|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Charles V abdicated the throne, what did Philip's brother, the Archduke Ferdinand, become?
(a) Cardinal Ferdinand.
(b) King of Spain.
(c) Holy Roman Emperor.
(d) Lord Protector.
2. Besides banning the Book of Common Prayer, what two other acts were made during the first Parliament session after Mary was crowned?
(a) Banning marriage of priests; declaring Henry VIII's marriage to Katherine of Aragon valid.
(b) Allowing marriage of priests; declaring Henry VIII's marriage to Katherine of Aragon valid.
(c) Allowing marriage of priests; declaring Henry VIII's marriage to Katherine of Aragon invalid.
(d) Banning marriage of priests; declaring Henry VIII's marriage to Katherine of Aragon invalid.
3. What were Philip II's motives for returning to England?
4. How did Elizabeth feel about her guardian when she was placed under house arrest?
(a) She resented him.
(b) She loved him.
(c) She appreciated him.
(d) She feared him.
5. When Mary did not deliver by the end of May, what did she believe?
(a) God was punishing her for failing to marry when she was a young woman.
(b) God was punishing her for failing to provide clemency to heretics.
(c) God was punishing her for failing to sufficiently punish heresy.
(d) God was punishing her for failing to adequately provide for the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Philip left to help Charles V in his wars, what did he ask Mary to do?
2. After the rebellion was stopped in London, how did the queen's councilors view its creation?
3. In whose care was Elizabeth placed when she was under house arrest?
4. Who had passed an act that considered Cardinal Pole a traitor?
5. How did the English people feel toward Philip of Spain once he was married to the queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personal disadvantages did Mary have as Queen of England, and what did this foretell for her future reign?
2. Why were the councilors undecided about what they should do with Elizabeth, and what choice did they eventually make?
3. What was Mary's state of mind after Philip left ,and what was her attitude toward Elizabeth?
4. Why did Charles V put forth Philip of Spain as a candidate for marriage to Queen Mary?
5. What was Philip's state of mind at Hampton Court regarding Mary not giving birth, and why did he leave?
6. What was the purpose of the Counter-Reformation, and what did it do?
7. Why did the queen's councilors want to wait before having Elizabeth marry, and how is it significant?
8. How did the English people respond to Mary's marriage to Philip?
9. How did Jane Grey and her husband Guilford compose themselves at their execution, and why was it significant?
10. How did Mary want to deal with Elizabeth regarding Wyatt's rebellion, and why is it significant?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)