|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Stephen Gardiner want Elizabeth kept while others were reluctant because they believed she would soon take the throne after her sister's death?
(a) Manor of Oxford.
(c) The Tower.
2. What rumor circulated in early May, 1555, about Mary giving birth?
(a) That she gave birth to a prince and was near death.
(b) That she gave birth to a mole and was near death.
(c) That she gave birth to a princess and was recovering.
(d) That she gave birth to a mole but was recovering.
3. What act did Parliament repeal so that England could be reunited?
(a) Act of Succession.
(b) Act of Reformation.
(c) Act of Uniformity.
(d) Act of Supremacy.
4. How did Mary feel about her husband Philip of Spain, according to Weir?
(a) She was indifferent.
(b) She was infatuated.
(c) She was indolent.
(d) She was irked.
5. What did Queen Mary vow to do after the rebellion was stopped in London?
(a) Never knight Protestant royals.
(b) Show clemency to traitors.
(c) Never show clemency to traitors.
(d) Knight Protestant royals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Philip of Spain perceived as Queen Mary's husband?
2. How was Philip of Spain greeted when he arrived in England?
3. When Philip arrived in Brussels to help Charles V in his wars, what did his father begin to do?
4. Besides banning the Book of Common Prayer, what two other acts were made during the first Parliament session after Mary was crowned?
5. What was Frances Brandon's second husband's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the English people respond to Mary's marriage to Philip?
2. How did Mary feel about Philip, and why is it significant?
3. How did Philip behave in Brussels during the process of Charles V's abdication?
4. Why did Mary retract Jane Grey's privileges at the Tower, and under what condition did she offer her a reprieve?
5. Why was the Protestant rebellion squelched by Mary, and what did it signify for her councilors?
6. How was Philip of Spain greeted when he arrived in England?
7. What was Philip's state of mind at Hampton Court regarding Mary not giving birth, and why did he leave?
8. Why did the queen's councilors want to wait before having Elizabeth marry, and how is it significant?
9. What was Mary's state of mind at the end of her life?
10. What was the Act for the Renewing of Three Statues made for the Punishment of Heresies, and how was it significant?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)