|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Theo's purpose for keeping a diary?
(a) To log the second half of his life's memories for his own enjoyment later.
(b) It's a self-exploring, emotional release.
(c) To recount his life for whomever may find the book.
(d) Simply to pass the time.
2. What is Theo's opinion of the Chief Inspector at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) An aging and foul-smelling, wishful hero who missed his chance.
(b) A respectable administer of order, unusual for the times.
(c) A terrifying bureaucrat capable of unspeakable evil.
(d) A coward, fulfilling his need for pre-measured authority.
3. What does Theo's mother do for extra money during his youth?
(b) Give piano lessons.
(c) Tutor French.
(d) Replicate prints.
4. What two part-time jobs does Theo accept as part of his cousin's plan?
(a) In an attorney's office and police dispatching.
(b) In a library and on a neighboring farm.
(c) In a hospital and doing house maintenance.
(d) Giving museum tours and fixing cars.
5. What are Sojourners?
(a) Religious preachers who promise damnation.
(b) Violent women disillusioned about their infertility.
(c) Gypsies that rob the elderly.
(d) Omegas from other countries paid to do servant's work.
6. What is Theo's job with Xan?
(a) Minister for Justice and State Security.
(c) Minister of Historic Record.
7. Theo's birthday falls on what holiday?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) Guy Fox Day.
(d) Christmas Day.
8. How does Theo describe the destruction of ramps at the Quietus to the Chief Inspector?
(a) A disrespectful debacle.
(b) Merely a shame.
(c) An irritating inconvenience.
(d) Inappropriate, but commendable.
9. How does the author describe the drawing on the Five Fishes' pamphlet that Theo has been delivered?
10. Why is Helena accepted into Oxford University when she is young?
(a) She was a genius. Theo was jealous of her.
(b) She was a very talented artist and received a scholarship.
(c) Her father gave a large donation.
(d) Her father was well respected and she had expensive schooling growing up.
11. How does Theo know Jasper?
(a) He was his old professor.
(b) They studied at university together.
(c) He used to play with Theo and Xan.
(d) He was his daughter's godfather.
12. What importance is Theo's visit to the bed and breakfast?
(a) Theo and the owner are strongly attracted to one another.
(b) Theo learns of the truth behind what occurs at Blythburgh.
(c) He stops a robbery.
(d) The owner sees him as a sign from God.
13. Who are the Grenadiers?
(b) Serial killers.
(c) A band.
(d) Xan's private army.
14. Who is the Five Fishes' pamphlet addressed to?
(a) To the citizens of the world.
(b) To those concerned with injustice.
(c) To Xan Lyppiatt and the Council of England.
(d) To the people of Britain.
15. What are Theo's thoughts towards England holding a general election?
(a) He doesn't bother to care about things like that.
(b) He thinks it would be disruptive and Xan would win anyway.
(c) He agrees with the Five Fishes, and hopes to see Xan lose.
(d) He would like to run against his cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Theo meeting in Chapter 14?
2. Who is the last character to speak in Chapter 12?
3. What is Xan wearing when he surprises Theo at the car in Chapter 13?
4. What do Theo and his wife do shortly after the death of their daughter?
5. Which is not a demand of the Five Fishes as printed on their pamphlet?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)