|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen hold on to as a lifeline after Kate's disappearance?
(a) His project.
(b) His notebook.
(c) His alcohol.
(d) His wife.
2. By overcoming what they find difficult to learn, what can children achieve, according to the young man at the committee?
(a) A sense of accomplishment.
(b) A sense of power.
(c) A sense of loss.
(d) A sense of pride.
3. How does Stephen travel to see Julie?
(a) By boat.
(b) By rail.
(c) By bus.
(d) By car.
4. After Kate disappears, how does Stephen's life change?
(a) There is a lack of purpose.
(b) There is a lack of structure.
(c) There is a lack of money.
(d) There is a lack of emotion.
5. In what category does Stephen submit his first book to Gott?
(a) Children's fiction.
(c) Science fiction.
(d) Adult fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets angry with Julie for what she does with Kate's possessions one day?
2. What does Stephen receive for his first book as encouragement to change the genre?
3. Who stayed in bed when Stephen took Kate to the market?
4. How old is Stephen's daughter when she goes missing?
5. What is Stephen's first book renamed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles convince Stephen to publish the book as a children's one?
2. When Julie came back from Chilterns, why were she and Stephen only able to stay together briefly?
3. How does Stephen view the sex that he had with Julie in the months afterward?
4. What makes Stephen feel like a prosperous dad at the market?
5. How is Kate attired the day she is missing?
6. How did Charles make the move into politics?
7. How does Julie initially cope with Kate's disappearance?
8. What is Stephen hopeful for as he waits for Julie?
9. What is Stephen's memory about bicycles that he wants to remember with his family, and why does it bring about some fear and regret in him?
10. How does Julie deal with the loss of Kate by the end of Chapter 1?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)