|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen find Charles hanging out when he follows Thelma's directions to find her husband?
2. What does Stephen think have similarities and should be paid attention to in education for children?
3. Where do Stephen's parents live?
4. What is Stephen's mother's name?
5. What is the truck driver's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Stephen demands that the chauffeur stop the car?
2. What does Stephen purchase for Kate's birthday and what does it signify to him?
3. How does Stephen respond to the Prime Minister's secretary's request for a second meeting?
4. When Stephen rescues the truck driver, how does the man respond?
5. When Morely gives Stephen the book, what does it reveal about the government, subcommittees, and the actual research?
6. What does Stephen realize after going to the school and not finding Kate?
7. How does Stephen spend Kate's birthday?
8. When the chauffeur arrives to pick up Stephen, how does he respond to Stephen's comments about the ragged car?
9. What did Stephen become interested in when his mother had insisted that he take a nap in the middle of the day as a child?
10. How does Stephen survive the crash with the truck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Thelma. What is her role in the story? What was McEwan trying to accomplish by creating Thelma's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In The Child In Time, Stephen appears to travel through time seamlessly. Time and space have more ambiguous boundaries? What do you think of the way time and space are portrayed in The Child In Time? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How does this relate to the past and memories? How does this affect future events?
Essay Topic 3
Julie and Stephen are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Julie had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Stephen had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger, and why?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)