• Stephen Lewis, a children's writer, encounters a young girl dressed in a yellow frock, who is a beggar.
• He gives her more than a usual donation but she calls him a "rich creep."
• Stephen attends a meeting of the Official Commission on Child Care's Subcommittee on Reading and Writing in Whitehall under Lord Parmenter.
• Stephen's mind wanders and he thinks about the day his 3-year old daughter Kate when missing in the local market.
• Kate was wearing a red scarf and held a donkey in her arms that day.
• Julie had stayed in bed that day as Stephen took Kate to the market to shop.
• After he paid for some items, he reached for Kate but she was missing.
• He tells the police and he wanders around on foot but cannot find her.
• When Stephen gets home, he tells Julie, his wife, a violinist.
• Julie spends most...
This section contains 1,812 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)