|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Digby afraid of Theo?
(a) Theo threatened him.
(b) He fears he will alert the state that he needs to be taken to the Quietus.
(c) He thinks he recognizes him as someone who attacked him in the street.
(d) He is crazy.
2. Why does Theo believe that Helena speaks poorly of him to Rupert?
(a) He regrets being verbally abusive to her in the past, and she is very vocal about it now.
(b) He hadn't seen her exercise better control of herself with any other subject.
(c) Rupert gives him uncomfortable glances whenever they meet.
(d) A mutual friend has told him that she does so.
3. How does the author describe the drawing on the Five Fishes' pamphlet that Theo has been delivered?
4. "I wouldn't say the Tudor age was uniquely cruel... They died young in those days. Every age has its cruelties." Who says this?
(c) The Chief Inspector.
(d) Oliver Cathcart.
5. Who is Rolf?
(a) A priest.
(b) Julian's brother.
(c) Julian's husband.
(d) Theo's friend from college.
6. Finish the quote. "If we are dying we can die as human beings, not as _____."
7. Xan and Theo are both named after whom?
(c) Biblical figures.
8. What is Theo's opinion of the Chief Inspector at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) An aging and foul-smelling, wishful hero who missed his chance.
(b) A respectable administer of order, unusual for the times.
(c) A coward, fulfilling his need for pre-measured authority.
(d) A terrifying bureaucrat capable of unspeakable evil.
9. Who is Theo meeting in Chapter 14?
10. What is Helena's cat named?
11. Which is the Year Omega?
12. The position of Warden of England has officially replaced which other title?
(a) Prime Minister.
(b) Chancellor of Defense.
(c) Minister of State.
(d) King of England.
13. What is the first of the Five Fishes' concerns that Theo speaks of at the meeting in Chapter 12?
(a) The Isle of Man.
(b) An election.
(c) The Sojourners.
(d) The Quietus.
14. What is Julian's most notable physical feature?
(a) Thick eyebrows.
(b) She's missing a thumb.
(c) Bright blue eyes.
(d) A disfigured hand.
15. When Miriam buries her brother's ashes, what does she say?
(a) "I remember that it was raining and when I poured the white grit into the hole it was as if the whole garden was crying."
(b) "He had died for this nation's paranoia, this unnerving fear of what isn't. You must help us, Theo."
(c) "What pain there is in being sent a loved one in the mail, burying them alone, and living to see they've died for nothing."
(d) "Pouring the ashes into ground, watching them collapse upon another... it was how I knew what I must do."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Theo describe the destruction of ramps at the Quietus to the Chief Inspector?
2. What reoccurring nightmare does Theo have of his father?
3. What secret of his father does Xan reveal to Theo while they walk in the park?
4. Which word does the author NOT use to describe the Omega officer who visits Theo's home?
5. Why does Theo come to the museum in the first place?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)