|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stayed in bed when Stephen took Kate to the market?
2. What does Julie do with Kate's possessions one day?
3. What is the reason given for the politician's resignation?
4. What group was Stephen's first book about?
5. What is Stephen's first book called, originally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Stephen feel like a prosperous dad at the market?
2. Why are Stephen and Julie still at odds even after having sex?
3. How does Stephen view the sex that he had with Julie in the months afterward?
4. How does Hashish become Lemonade?
5. When Julie came back from Chilterns, why were she and Stephen only able to stay together briefly?
6. How did Thelma help Stephen during his struggle with Kate's disappearance?
7. How does Charles convince Stephen to publish the book as a children's one?
8. How is Kate attired the day she is missing?
9. What is Stephen hopeful for as he waits for Julie?
10. Why did Stephen take Kate to the market alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McEwan uses more than one iteration on the motif of grief and loss. Identify at least two motifs about grief and loss in the book. Then, cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Thelma. What is her role in the story? What was McEwan trying to accomplish by creating Thelma's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Julie and Stephen are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Julie had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Stephen had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger, and why?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)