he will alert the state that he needs to be taken to the Quietus.
(b) He is crazy.
(c) Theo threatened him.
(d) He thinks he recognizes him as someone who attacked him in the street.
12. Who beat themselves for the sin of mankind?
(a) Youth groups.
13. Whose sperm is tested as mandated by British law?
(a) Any man without a criminal record.
(b) All men.
(c) That of healthy and pre-selected men.
(d) University degree holding men.
14. Where does Theo go in Oxford in Chapter 14?
(a) The pub.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The museum.
(d) The library.
15. How does Theo describe the destruction of ramps at the Quietus to the Chief Inspector?
(a) A disrespectful debacle.
(b) Inappropriate, but commendable.
(c) Merely a shame.
(d) An irritating inconvenience.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom is there still law and order in England?
2. What do Theo and his wife do shortly after the death of their daughter?
3. "I wouldn't say the Tudor age was uniquely cruel... They died young in those days. Every age has its cruelties." Who says this?
4. Where is Theo meeting Xan on behalf of the Five Fishes in Chapter 11?
5. Where is Digby from?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)