|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen give the person in a yellow frock at the train station?
2. Where is it hinted that Kate might be found dead?
3. What does Stephen do with Julie when he gets to her house after leaving the pub?
4. Where is the meeting held that Stephen attends on Reading and Writing?
5. How does Stephen wander around looking for Kate at the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thelma help Stephen during his struggle with Kate's disappearance?
2. How does Stephen look for Kate when she disappears?
3. What happens when Stephen submits his first novel to Gott's?
4. What does Julie do that makes Stephen angry with Julie?
5. Why did Stephen take Kate to the market alone?
6. How did Charles make the move into politics?
7. When Julie came back from Chilterns, why were she and Stephen only able to stay together briefly?
8. What makes Stephen feel like a prosperous dad at the market?
9. How does Stephen view the sex that he had with Julie in the months afterward?
10. What is Stephen's first novel originally about before it becomes a children's book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Child In Time is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Julie and Stephen are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Julie had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Stephen had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a recurring theme in The Child In Time. How does Julie's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has she expanded her awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Julie? How does her feelings for Stephen develop and change and how does her relationship with him contrast with that of other men that she has had romantic or an idealized relationship with?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)