|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen talk to at the school about Kate?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A priest.
(c) A girl.
(d) A boy.
2. Who appears to talk to Stephen at the subcommittee in a formal way?
(a) The Secretary of State.
(b) The Prime Minister.
(c) The President.
(d) The Children's Fund Officer.
3. By depriving a child of the written word, what does Stephen fear a child will lose?
(a) The power to explore.
(b) The power to question.
(c) The power to question.
(d) The power to argue.
4. What memory does Stephen share with his parents that his mother agrees with, but his father disagrees with?
(a) Bicycle memory.
(b) School memory.
(c) Food memory.
(d) Car memory.
5. What has Charles built that surprises Stephen?
(a) A playground.
(b) A treehouse.
(c) A table.
(d) A fort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen sit in the car that comes to pick him up for his meeting with the Prime Minister?
2. Where does Stephen find Charles hanging out when he follows Thelma's directions to find her husband?
3. Who does Stephen's mother decide to marry after she sees the child in the window?
4. What does Stephen watch in the evenings at his house?
5. What does Stephen think have similarities and should be paid attention to in education for children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the handbook excerpt say that it is acceptable to bribe children for good behavior?
2. How does Stephen survive the crash with the truck?
3. When Stephen talks about his bicycle memory near the sea, how do his parents respond?
4. Why does the driver of the truck want Stephen to write down two notes?
5. What was Stephen's experience in Africa as a child?
6. How does Stephen work through his feelings about Julie and her leaving him?
7. What does Stephen purchase for Kate's birthday and what does it signify to him?
8. How does Stephen spend Kate's birthday?
9. What happens when Stephen demands that the chauffeur stop the car?
10. Why does the young man at the subcommittee meeting believe that learning written languages at an early age is not a good idea?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)