|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the stuffed animal toy that Kate held the day she disappeared?
2. Who feels very guilty about Kate's disappearance?
3. What does Stephen think that men are certain they are doing right with regard to their places in life and their abilities?
4. Whose meeting does Stephen attend on Reading and Writing?
5. In what genre does the editor of Gott suggest putting Stephen's first book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephen view the sex that he had with Julie in the months afterward?
2. How does Julie initially cope with Kate's disappearance?
3. How is Julie described in Chapter 1?
4. What is Stephen's memory about bicycles that he wants to remember with his family, and why does it bring about some fear and regret in him?
5. How does Hashish become Lemonade?
6. How did Charles make the move into politics?
7. What is Stephen's first novel originally about before it becomes a children's book?
8. Why did Stephen take Kate to the market alone?
9. How does the young girl in yellow at the station interact with Stephen?
10. Why are Stephen and Julie still at odds even after having sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for The Child In Time. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did McEwan choose to use these places in The Child In Time?
Essay Topic 2
The government plays a pivotal role in maintaining the status quo and upholding certain expectations of etiquette and power dynamics. Who epitomizes this in The Child In Time? Who questions this? How is rebellion expressed and how is it squashed?
Essay Topic 3
The Child In Time is a classic dystopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)