|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Xan's home in Dorset called?
2. How does the author describe the drawing on the Five Fishes' pamphlet that Theo has been delivered?
3. Why is Digby afraid of Theo?
(a) He is crazy.
(b) Theo threatened him.
(c) He fears he will alert the state that he needs to be taken to the Quietus.
(d) He thinks he recognizes him as someone who attacked him in the street.
4. Who is the Five Fishes' pamphlet addressed to?
(a) To those concerned with injustice.
(b) To Xan Lyppiatt and the Council of England.
(c) To the citizens of the world.
(d) To the people of Britain.
5. What secret of his father does Xan reveal to Theo while they walk in the park?
(a) He was a criminal.
(b) He was gay.
(c) He was a drug addict.
(d) He kept mistresses.
6. When Theo is frustrated during his conversation in Chapter 14, what does the author say he wishes to do?
(a) Bang his head.
(b) Fall to the ground.
(c) Jump into traffic.
(d) Pray for mercy.
7. What is the first of the Five Fishes' concerns that Theo speaks of at the meeting in Chapter 12?
(a) The Quietus.
(b) An election.
(c) The Sojourners.
(d) The Isle of Man.
8. What is Julian's most notable physical feature?
(a) She's missing a thumb.
(b) Bright blue eyes.
(c) Thick eyebrows.
(d) A disfigured hand.
9. How does Theo remember Julian from when he taught her in class?
10. What does Theo still refuse to believe about Xan after he has met with him for the first time in years?
(a) He is evil.
(b) He likes the idea of the Man Penal Colony.
(c) He has become religious.
(d) He is unloved.
11. On what anniversary that Helena seems ignorant of does she call Theo on the phone?
(a) Thirty years since they married.
(b) One year since she left him.
(c) Twenty-seven years since their daughter died.
(d) One year since his mother died.
12. Why does Theo come to the museum in the first place?
(a) He wants to reconnect with the memories of his daughter.
(b) To meet Julian.
(c) To leave his response for the Five Fishes.
(d) He misses his childhood days with Xan.
13. What is Theo's old driver's name?
14. What is the Quietus?
(a) Rioting by renegades.
(b) Scientists use stem cells to breed a new human race.
(c) Women are injected with questionable fertility drugs.
(d) The elderly perform a mass suicide.
15. Whose sperm is tested as mandated by British law?
(a) That of healthy and pre-selected men.
(b) University degree holding men.
(c) Any man without a criminal record.
(d) All men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Grenadiers?
2. Where does Theo tell the Five Fishes he will go after he meets them for the first time?
3. What is the name of the course Theo has taught to the Chief Inspector's niece?
4. What does Theo expect in the near future as he contemplates his meeting with the SSP?
5. Who has Theo previously been to Blythburgh with?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)