|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary did not deliver by the end of May, what did she believe?
(a) God was punishing her for failing to provide clemency to heretics.
(b) God was punishing her for failing to adequately provide for the poor.
(c) God was punishing her for failing to sufficiently punish heresy.
(d) God was punishing her for failing to marry when she was a young woman.
2. What relative of Philip's died while awaiting the birth of a child that he could not leave?
(a) Queen Juana.
(b) Queen Isabella.
(c) King Charles.
(d) King Edward.
3. How was Philip of Spain perceived as Queen Mary's husband?
(a) Old and distinguished.
(b) Young and attractive.
(c) Old and feeble.
(d) Young and homely.
4. When Philip II was excommunicated by Rome, what was Mary forced to do?
(a) Choose her husband or her religion.
(b) Provide an heir to the throne.
(c) Name Elizabeth as a successor.
(d) Leave the church.
5. How did Prince Philip of Spain's wife Maria of Portugal die?
6. Before Philip left to help Charles V in his wars, what did he ask Mary to do?
(a) Condemn Protestant heretics.
(b) Visit the Tower.
(c) Treat Elizabeth with respect.
(d) Abdicate the throne.
7. How did Mary feel about her sister Elizabeth who stayed at court after Philip's departure?
(a) She respected her.
(b) She loved her.
(c) She feared her.
(d) She despised her.
8. What did Queen Mary want Elizabeth to do?
(a) Become Catholic.
(b) Leave England.
(c) Rule jointly.
(d) Marry nobility.
9. How old was Mary when she had her first physical relationship with a man?
10. What act did Parliament repeal so that England could be reunited?
(a) Act of Supremacy.
(b) Act of Uniformity.
(c) Act of Succession.
(d) Act of Reformation.
11. According to Weir what was Mary's life goal that was a crowning achievement?
(a) To allow all religions as "one faith."
(b) To eradicate "traitors" from the kingdom.
(c) To follow England's "manifest destiny."
(d) To bring England back to the "true faith."
12. Why did the harvest of 1555 fail where the people blamed Queen Mary for their misfortune?
13. What happened when Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk, reached out to communicate with his daughter Jane Grey after he was captured?
(a) It was too late for conversion.
(b) They did not reconciled.
(c) They reconciled.
(d) They converted.
14. Who was appointed Lord Chancellor and Keeper of the Great Seal and was Queen Mary's trusted adviser?
(a) Guilford Dudley.
(b) Edward Courtenay.
(c) Stephen Gardiner.
(d) William Cecil.
15. What was Lord Chancellor's reputation as a Catholic adviser to Queen Mary?
(a) An incompetent.
(b) A spender.
(c) A bully.
(d) A moderate.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Philip left to help Charles V in his wars, how was Mary's state of mind about his departure?
2. What was the name of Frances Brandon, Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk's widow, marry after his execution?
3. Why were the Protestant rebels stopped in London?
4. After Philip left to help Charles V in his wars, what did Elizabeth do in order NOT to incite Mary's anger?
5. What was the tradition for queens and kings as they awaited the birth of their child?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)