|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Henry VIII's second wife?
2. Why did the Earl of Hertford believe he should be the Lord Protector of England after Henry VIII's death?
3. What was the penalty for being a heretic in Tudor England?
4. What was Francis van der Delft planning before he was recalled home because of ill health?
5. What was the rumor circulating about Mary's involvement with the uprisings against the Act of Uniformity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What document did Mary have to sign after being welcomed back into the court by Henry VIII's third wife, Jane Seymour, that affected her for the rest of her life?
2. What do some historians suggest about Elizabeth's illness during the summer of 1548 after Katherine Parr discovered her and Thomas Seymour in one another's arms, and what is Weir's position?
3. How does Weir describe Mary's character and why is it significant?
4. What actions did Duke of Northumberland take after he betrothed Jane Grey to Guilford?
5. After fleeing Kenninghall when it is set fire by Protestants, what did Mary tell her councilors and household and why was it significant?
6. What were the consequences for Jane Grey after the arrest and death of Thomas Seymour?
7. What was Edward's reputation as a young king?
8. What was Elizabeth's reputation following Thomas Seymour's death and what did it signify?
9. What caused the Duke of Somerset and Lord Protector Edward Seymour to be overthrown by John Dudley?
10. Describe Thomas Seymour's attempted coup and what did he claim when it failed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three major acts and three major edicts from the book and discuss their intended purposes, as well as their actual outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
As siblings, Edward, Elizabeth, and Mary shared the same father but had little else in common. Discuss Edward's, Elizabeth's, and Mary's lives as siblings. What were the similarities and differences between them as people and as royals?
Essay Topic 3
Dissect Leo Tolstoy's famous quote as it pertains to the Tudor Family: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)