|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Grenadiers?
(a) Xan's private army.
(c) A band.
(d) Serial killers.
2. How does the author describe the drawing on the Five Fishes' pamphlet that Theo has been delivered?
3. When Theo is frustrated during his conversation in Chapter 14, what does the author say he wishes to do?
(a) Jump into traffic.
(b) Pray for mercy.
(c) Fall to the ground.
(d) Bang his head.
4. Why does Theo believe the old women have been drugged?
(a) They attack one another.
(b) They twirl and dance.
(c) They sing children's songs.
(d) They speak in made-up languages.
5. Who attacks Theo at the Quietus he witnesses?
(a) A soldier.
(b) Someone he tries to stop from committing suicide.
(c) A Sojourner.
(d) A police officer.
6. What is Julian's most notable physical feature?
(a) Bright blue eyes.
(b) A disfigured hand.
(c) Thick eyebrows.
(d) She's missing a thumb.
7. What are Sojourners?
(a) Violent women disillusioned about their infertility.
(b) Omegas from other countries paid to do servant's work.
(c) Religious preachers who promise damnation.
(d) Gypsies that rob the elderly.
8. How does Theo know Jasper?
(a) He used to play with Theo and Xan.
(b) He was his daughter's godfather.
(c) He was his old professor.
(d) They studied at university together.
9. Why is Digby afraid of Theo?
(a) He fears he will alert the state that he needs to be taken to the Quietus.
(b) He thinks he recognizes him as someone who attacked him in the street.
(c) Theo threatened him.
(d) He is crazy.
10. What is on Hilda's cardigan when Theo visits her home?
(a) Congealed food.
(b) A crucifix.
(d) A pin of a newborn.
11. Who beat themselves for the sin of mankind?
(b) Youth groups.
12. What is Theo's opinion of the Chief Inspector at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) A coward, fulfilling his need for pre-measured authority.
(b) An aging and foul-smelling, wishful hero who missed his chance.
(c) A terrifying bureaucrat capable of unspeakable evil.
(d) A respectable administer of order, unusual for the times.
13. Why are more and more people moving into cities?
(a) Fear of gypsies in the country.
(b) Cheaper housing, as rural areas become expensive to maintain.
(c) The only jobs left are in the cities.
(d) Company and services.
14. Who does Theo's wife leave him for?
(a) A poster and dust jacket designer.
(b) The neighbor who saw Theo run over their daughter.
(c) A Polish playwright.
(d) A children's doctor.
15. What two part-time jobs does Theo accept as part of his cousin's plan?
(a) In a hospital and doing house maintenance.
(b) Giving museum tours and fixing cars.
(c) In a library and on a neighboring farm.
(d) In an attorney's office and police dispatching.
Short Answer Questions
1. Xan and Theo salute which historical moment on the bridge near Xan's home?
2. Why does Theo come to the museum in the first place?
3. Xan's large home becomes what in later years?
4. Finish the quote. "If we are dying we can die as human beings, not as _____."
5. What is the first of the Five Fishes' concerns that Theo speaks of at the meeting in Chapter 12?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)