|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Edward VI when John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, invited him to attend council meetings?
2. What was Thomas Seymour's motive for entering the king's chamber with a forged key?
(a) To kidnap him.
(b) To steal from him.
(c) To kill him.
(d) To torture him.
3. According to Weir, what could John Dudley, Earl of Warwick and Duke of Northumberland, have done with the king's body to avoid an autopsy?
(a) Hid it.
(b) Buried it.
(c) Burned it.
(d) Switched it.
4. Why didn't the Italian doctor inform the court of Edward VI's condition?
(a) Because the court was out of session during the king's trip.
(b) Because the king insisted his condition remain a secret.
(c) Because he wasn't confident that his diagnosis was correct.
(d) Because it was treason to predict the death of the king.
5. In addition to declaring that the Book of Common Prayer be used in all church services, what other decree did this Act of Uniformity declare?
(a) That unmarried women could not travel unaccompanied.
(b) That anyone celebrating Roman Catholic Mass could be imprisoned.
(c) That children born out of wedlock would be sent out of country.
(d) That clergy had ultimate authority over the populace.
6. What was the rumor circulating about Elizabeth's illness that Weir said there was no truth to?
(a) That she attempted suicide.
(b) That she was not ill.
(c) That she had a sexually transmitted disease.
(d) That she had a miscarriage.
7. Why was religious conflict imminent after King Edward VI ascended the throne?
(a) Because Mary was a devout Protestant and her sister Elizabeth a devout Catholic.
(b) Because King Edward VI was a devout Catholic and his sister Mary a devout Protestant.
(c) Because Elizabeth was a devout Protestant and her sister Mary a devout Catholic.
(d) Because King Edward VI was a devout Protestant and his sister Mary a devout Catholic.
8. Who raised Henry VIII's second daughter Elizabeth?
(a) Katherine Parr.
(b) Katherine of Aragon.
(c) Katherine Ashley.
(d) Katherine Howard.
9. Which queen did Henry VIII annul his marriage to after only six months?
(a) Katherine Howard.
(b) Anne Boleyn.
(c) Katherine Parr.
(d) Anne of Cleves.
10. What did Mary press the Edward Seymour, the Duke of Somerset, to grant her until Edward came of age?
(a) Religious freedom.
(b) The right of bear arms.
(c) Freedom of speech.
(d) The right to marry.
11. On what grounds did Henry divorce Katherine of Aragon?
(a) The grounds that their marriage was faithless.
(b) The grounds that their marriage was incestuous.
(c) The grounds that their marriage was loveless.
(d) The grounds that their marriage was worthless.
12. Who did Thomas Seymour shoot when his armed men entered the king's chamber with a forged key?
(a) The king's dog.
(b) The king's mistress.
(c) The king's cat.
(d) The king.
13. What was the name of the Italian doctor who didn't inform the court of Edward VI's condition?
(a) Gregorio Creola.
(b) Galileo Cecato.
(c) Girolamo Cardano.
(d) Gilberto Colabera.
14. What was Elizabeth's response to John Dudley, Earl of Warwick and Duke of Northumberland's bribe to have her relinquish her claim to the throne?
(a) She said she would do it.
(b) She said she wouldn't do it unless he gave up power.
(c) She said she wouldn't do it.
(d) She said she wouldn't do it unless her sister did.
15. Which councilor did not sign the letter to Mary that Queen Jane was invested and crowned?
(a) Edward Seymour.
(b) Stephen Gardiner.
(c) William Cecil.
(d) Roger Ascham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with the Earl of Hertford, Archbishop ______ held a prominent position on the council after Henry VIII's death.
2. What year did Parliament pass the Act of Uniformity that declared the Book of Common Prayer to be used in all church services?
3. According to Weir, _________was invited back to the household after Elizabeth was restored to favor to share her intellectual pursuits.
4. What was the name of the tutor Elizabeth persuaded her guardians to appoint?
5. What was the name of Henry VIII's final wife, who encouraged him to reinstate Mary in succession?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)