|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Stephen's theories about Kate's disappearance?
(a) She was taken to replace a dead child.
(b) She was taken to replace a lost child.
(c) She was taken to replace a stillborn child.
(d) She was taken to replace a desired child.
2. What does Stephen give the person in a yellow frock at the train station?
(a) A donation.
(b) A letter.
(c) A book.
(d) Some drugs.
3. Who does Stephen fail to look for when he is frantically looking for Kate?
(a) Police officers.
4. How is Kate lost?
(a) She gets lost under a gate.
(b) She is kidnapped.
(c) She gets stuck in a tornado.
(d) She disappears in a crowd.
5. What does Stephen have a vague memory of riding with his father?
6. By overcoming what they find difficult to learn, what can children achieve, according to the young man at the committee?
(a) A sense of loss.
(b) A sense of power.
(c) A sense of accomplishment.
(d) A sense of pride.
7. Who invites Stephen to her house on Eaton Square after the resignation?
8. How does Stephen wander around looking for Kate at the market?
(a) On foot.
(b) On bicycle.
(c) In a bus.
(d) In a car.
9. What does Stephen wonder if he did too soon with Julie?
(d) Sleep with her.
10. When Stephen is worried that Kate might come when he is gone, what does his friend leave behind to comfort him?
(a) A note.
(b) A key.
(c) A book.
(d) A phone.
11. Who does Stephen come to learn has resigned from life in politics?
12. In the new version of the book, what is crazed sex replaced by?
(a) Hippies eating.
(b) Women crying.
(c) Men gambling.
(d) Youngsters holding hands.
13. What does the person in a yellow frock at the train station call Stephen?
(a) A rich creep.
(b) A generous man.
(c) An old fool.
(d) A smart guy.
14. How does Stephen acquire wealth and fame at Gott's publishing house?
(a) A conscious choice.
(b) An accident.
(c) A twist of fate.
(d) A clerical error.
15. Who does Stephen see in the window at the pub?
(a) A priest.
(b) A young couple.
(c) A group of students.
(d) A teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie do with Kate's possessions one day?
2. For how long is Stephen unhappy about what happened at Julie's house?
3. In what genre does the editor of Gott suggest putting Stephen's first book?
4. Although he did not pay at the market, what was bagged up for Stephen?
5. What does Stephen think that men are certain they are doing right with regard to their places in life and their abilities?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)