|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the stuffed animal toy that Kate held the day she disappeared?
2. What had Stephen been carefully progressing in doing with Julie before he visited her?
3. Who invites Stephen to her house on Eaton Square after the resignation?
4. What does Stephen think Julie is doing to herself after Kate's disappearance?
5. What is Stephen Lewis' profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stephen's first novel originally about before it becomes a children's book?
2. How did Thelma help Stephen during his struggle with Kate's disappearance?
3. How does Hashish become Lemonade?
4. What does Julie do that makes Stephen angry with Julie?
5. What makes Stephen feel like a prosperous dad at the market?
6. How did Charles make the move into politics?
7. When Julie came back from Chilterns, why were she and Stephen only able to stay together briefly?
8. What is Stephen hopeful for as he waits for Julie?
9. What happens when Stephen submits his first novel to Gott's?
10. How is Kate attired the day she is missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ian McEwan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. McEwan refers to the politics of the society of The Child In Time during 1987 when Thatcher was in power. How does the politics Ian describes in the book compare to that of his own world? Do you think politics are an important part of the book? How else could McEwan incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
McEwan uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)