|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Weir, what did Mary most likely suffer from that accounted for her not giving birth?
2. Why were the Protestant rebels stopped in London?
3. Before Philip left to help Charles V in his wars, what did he ask Mary to do?
4. How did Mary respond to heretics during her Counter-Reformation?
5. Who was appointed Lord Chancellor and Keeper of the Great Seal and was Queen Mary's trusted adviser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Philip's behavior and feeling toward Mary, and why is it significant?
2. Describe the relationship between Philip and Elizabeth at Hampton Court, and why was it significant?
3. How did the English people respond to Mary's marriage to Philip?
4. What was Mary's state of mind at the end of her life?
5. Discuss Elizabeth's confinement in the Tower and what it revealed about her character?
6. How did Elizabeth respond to being recalled to Whitehall by her sister, and why is it significant?
7. How did Mary want to deal with Elizabeth regarding Wyatt's rebellion, and why is it significant?
8. Why was Mary reluctant to execute Jane Grey, and what was the council's response?
9. How was Philip of Spain greeted when he arrived in England?
10. How did Philip behave in Brussels during the process of Charles V's abdication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Tower of London looms large in Weir's book, not only literally, in the sense of the many people sent there, but also figuratively, in the sense of what it represented in society. Choose three people who were sent to the Tower and discuss how it affected them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tyranny of power in the monarchy, paying close attention to the players who fought for, gained, and lost power.
1. Investigate two people who held titles within the court and abuse their power within the monarchy.
2. Investigate two members within the royal family and how they wielded power.
Essay Topic 3
Weir discusses religious oppression in Tudor England. Choose two people and discuss how religious oppression affected them.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)