|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the public believe about Edward Seymour, the Duke of Somerset's actions regarding his brother Thomas's death?
(a) That it was for the greater good.
(b) That it was an act of fratricide.
(c) That it was an accident.
(d) That it was an act of self-defence.
2. What is the name of the park that Weir states the king's body really lie?
(a) Greenwich park.
(b) Dartmoor park.
(c) Northumberland park.
(d) Pembrokeshire park.
3. Which queen did Henry VIII annul his marriage to after only six months?
(a) Anne Boleyn.
(b) Katherine Parr.
(c) Katherine Howard.
(d) Anne of Cleves.
4. What did Thomas Seymour's allies warn him against?
(a) Not attempting a coup.
(b) Not blackmailing the king.
(c) Blackmailing the king.
(d) Attempting a coup.
5. What did John Dudley, Earl of Warwick and Duke of Northumberland, convince Edward VI to do before his death?
(a) Change the succession.
(b) Crown him the king.
(c) Condemn Mary to death.
(d) Pardon him from treason.
6. When Protestants heard that Mary was staying with a Catholic gentleman, what did they do to his house?
(a) Hurl rotten food at his house.
(b) Set fire to his house.
(c) Throw stones at his house.
(d) Paint blood on his house.
7. Why was religious conflict imminent after King Edward VI ascended the throne?
(a) Because King Edward VI was a devout Protestant and his sister Mary a devout Catholic.
(b) Because Elizabeth was a devout Protestant and her sister Mary a devout Catholic.
(c) Because Mary was a devout Protestant and her sister Elizabeth a devout Catholic.
(d) Because King Edward VI was a devout Catholic and his sister Mary a devout Protestant.
8. When Mary fled to Kenninghall, she stated that she was the true queen by "____and____law"?
(a) Divine; necessary.
(b) Divine; human.
(c) Human; common.
(d) Necessary; common.
9. What skill did Elizabeth posses that she was praised for, according to Weir?
(a) Her skill in singing.
(b) Her skill in painting.
(c) Her skill in math.
(d) Her skill in languages.
10. How many wives did Henry VIII have?
11. How old was Elizabeth when Thomas Seymour moved in with Katherine Parr?
12. What did Thomas Seymour blackmail Sir William Sharington for?
(a) For spying on the king.
(b) For blackmailing the king.
(c) For consorting with the king.
(d) For defrauding the king.
13. What was Elizabeth's response to John Dudley, Earl of Warwick and Duke of Northumberland's bribe to have her relinquish her claim to the throne?
(a) She said she wouldn't do it unless he gave up power.
(b) She said she wouldn't do it.
(c) She said she would do it.
(d) She said she wouldn't do it unless her sister did.
14. When Earl Hertford was knighted, what did his title become?
(a) Duke of York.
(b) Duke of Warwick.
(c) Duke of Hertford.
(d) Duke of Somerset.
15. Which councilor did not sign the letter to Mary that Queen Jane was invested and crowned?
(a) Edward Seymour.
(b) Roger Ascham.
(c) William Cecil.
(d) Stephen Gardiner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the Duke of Somerset not able to gain support with people of his own rank when he was appointed Lord Protector in 1547?
2. Why was it fashionable for courtiers to pursue arts and literature and not sports and tournaments when Edward VI reigned?
3. Who had to sign a document that declared that her mother's marriage to Henry VIII was unlawful?
4. What was Jane Grey's reaction to her ascending the throne after Edward VI's death?
5. How many days did John Dudley, Earl of Warwick and Duke of Northumberland, keep the king's death a secret?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)