|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose meeting does Stephen attend on Reading and Writing?
(a) The Official Commission on Child Care's Subcommittee.
(b) The Official Commission on Transportation Subcommittee.
(c) The Official Commission on Environment Subcommittee.
(d) The Official Commission on Education Subcommittee.
2. What does a speaker at the committee say is difficult for children to learn?
(a) Written languages.
3. Who stayed in bed when Stephen took Kate to the market?
4. On whom has Stephen built an entire life of dependence?
5. Where is it hinted that Kate might be found dead?
(a) Under the car.
(b) At home.
(c) At the cellar.
(d) At the dock.
6. Who helps Stephen get out of his house after Kate disappears?
7. What is the name of the pub where Stephen goes after he gets Julie's note?
(a) The Alchemist.
(b) The Foundry.
(c) The Bell.
(d) The Mission.
8. When Stephen gets home, who does he tell about Kate's disappearance?
9. Who feels very guilty about Kate's disappearance?
10. Who does Stephen meet with at Gott who convinces him to change the genre of his book?
11. Who does Stephen tell at the market that Kate has disappeared?
(a) The police.
(b) His employee.
(c) His friends.
(d) His boss.
12. What does Stephen have a vague memory of riding with his father?
13. How does Julie respond to Kate's disappearance?
(a) She withdraws.
(b) She cries a lot.
(c) She fights a lot.
(d) She is animated.
14. What was Stephen doing when Kate disappeared?
(a) Locking the car.
(b) Tying his shoelaces.
(c) Peeing in the bathroom.
(d) Paying for items.
15. What is one of Stephen's theories about Kate's disappearance?
(a) She was taken to replace a desired child.
(b) She was taken to replace a stillborn child.
(c) She was taken to replace a dead child.
(d) She was taken to replace a lost child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen wonder if he did too soon with Julie?
2. In what category does Stephen submit his first book to Gott?
3. By overcoming what they find difficult to learn, what can children achieve, according to the young man at the committee?
4. Who does Stephen encounter in a yellow frock at the train station?
5. What group was Stephen's first book about?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)